An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

Hey everyone. I need to know everything you can possibly tell me about Lifeteen. I haven't experienced it (although I've sort of experienced the spirit of Lifeteen being at FUS), but I might be using it here soon as a youth minister. Can anyone fill me in?

Note: Rad-trad comments, links, or materials will be deleted from this thread. Thanks.

Note: Personal opinions about Lifeteen are not relevant. It's not because I don't value your opinion, but because I'm trying to get professional assistance, not complaints.

God bless,

Micah

I am the by-product of LIFETEEN's model of youth ministry. They focus a lot on the relational-aspect of ministry: setting up an environment that is friendly, exciting, relaxing and comfortable for teens. They're very in-tune to pop-culture, much like the teens. Generally speaking, LIFETEEN is pretty charismatic in terms of it's theology, drawing a lot of attention to the power of the Holy Spirit.

I love LIFETEEN, and, if it is done properly (i.e.- a healthy balance between the relational and the evangelical sides of ministry), it can be very healthy and attractive to teens.

My prayers are with you, Raph. Let me know if you need any help...I'm sort of a LIFETEEN retreat expert (35 retreats and counting...)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kujo' post='1249605' date='Apr 19 2007, 06:52 PM']I am the by-product of LIFETEEN's model of youth ministry. They focus a lot on the relational-aspect of ministry: setting up an environment that is friendly, exciting, relaxing and comfortable for teens. They're very in-tune to pop-culture, much like the teens. Generally speaking, LIFETEEN is pretty charismatic in terms of it's theology, drawing a lot of attention to the power of the Holy Spirit.

I love LIFETEEN, and, if it is done properly (i.e.- a healthy balance between the relational and the evangelical sides of ministry), it can be very healthy and attractive to teens.

My prayers are with you, Raph. Let me know if you need any help...I'm sort of a LIFETEEN retreat expert (35 retreats and counting...)[/quote]
Actually, if you'd PM me with the details on their retreats...general time schedule, activities, talk topics, etc, I'd really appreciate it. I've done Koinonia (like TEC, but for college students), but Lifeteen is pretty new to me.

Don't know much about it. I did read about it awhile ago on a popular Catholic blog. The link is below.

[url="http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2004/07/lifeteen_and_gi.html"]http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/200...een_and_gi.html[/url]

Phatmass has had threads on it:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=1971"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=1971[/url]

goldenchild17

I was in Lifeteen for my 4 years of high school and then was an aide for a year. It's an interesting program. I can't support it theologically now due to my change in belief. But when I was a part of it I thought it was a fun thing to get teens at least a semi-decent grasp on the basics of their faith. I got increasingly less comfortable with the Lifeteen masses, but I'm not sure that's a requirement for the program. I'm sure you could do without those if you so chose. I think you should be able to get a hold of the Lifeteen program syllabi if you asked for it.

Lifeteen, like any program in teh church, can be really good if it is ran really good, and really bad if it is ran really bad.

That's about it.

I support well run Lifeteen programs.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1249715' date='Apr 19 2007, 09:28 PM']Lifeteen, like any program in teh church, can be really good if it is ran really good, and really bad if it is ran really bad.

That's about it.

I support well run Lifeteen programs.[/quote]

If you are exploring phormats for a youth group, may I suggest another option to consider. (Not a reflection on Lifeteen)

It is called The Dead Theologians Society. It is the phormat we use at my parish for our Youth Group and it works very nicely.

[url="http://www.deadtheologianssociety.com"]Dead Theologians Society[/url]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='dUSt' post='1249715' date='Apr 19 2007, 08:28 PM']I support well run Lifeteen programs.[/quote]
I do as well.

For those who simply came to show (even backhandedly) that there are Lifeteen abuses, there are abuses of the Tridentine Mass, too, since many priests before didn't know Latin very well.

However, I'm asking for information regarding Lifeteen, not regarding the privation of Lifeteen. ;)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Pontifex' post='1249763' date='Apr 19 2007, 09:22 PM']If you are exploring phormats for a youth group, may I suggest another option to consider. (Not a reflection on Lifeteen)

It is called The Dead Theologians Society. It is the phormat we use at my parish for our Youth Group and it works very nicely.
[url="http://www.deadtheologianssociety.com"]Dead Theologians Society[/url][/quote]
Yeah, I've heard of it and I support it, but the Lifeteen program is what I'll have to work with at the parish I'm hoping to work for.

[quote name='kujo' post='1249605' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:52 PM']I am the by-product of LIFETEEN's model of youth ministry. They focus a lot on the relational-aspect of ministry: setting up an environment that is friendly, exciting, relaxing and comfortable for teens. They're very in-tune to pop-culture, much like the teens. Generally speaking, LIFETEEN is pretty charismatic in terms of it's theology, drawing a lot of attention to the power of the Holy Spirit.

My prayers are with you, Raph. Let me know if you need any help...I'm sort of a LIFETEEN retreat expert (35 retreats and counting...)[/quote]

i agree with everything this post said.

not sure if this is what you want. but here's hte perspective of a current teenager/ lifeteen attendee :)...

there's a lifeteen parish really close to my house (not MY parish, but closer so i go to lifeteen a lot) and heres what ive seen. it is the best attended youth group in the county (ive been to most of hte youth groups at least once), and a lot of kids flock there from other parishes like me. the youth ministers are amazing and have really really close connections to the kids, basically on call 24 hours a day for emergencies/ just wanting to talk/needing someone. its a really welcoming community that is always trying to improve. however, i have heard that the focus of lifeteen is supposed to be the eucharist; lifeteen DOES have adoration once a month at this parish, but i'm not sure i would say that its focus is the eucharist. as you can see it's a wonderful community.

