An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woman And Blacks

dairygirl4u2c

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

Men and women are equal when it comes to voting rights, and legal protection under the law.
Considering however, how poorly run the country is, maybe voting rights should be restricted to only women until some major issues are resolved.

Why is this poll aimed at conservatives and republicans? Republicans and conservatives were for granting equal right to blacks. It was southerners and democrats that fought it so fiercely. Ironically it was not such a conservative thing for them to be doing but it goes to the conservative ideal of self-determination.

toledo_jesus

I voted outrageously.

In reality, I think it is hard to apply our standards to a different time. None of us would have been brought up with the same experiences of race and gender that we have today. This isn't to deny that we can make a moral judgment on past actions, but rather to say that it wouldn't be productive to dwell on past mistakes.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1306589' date='Jun 30 2007, 03:59 PM']Men and women are equal when it comes to voting rights, and legal protection under the law.
Considering however, how poorly run the country is, maybe voting rights should be restricted to only women until some major issues are resolved.[/quote]
Yes, once we have run up our national debt with purchases of shoes and new upholstery then the issue of who should be in charge of government will be resolved.

game, set, match. :smokey:

:ninja:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1306836' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:03 PM']Yes, once we have run up our national debt with purchases of shoes and new upholstery then the issue of who should be in charge of government will be resolved.

game, set, match. :smokey:
:ninja:[/quote]

Its a darn sight better than buying guns, tanks, and more weapons with shiny buttons...

Laudate_Dominum

[quote]do you suppose you'd have wanted to deny women and blacks rights during the civil rights movement?[/quote]
"No" to the point that I find something offensive about such a question in the first place.

Although extrinsic to this thread, I would remark that I don't consider democracy to be the ideal form of government so in a sense I would abolish voting in general if I had a say in such matters. But certainly in the context of a culture and government such as ours I would consider it quite wrong to deny voting rights to persons because of race or sex.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1306847' date='Jun 30 2007, 08:09 PM']Its a darn sight better than buying guns, tanks, and more weapons with shiny buttons...[/quote]
I sense you were not amused by my comment. :mellow:

I wonder what would happen if we made it illegal for white men who made over half a million a year to vote... Or if felons could vote... Those would both be really interesting.

kamiller42

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1306847' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:09 PM']Its a darn sight better than buying guns, tanks, and more weapons with shiny buttons...[/quote]
Until you need them...

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='track2004' post='1308057' date='Jul 1 2007, 03:16 PM']I wonder what would happen if we made it illegal for white men who made over half a million a year to vote... Or if felons could vote... Those would both be really interesting.[/quote]
Interesting.