An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Communion Compared To "catholic Holy Communion."

White Knight

White Knight

[quote name='Budge' post='1248040' date='Apr 18 2007, 01:03 PM']Compare that percentage to how many asthmatics there are today, especially children.

Anyhow its a moot point, Im enjoying the grape juice, its perfectly fine for a Lords supper, I dont think God cares that there is NO alcohol content in the Protestant Christian Lords Supper.[/quote]

So do you think God would care if your being faithful or not to His Word?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Budge' post='1248040' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:03 PM']Anyhow its a moot point, Im enjoying the grape juice, its perfectly fine for a Lords supper, I dont think God cares that there is NO alcohol content in the Protestant Christian Lords Supper.[/quote]

The Gospel According to Budge.

In Budgianity, grape juice is OK. "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness," excpet for the bits that Budge disagrees with and that support the Catholic view of the Lord's Supper.

:saint:

1879 is the year unfermented grape juice was developed by Thomas Bramwell Welch. He was a dentist and a minister who objected to fermented wine being used in the communion service of his Protestant church. He was a teetotaler and very strong in the Temperance Movement.

What's so amazing to me is that unfermented grape juice and saltine crackers were used as "communion" at my Southern Baptist Church which clamed, as all Protestant churches claim, to strictly adhere to the Bible Alone -- Sola Scriptura. Jesus didn't turn water into grape juice at Cana! That wasn't grape juice at the Last Supper! And SB's didn't "take a little wine for our stomach's sake" as the Bible recommends. :P:

But since Protestants (with the exception of some Lutherans and Episcopalians) believe communion is merely symbolic, it doesn't matter what they use. Water would do just as well. I've even heard of hot chocolate and cinnamon toast being used. It's okay with me -- but just don't call grape juice biblical. And admit that Luther's doctrine of Sola Scriptura -- upon which all of Protestantism is based -- is unbiblical, unhistorical, and untenable, the most violated doctrine in Christian history.

Likos

Budge...why dont u just bust out the pizza, soda and watch a warn and fuzzy movie? Same difference really.

johnnydigit

[quote name='ReinnieR' post='1247994' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:01 AM']Grape Juice is not biblical[/quote]

:lol_roll:

that's going to be my new phrase with my friends. "HEY THAT'S NOT BIBLICAL!"
maybe we can push for a jeopardy category too.

[quote name='Budge' post='1247991' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:57 AM']and then you have alcoholics who need to avoid even a taste.[/quote]
I hope that wasn't intended as a blanket statement Budge.

Sorry Catholics, but to be biblical you must DRINK His blood (this cup) as well. Catholics are not required too. And in the past have been prohibited to. I know that you EAT His blood in the Host, but you don't DRINK it until there is "wine" and a cup involved. The Catholic answer, AFAIK, is that this is being picky and the Church can do what it wants. If the true Catholic answer is better than the one I gave, then please share it.

His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity are substantially present in the Host. By one host, you consume the whole and entire Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ. You do not "eat" his blood, receiving the host is exactly the same as drinking His blood.

a line must be drawn somewhere; and you are drawing it into a type of legalism. Yes, we are accused of legalism for our positions, but we are not legalists; we understand the substantial consumption of the Body and Blood of the Lord as that which Our Lord asks of us. To require it to be "drunk" would be like requiring us to "gnaw" in our consumption of the Host literally to the original text.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1248999' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:24 AM']To require it to be "drunk" would be like requiring us to "gnaw" in our consumption of the Host literally to the original text.[/quote]

:lol_roll: sometimes i chew it just for that exact reason. mostly because it's stuck to the roof of my mouth. then i remember hearing a nun say it's more reverent *not* to chew it. insignificant details i know, but i want to be the best i can be for Him! just gotta watch the scrupulousness..

thessalonian

[quote name='Paddington' post='1248934' date='Apr 19 2007, 01:34 AM']Sorry Catholics, but to be biblical you must DRINK His blood (this cup) as well. Catholics are not required too. And in the past have been prohibited to. I know that you EAT His blood in the Host, but you don't DRINK it until there is "wine" and a cup involved. The Catholic answer, AFAIK, is that this is being picky and the Church can do what it wants. If the true Catholic answer is better than the one I gave, then please share it.[/quote]

Gee, i've never heard that answer.
The cup is in fact partaken of at each and every Mass by the priest. At the last supper there were preists there and they were given this command. NOWHERE does it say the whole congregation must and in cases where there is a limited amount of wine or to many people it is simply not feesible or possible to have the whole congregation partake of the cup. The Church Fathers and the Church also view the meeting of Christ with the two men on the road to Emmaus as a Eucharistic event. "Their eyes were opened and they recognized him" AFTER they partook of the BREAD. No wine! It certainly is the fullest sign of the sacrament to have both but the bread and wine both contain the full Christ and so one or the other is not absolutely neccessary.

Christ is the guide and the example for the magesterium. We are to submit to them in such matters as Hebr 13:17 says they have concern for our souls, and quite evidently we don't all have a great grasp of every passage in the Bible that might excuse or condemn something. If he did it then it is okay to do. Check out Luke 24.

God bless.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Paddington' post='1248934' date='Apr 19 2007, 01:34 AM']Sorry Catholics, but to be biblical you must DRINK His blood (this cup) as well. Catholics are not required too. And in the past have been prohibited to. I know that you EAT His blood in the Host, but you don't DRINK it until there is "wine" and a cup involved. The Catholic answer, AFAIK, is that this is being picky and the Church can do what it wants. If the true Catholic answer is better than the one I gave, then please share it.[/quote]

The same Jesus Christ who said "...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood you have no life within you" also said "He who eats this bread shall live forever." And He said, "the Bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." We receive the LIVING Christ, whose body and blood cannot be separated. To receive either the consecrated bread or the consecrated wine is to receive the substance of the entire Christ, His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity.

St. Paul was teaching this when he wrote: "Therefore whoever eats the bread [b]-OR-[/b] drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty of profaning the body [b]-AND-[/b] blood of the Lord." (1 Cor 11:27).

The bread and wine are offered separately in [b][i]Sacrifice[/i][/b] (the Mass aka the Divine Liturgy is a sacrifice; its full name is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass), but they are transformed thereby into our LIVING Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and become our spiritual food -- food for our souls.

Likos

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1248121' date='Apr 18 2007, 03:15 PM']The Gospel According to Budge.

In Budgianity, grape juice is OK. "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness," excpet for the bits that Budge disagrees with and that support the Catholic view of the Lord's Supper.

:saint:[/quote]
Okay so...............my humility left the room with this one!!!!! "Budgianity" is a very ,very funny word!

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1249400' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:21 PM']Okay so...............my humility left the room with this one!!!!! "Budgianity" is a very ,very funny word![/quote]

I'm going to have to give props to Mateo el Feo for that (at least, I believe that the provenance of that term is with him).

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1248294' date='Apr 18 2007, 07:14 PM']:lol_roll:

that's going to be my new phrase with my friends. "HEY THAT'S NOT BIBLICAL!"
maybe we can push for a jeopardy category too.[/quote]
Maybe we should make it a new thread under open mic?????? JC