An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1249832' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:36 AM']Before I read your post comment about rad-trads, I had resolved to tell you that I am NOT by any stretch of the imagination a rad-trad. I do however want to say that I am not in favor of Lifeteen for many reasons.

First of all, I have been to a [i]lot[/i] of Lifeteen Masses, both in Houston and a couple in Boston. When I lived in the city (Houston), I went to Mass on Sunday evenings a lot with my mom at different parishes, and they were often Lifeteen Masses. All of them, without exception, were irreverent. From the music to the teens on the sanctuary during the Consecration, there were a lot of problems liturgically. I would always leave sad. I have not gone to a Lifeteen Mass in the last two years at least so maybe this is different now liturgically. It seems like the movement should be fostering a devotion to the True Presence, and reverence for the Holy Eucharist. At all of the Lifeteens I have attended, it was not obvious that any of the young people understood what was going on and Who was substantially present after the Consecration. In Boston, the teens came into Mass fifteen minutes early, chewing gum, sitting on the backs of the pews (backs facing the tabernacle) having conversations. Others were occupied in giving their friends piggy-back rides around the church. During the Consecration, the group I was with was the only group which remained in the pews, as everyone else went onto the sanctuary and remained standing, up there, during the Canon of the Mass.[/quote]

A few things here:

1. The whole teens on the sanctuary during Consecration has been BANNED by LIFE TEEN at the request of the USCCB. Any parish that does this is in violation of the GIRM, the USCCB and LIFE TEEN's specs.

2. The liturgical abuses to speak of smell of elderberries. But I want to make the distinction between LIFE TEEN Inc. and the local LIFE TEEN parish. LIFE TEEN Inc. does not support or condone any of the stuff you mention here. In fact, I have contacts with some of the big wigs in LIFE TEEN who would be horrified by what you described.

[quote]But I also don't like the idea of having a separate Mass for teens. Unlike liturgical problems, which of course are not a matter of personal opinion, but rather of Church authority, I have personal feelings on this subject (so, I'm just asserting my opinion and that's all). I don't think that teens should be encouraged to go to Mass separately from their families (if they are still living with them). To me, Sunday is a day of rest, generally to be spent with your family if possible. Most of the kids are with other teenagers every other day of the week. To me it seems like Sunday should be a day when you regroup in that family atmosphere, and reconnect, to prepare for the coming week [i]together[/i]. Lifeteen seems to draw kids away from their families during a time that has traditionally been family-centered.[/quote]

The "LIFE TEEN mass" is not just a mass for teens; rather, it's a mass where the teens are empowered to serve in as many ways as possible throughout the mass. It is an invitation to LIVE the mass. Either by singing or by altar serving or by being a Eucharistic Minister (if they are of-age) or by ushering. In fact, if at all possible, teens serve every role that they can competently-serve in. Furthermore, the "LIFE TEEN mass" is a mass where the priest is dealing with mainly-teenagers. So the homilies are structured, as such.

Finally, at every LIFE TEEN parish I've ever been to, the "LIFE TEEN mass" is usually a mass where families with older kids go to as opposed to masses where younger families go. LIFE TEEN certainly does not want to remove the teens from their families because that would violate "Renewing the Vision," the guidelines for youth ministry in the United States.

[quote]I guess my main concern (aside from the liturgical abuses), from what I have observed by attending all of these Lifeteen Masses is, if you are going to start a movement specifically for teenagers concerning the Mass, it seems like your focus should be helping them to [i]understand[/i] the True Presence, and the importance of reverence, and the Church's teachings on/history of the Holy Mass. I think the focus of Lifeteen has been to teenager-ize the Mass. [quote]

Agreed here. Everything LIFE TEEN Inc. does tries to accomplish this end. But, ultimately, the responsibility lies with the Youth Minister(s) to do the evangelization. LIFE TEEN Inc. is nothing but a resource (albeit an AWESOME resource) that facilitates comprehensive youth ministry.

littleflower+JMJ

I know there are trainings raph for lifeteen from the parishes around me who have lifteen and attend these trainings.

Maybe look into that with the parish if they are going to have you use the program.

Thy Geekdom Come

I've added another note to my first post. Please help me to keep this thread from tangents.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1249938' date='Apr 20 2007, 01:53 AM']I've added another note to my first post. Please help me to keep this thread from tangents.[/quote]You need to contact LifeTeen itself.
It depends upon what you are doing with LifeTeen. I was involved with it for 4 years when I taught Confirmation. The have a program for that. The program for the general group was different. It can be a good program depending upon the leaders, instructors, core group, support of the parish, etc.

