An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Theory Of Being "born Again"

RezaMikhaeil

RezaMikhaeil

Please Budge, tell us the history and theology behind being "born again" according to your knowledge. :smokey:

Reza

It isnt something I made up, just so you know:)

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, [b]Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.[/b]

Jhn 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee,[b] Ye must be born again.[/b]

1Pe 1:23 [b]Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.[/b]

[quote]How To Be Born Again

The reason many professing Christians continue to live sinful lives
is that they have NOT been born again.
They are not saved.

1. Is it necessary to be born again?
[b]* It is absolutely necessary to be born again to be saved and enter the Kingdom of God.
* St. John 3:1-7; I Pet. 1:23; Titus 3:5[/b]

2. How did Jesus expect Nicodemus to know about the "new birth" from the Old Testament?
* Jer. 31:33; 32:39; Ezek. 11:19;18:31; 36:25-27; Ps. 51:10; Isa. 1:18-20; 55:6
[u]
[b]
3. The New Birth is not:
* Water baptism, church membership, reformation, trying to do better, making resolutions to quit bad habits, giving money or service to the church, or trying to be a Christian without the life of Christ inside.[/b][/u]

4. Is it possible to be born again without Jesus Christ?
* No. Salvation is through a Saviour, the person of the Lord Jesus Christ.
* Matt. 1:21; Acts 4:12; Rom. 6:23; I John 5:11-13; Luke 19:10.

5. Is it for every person?
* Yes, "whosoever will."
* John 3:16, 17; Rom. 10:13; John 4:10-15; Rev. 22:17

6. Why is it necessary to be born again and thereby receive salvation?
* a. Because you have sinned.
o Rom. 3:23; 1 John 1:10; Isa. 53:6.
* b. Because of your lost and fallen condition:
o (1) Your sins have separated you from God. Isa. 59:1,2.
o (2) Mankind is depraved and inclined towards sin.
+ Gen. 6:5,6; Psalm 53:2,3; Isa.64:6; Eccl.8:11.
o (3) The penalty of your sin.
+ Rom. 2:11-13; Rom. 6:23.
o (4) You are spiritually dead.
+ Eph. 2:1; I John 5:12; St. John 3:36.

7. How can a person be born again?
* I. God's Part.
o (1) Jesus Christ died in your place and for your sins so that you can be forgiven and receive that new life.
+ I Cor. 15:3; Isa. 53:5,6,12; Gal. 3:13; Heb. 2:9; I Pet. 3:18; Heb. 9:28; I Pet. 2:24; Rom. 5:8.
o (2) Forgive sins.
+ Heb. 10:16,17; I John 1:9; Isa. 55:7; Isa. 43:25; Isa. 44:22, 1:18.
o (3) Give Spiritual Life. Eph. 2:1,5; I John 5:11 13; St. John 3:1-7.
[b]
* II. Your Part.
o (1) Choose to be. Choose the way of Jesus instead of the way of Satan; choose to call on the Lord for salvation. Choose whom you will serve.
+ Josh. 24:15; Rom. 10:13.
o (2) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Absolute trust.
+ John 3:16-18; John 8:24; I John 5:10.
o (3) Receive Him. John 1:12.
o (4) Repent. (Be sorry for your sins - confess them - leave them.)
+ Acts 3:19; Acts 2:38; Luke 13:5.
o (5) Confess Christ openly. Rom. 10:9,10.
o (6) Be Baptized.
+ Acts 2:38; Mark 16:15; Matt. 28:19.

The First Four Steps Will Result in the New Birth
And the Last Two Should Follow Very Soon.
Evidences of the New Birth (Born Again Experience).[/b]

[b]1. The Witness within of the Spirit.[/b]
* Rom. 8:16; I John 5:10.
[b] 2. The Witness of the Word of God. (The Record; The Promise) I John 5:10,11.
3. The Witness of a Changed Life, resulting in:[/b]
* a. Overcoming sin.
* b. Feeding on the Word of God.
* c. Growth towards spiritual maturity.
* d. Winning others to Christ. (Bearing children In the spirit.)
o (A doll cannot do these things because it doesn't have life.)

"Therefore if any man be in Christ,
he is a new creature:
old things are passed away;
behold, all things are become new."
- 2 Corinthians 5:17

The person who does not KNOW that he is saved (born again), either:

Does not choose to be, or
Does not properly understand, or
Has not fully believed, trusted the Saviour and promises of God, or
Has not truly repented, or
A combination of the above factors.

Take me to the next page of the Salvation Seminar.

The above study and the Salvation seminar were written by the late J. George Cover. Please drop a comment to his daughter Kathy if this study has been meaningful to you.[/quote]

[url="http://misslink.org/born.html"]http://misslink.org/born.html[/url]

There is a difference between knowing ABOUT Christ intellectually and being a born again under the blood child of God.

I remember the day I was born again. I repented, and turned myself over to Jesus Christ.

RezaMikhaeil

You're obviously evangelical thou, so maybe you could provide us with the history of the evangelical version of "born again".

Reza

Read the BIble, how many are born again in the Bible? people repent, and are saved.

How many people repented, and turned themselves over to Jesus Christ body, mind and soul during the course of history? {and many were suffered and martyred for it. Jesus Christ preached that the world would hate those who were HIS.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Budge' post='1250730' date='Apr 20 2007, 06:56 PM']Read the BIble, how many are born again in the Bible? people repent, and are saved.