however, it seems to me that they try too hard to appeal to what they think teens want, and shy away from any real learning/ spiritual growth. it almost seems like a support group for any number of issues. i wouldnt really say that they 'water down' church doctrine, they just don't talk about it unless a specific question is asked. even then they ease into the issue and make the Church's teachings not sound as absolute as they are. i understand they're afraid of scaring teens away, but teens do have to know that church teaching on faith and morals is infallible...kids at the parish go week after week, and then are shocked to learn about church teachings on homosexuality, contraception, women 'priests', etc....

the youth ministers are really orthodox, i think they're just not bold [i]enough[/i] in their proclamation of the gospel. i'm sure thats a parish to parish thing, and with a little improvement would be amazing. lifeteen is definitely worth looking into if not actually adopting for a parish....if i was a youth minister i would take some lifeteen ideas, but not all.

Edited by aalpha1989

Before I read your post comment about rad-trads, I had resolved to tell you that I am NOT by any stretch of the imagination a rad-trad. I do however want to say that I am not in favor of Lifeteen for many reasons.

First of all, I have been to a [i]lot[/i] of Lifeteen Masses, both in Houston and a couple in Boston. When I lived in the city (Houston), I went to Mass on Sunday evenings a lot with my mom at different parishes, and they were often Lifeteen Masses. All of them, without exception, were irreverent. From the music to the teens on the sanctuary during the Consecration, there were a lot of problems liturgically. I would always leave sad. I have not gone to a Lifeteen Mass in the last two years at least so maybe this is different now liturgically. It seems like the movement should be fostering a devotion to the True Presence, and reverence for the Holy Eucharist. At all of the Lifeteens I have attended, it was not obvious that any of the young people understood what was going on and Who was substantially present after the Consecration. In Boston, the teens came into Mass fifteen minutes early, chewing gum, sitting on the backs of the pews (backs facing the tabernacle) having conversations. Others were occupied in giving their friends piggy-back rides around the church. During the Consecration, the group I was with was the only group which remained in the pews, as everyone else went onto the sanctuary and remained standing, up there, during the Canon of the Mass.

But I also don't like the idea of having a separate Mass for teens. Unlike liturgical problems, which of course are not a matter of personal opinion, but rather of Church authority, I have personal feelings on this subject (so, I'm just asserting my opinion and that's all). I don't think that teens should be encouraged to go to Mass separately from their families (if they are still living with them). To me, Sunday is a day of rest, generally to be spent with your family if possible. Most of the kids are with other teenagers every other day of the week. To me it seems like Sunday should be a day when you regroup in that family atmosphere, and reconnect, to prepare for the coming week [i]together[/i]. Lifeteen seems to draw kids away from their families during a time that has traditionally been family-centered.

I guess my main concern (aside from the liturgical abuses), from what I have observed by attending all of these Lifeteen Masses is, if you are going to start a movement specifically for teenagers concerning the Mass, it seems like your focus should be helping them to [i]understand[/i] the True Presence, and the importance of reverence, and the Church's teachings on/history of the Holy Mass. I think the focus of Lifeteen has been to teenager-ize the Mass.

That's my .02. Maybe other people have had better experiences.

I was involved for 5 years as an adult. What Lifeteen is is a box of suggestions that come quarterly, an awesome regional support team and an abundance of other benefits. What each parish does with these is up to them. It is a great tool but it is not something that you have to do all of.

The life expectancy of a youth minister as I am sure you know is unbelievably short, about 2 years if I remember correctly. One of the biggest issues for youth ministers is ideas and planning. Lifeteen provides pre-planned LifeNights. Lifenights are composed of 4 parts Gather - a intro(10min) to the night like an activity, proclaim(20min) - the teaching sometimes with sharing from a teen, break(20min) - break the teaching open and bringing it into the lives of the teens though small groups or other means, and the send(10min). Times varied by night.

The prepalnning allows leaders to spend their time ministering to teens rather than on the planning and ultimately that is what God has called a youth minister to. A few years ago Lifeteen took three years and went through the Catechism from beginning to end. All this said, we made up our own nights when an issue was identified.

We never used a Lifeteen retreat and our priests don't use the material for priests so I can't speak to them.

I hope that this helps

[quote name='Raphael' post='1249767' date='Apr 19 2007, 10:24 PM']Yeah, I've heard of it and I support it, but the Lifeteen program is what I'll have to work with at the parish I'm hoping to work for.[/quote]

I understand now. I offer the Lifeteen mass once a month at our Cathedral. I think that most of the liturgical abuses have been cleaned up.

honestly: I don't like the music they use at mass. I find it a distraction. Maybe it's just our local Lifeteen mass. I still support them.

Pontifex

Woah! Can of worms.

Personally, I like Lifeteen, but I believe that a person can be a great Youth Leader without relying on it. I do not use it, not because I disagree with it or anything, but because it just doesn't suit my parish needs or my priest's pastoral goals.

I think my advice is to not dive into the Lifeteen pool until you are sure it really suits your needs in your parish. It can be quite expensive.

I use the one based on [url="http://www.usccb.org/laity/youth/rtvintro.shtml"]Renewing the vision.[/url]

It is by marys press: [url="http://www.smp.org/NewReleases.cfm"]http://www.smp.org/NewReleases.cfm[/url] They have a lot of GREAT resources.

Lifeteen may be what works for your parish. I don't know. But I do know that I have seen many youth ministers who have tried to rely on it and failed because it was not the right program for them.

This is the set I use for resources: [url="http://www.smp.org//SeriesDetail.cfm?SeriesId=35"]http://www.smp.org//SeriesDetail.cfm?SeriesId=35[/url]