In it's hey-day at my (ex)parish, it was a vibrant program. We had about 120 kids voluntarily show up on Wednesday nights, and more on Sundays. Our mandatory confirmation classes was about 100 kids, about 50% of which were involved in the voluntary program. It had 2 full time youth ministers, 10 core group teen volunteers, and about 6 volunteer adults running it.

I saw the youth program grow from the typical poorly attended, unproductive program, to a vibrant program producing kids who were in love with God and the Church. Some of the kids became involved in YouthTeen Core and were the foundation to a mission in Liverpool, England with the Franciscans.

But of course, scholarly people, parish gad-flies, and clergy politics, coupled with human foibles, destroyed it. It was too structured, not structured enough, too 'orthodox' and too liberal, too spiritual and not reverent enough, yada, yada, yada.

But LT does have a very structured outline of lessons and involvement, including support materias, etc. I don't think I've seen anyone here post much here that seemed real knowledgeable. I know Father John (ask Fr. J) pretty well as he used to be a part-time priest there until he got his own parish in the next county over. A very good man and priest, a rarity today. I don't know how long you've been here, but if you remember Fatt Mentor who used to post here, was serving an internship under Fr. J a few years ago.

It is a comprehensive enough program to allow you to involve middle school and high school kids, as well as give opportunity for young college kids to be leaders. They have trainig programs for Core Team members (core volunteers) as well as Youth Leaders. If you are the Youth Minster, the parish will probably send you for training. LT used to be very supportive and provide some speakers and visitors, etc. It's a widespread program here, and we used to have Core members from other parishes beyond the Dioces and other Countries as well, come visit. Again, it depends upon what you do with it and the support of your team and the parish.

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Raphael' post='1249593' date='Apr 19 2007, 07:40 PM']Note: Personal opinions about Lifeteen are not relevant. It's not because I don't value your opinion, but because I'm trying to get professional assistance, not complaints.[/quote]

So basically you just want information on what Lifeteen is [i]intended[/i] to be, and not how it is generally [i]practiced[/i]. Okie doke :)

[quote name='kujo']Agreed here. Everything LIFE TEEN Inc. does tries to accomplish this end. But, ultimately, the responsibility lies with the Youth Minister(s) to do the evangelization. LIFE TEEN Inc. is nothing but a resource (albeit an AWESOME resource) that facilitates comprehensive youth ministry.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments to help me get it. I am glad to hear that the USCCB stepped in on some of those issues. ^_^

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1250044' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:10 AM']Thanks for your comments to help me get it. I am glad to hear that the USCCB stepped in on some of those issues. ^_^[/quote]

Can't really tell if that was sarcastic or not.

As for the liturgical issues, LIFE TEEN Inc. was asked to put a stop on a few of them, including the sanctuary thing, as well as the motto that is said after mass-- "The mass never ends, it must be lived. Go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Alleluia! Alleluia!" Apparently, there is some theological issues with the motto (mainly, the mass [b]never ending[/b]) so LIFE TEEN Inc. had its parishes stop reciting it.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='Raphael' post='1249616' date='Apr 19 2007, 08:59 PM']Actually, if you'd PM me with the details on their retreats...general time schedule, activities, talk topics, etc, I'd really appreciate it. I've done Koinonia (like TEC, but for college students), but Lifeteen is pretty new to me.[/quote]

I sent you a PM but I don't know if it went through. My PM system is all screwy. I really hope it did because it was really long and took me 25 minutes to type up! :unsure:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1250044' date='Apr 20 2007, 07:10 AM']So basically you just want information on what Lifeteen is [i]intended[/i] to be, and not how it is generally [i]practiced[/i]. Okie doke[/quote]
No, I want information on how the program, i.e. the materials from Lifeteen itself, show the program to operate, etc. Since I would be the Youth Minister at the parish I'm looking into, I wouldn't be abusing Lifeteen, so abuses of it really aren't relevant, nor do they help me to know what Lifeteen is, but only what Lifeteen is not.

As this thread has apparently become a debate, even though I tried to keep that from happening, it's closed. To all who've offered assistance, I thank you. To those still willing to offer assistance, please PM me.

God bless,

Micah