How many people repented, and turned themselves over to Jesus Christ body, mind and soul during the course of history? {and many were suffered and martyred for it. Jesus Christ preached that the world would hate those who were HIS.[/quote]

Here's the question that I got for ya thou: Your doctrine is different then the earliest writings of early church fathers and the 4 original rites that the Apostles themselves affirmed by orders of Jesus Christ. Infact the modern evangelical doctrine that you seem to adhere to is less then a few hundred years old, so why do you think that is? Do you think that the whole church was decieved from day one? Historically, what do you believe?

Reza

[quote]Your doctrine is different then the earliest writings of early church fathers and the 4 original rites that the Apostles themselves affirmed by orders of Jesus Christ. Infact the modern evangelical doctrine that you seem to adhere to is less then a few hundred years old, so why do you think that is? Do you think that the whole church was decieved from day one? Historically, what do you believe?[/quote]

History is easily distorted and is sinking sand, I stand on God's eternal Word.

The NT several times as I show you above talks about the need to be born again and the apostles repeat the steps time an time again, coming to Jesus CHrist in faith, repentance, turning yourself over to HIm body mind and soul, realizing it is about HIM and not you or your own merits.

The apostles warned of early decivers. I believe all the ascendants and descendants of Constatine, origen, Euseibus were all EARLY DECEIVERS.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Budge' post='1250742' date='Apr 20 2007, 07:07 PM']History is easily distorted and is sinking sand, I stand on God's eternal Word.

The NT several times as I show you above talks about the need to be born again and the apostles repeat the steps time an time again, coming to Jesus CHrist in faith, repentance, turning yourself over to HIm body mind and soul, realizing it is about HIM and not you or your own merits.

The apostles warned of early decivers. I believe all the ascendants and descendants of Constatine, origen, Euseibus were all EARLY DECEIVERS.[/quote]

The term "born again" actualy is only found in your protestant translations, not in the other translations of the Bible. Now its true that the scriptures do say that we should be born unto a new spirit and mind, true.

[quote name='Budge' post='1250721' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:49 PM']It isnt something I made up, just so you know:)

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, [b]Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.[/b]

Jhn 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee,[b] Ye must be born again.[/b]

1Pe 1:23 [b]Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.[/b]
[url="http://misslink.org/born.html"]http://misslink.org/born.html[/url]

There is a difference between knowing ABOUT Christ intellectually and being a born again under the blood child of God.

I remember the day I was born again. I repented, and turned myself over to Jesus Christ.[/quote]

I can't stand any error, and you just made a huge one Budge.

[quote name='God in John 3:4-6' date=' KJV']Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.[/quote]

Which is supported by Peter's first sermon!

[quote name='God in Acts 2:37-41' date=' KJV']Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.[/quote]

Baptism is absolutely needed for salvation, according to Jesus Christ and Peter who was moved upon by the holy ghost!

goldenchild17

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1250842' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:49 PM']The term "born again" actualy is only found in your protestant translations, not in the other translations of the Bible. Now its true that the scriptures do say that we should be born unto a new spirit and mind, true.[/quote]

Actually the term is found a number of times in the Douay-Rheims version, which is plenty Catholic, unless something has changed that I don't know about.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1250873' date='Apr 20 2007, 10:56 PM']Good to see you post Full Truth![/quote]
Thanks Reza.

I just love standing for the truth.

Not that I don't believe you must be born again, because you have to translated from the kingdom of darkness into God's kingdom of light - but forgetting Baptism is something that disturbs me.

It is the remissions of your sins.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1250916' date='Apr 20 2007, 08:07 PM']Thanks Reza.

I just love standing for the truth.

Not that I don't believe you must be born again, because you have to translated from the kingdom of darkness into God's kingdom of light - but forgetting Baptism is something that disturbs me.

It is the remissions of your sins.[/quote]

So you believe baptism is a "sacrament" per se?

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1251006' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:33 PM']So you believe baptism is a "sacrament" per se?[/quote]
A major one. You must be born again of the water and of the spirit! Both are tied together.

And I recommend in the name of Jesus Christ because it idenitifies you with the Life, Death, and Ressurection of Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:38, and many other examples). I don't believe it is needed to be saved anymore, but I see nothing wrong with it either! Neither do I see it is wrong to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 28:19)

The moment you say it must be one or the other, you might be starting to go onto shakey ground, because it can offend one person or another.

I've been baptized in the holy name of my Lord Jesus Christ, and I love the fact that I was! :D:

What better name to be baptized in to show who your Lord is?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1251077' date='Apr 20 2007, 08:50 PM']A major one. You must be born again of the water and of the spirit! Both are tied together.

And I recommend in the name of Jesus Christ because it idenitifies you with the Life, Death, and Ressurection of Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:38, and many other examples). I don't believe it is needed to be saved anymore, but I see nothing wrong with it either! Neither do I see it is wrong to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 28:19)

The moment you say it must be one or the other, you might be starting to go onto shakey ground, because it can offend one person or another.

I've been baptized in the holy name of my Lord Jesus Christ, and I love the fact that I was! :D:

What better name to be baptized in to show who your Lord is?[/quote]

Definately, what about the man on the cross next to Jesus Christ? He wasn't baptised but Jesus said that he'd be in heaven!

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1251085' date='Apr 20 2007, 11:52 PM']Definately, what about the man on the cross next to Jesus Christ? He wasn't baptised but Jesus said that he'd be in heaven![/quote]
The New Testament hadn't been applied yet, because the Christ was still alive.

So the man who proclaimed Jesus Christ did nothing to be on the Cross was proclaiming Jesus Christ to be saviour. Being on the Cross prevented him from being Baptized, wouldn't you think. But identifying the Christ also saves someone who can't be baptized.

However, being baptized has been doctrine from the day of Pentecost - from Peter's own words!

I expect that the 120 were also baptized that day.