An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexual Misconduct By Protestant Ministers

Katholikos

"Pedophile Priests" -- a term used repeatedly by the media in reporting sexual abuse cases among Catholic clergy -- has become part of the American idiom, even though few of the cases involved pedophiles or pre-pubescent children.

How shall we label Protestant ministers guilty of sexual misconduct? "Pedophile Preachers"? "Molesting Ministers"?

Read all about 'em:

[url="http://www.reformation.com/"]http://www.reformation.com/[/url]

Likos

Part of me is glad to see that someone is bringing to light the reality of the situation---that it isn't just Catholics who are abusing children.

But most of me weeps because religious folk should be the first ones in line to NOT do this stuff.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='kujo' post='1256397' date='Apr 25 2007, 07:09 PM']Part of me is glad to see that someone is bringing to light the reality of the situation---that it isn't just Catholics who are abusing children.

But most of me weeps because religious folk should be the first ones in line to NOT do this stuff.[/quote]
Amen. Yet, at the same time, religious folk are the type who have means to repentance and conversion, so we should be glad of that.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1256415' date='Apr 25 2007, 08:23 PM']It's a huge problem, particularly in penecostalism.[/quote]
Can you back that statement up?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1256433' date='Apr 25 2007, 06:55 PM']Can you back that statement up?[/quote]

Personal experience... in my younger years [prior to my teens and then later in life, before becoming Coptic] I'd attended several penecostal churches that had a serious problem with it.

Reza

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1256388' date='Apr 25 2007, 06:54 PM']It is sad, but what do we do? It is interesting to see the media bias.[/quote]
I'm not denying that there may be an anti-Catholic media bias, but I am not sure that we didn't deserve having our feet held to the fire here. If we're honest, we have to admit that the reason the Catholic problem garnered more national attention was not just because it happened, but because of the institutional problems that contributed to covering up serious abuse. It is awful every time trust is broken in a situation like this, but the way we handled it was a second betrayal of trust.

That being said, sexual abuse does need to be brought to light wherever it exists, and while I'm saddened to see this kind of behavior anywhere it is good it is being addressed.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1256470' date='Apr 25 2007, 09:46 PM']I'm not denying that there may be an anti-Catholic media bias, but I am not sure that we didn't deserve having our feet held to the fire here. If we're honest, we have to admit that the reason the Catholic problem garnered more national attention was not just because it happened, but because of the institutional problems that contributed to covering up serious abuse. It is awful every time trust is broken in a situation like this, but the way we handled it was a second betrayal of trust.

That being said, sexual abuse does need to be brought to light wherever it exists, and while I'm saddened to see this kind of behavior anywhere it is good it is being addressed.[/quote]

The medical community has never 'fessed up to its role in the problem. No bishop acted without the advice of a psychologist or psychiatrist or both. At that time, the mental health professionals believed that these men could be treated. They learned too late that in most cases such behavior is incurable. It was not looked upon as criminal, even among school teachers. There were many instances where teachers, boy schout leaders, and others were transferred as well, on the advice of health care professionals, only to violate again. And the media did not note that most of these cases among Catholic clergy involved homosexuals with post-pubescent boys. Why? They were -- and still are -- pushing the homosexual agenda. I fault the bishops for not obeying the Vatican's 1961 directive not to ordain homosexuals. It was the disobedience of the American bishops at work. But the Church was a victim, too -- predators insinuate themselves into professions that will give them cover.

What is so telling is that 1.5% of priests were accused of sexual misconduct, compared to 5% of Protestant ministers. Celibacy was blamed, yet there were no celibates among the Protestants -- they were married with children. Yet, we heard little about Protestant violators, and we were drowning in media reports about celibate priests. A book by Protestant Philip Jenkins of Penn State documents the whole debacle and the media bias.

Likos

Back up people, back up a bit. Are you people blind?

The media is attacking catholics as 'target number 1' because its the biggest and easiest target.

Their real objective, it seems, is attacking christianity, not just catholics.

In that sense, all christians are our brothers and allies, and as ourselves are victims of the media. I see here a reason to come together, not an opportunity to point the finger.

We should extend charity to these communities and be understanding, and maybe, just maybe, that charity will be returned. You think?

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1256596' date='Apr 25 2007, 11:22 PM']The medical community has never 'fessed up to its role in the problem. No bishop acted without the advice of a psychologist or psychiatrist or both. At that time, the mental health professionals believed that these men could be treated. They learned too late that in most cases such behavior is incurable. It was not looked upon as criminal, even among school teachers. There were many instances where teachers, boy schout leaders, and others were transferred as well, on the advice of health care professionals, only to violate again. And the media did not note that most of these cases among Catholic clergy involved homosexuals with post-pubescent boys. Why? They were -- and still are -- pushing the homosexual agenda. I fault the bishops for not obeying the Vatican's 1961 directive not to ordain homosexuals. It was the disobedience of the American bishops at work. But the Church was a victim, too -- predators insinuate themselves into professions that will give them cover.

What is so telling is that 1.5% of priests were accused of sexual misconduct, compared to 5% of Protestant ministers. Celibacy was blamed, yet there were no celibates among the Protestants -- they were married with children. Yet, we heard little about Protestant violators, and we were drowning in media reports about celibate priests. A book by Protestant Philip Jenkins of Penn State documents the whole debacle and the media bias.

Likos[/quote]

What you post is a very concise and precise view of the situation as a whole. I would like to second your notions here for the exception that we should not 'point the finger', but rather 'reach out'. We can't ring the alarm bells on someone else and cry foul for someone ringing the bell against us, no matter how loud either bell rings.

And I also agree with Terra, that I am saddened anywhere such abuse occurs, and it is good (although sometimes painful), that it is being addressed.

[quote name='Didacus' post='1256613' date='Apr 25 2007, 11:45 PM']What you post is a very concise and precise view of the situation as a whole. I would like to second your notions here for the exception that we should not 'point the finger', but rather 'reach out'. We can't ring the alarm bells on someone else and cry foul for someone ringing the bell against us, no matter how loud either bell rings.

And I also agree with Terra, that I am saddened anywhere such abuse occurs, and it is good (although sometimes painful), that it is being addressed.[/quote]
yes ... thank you

I was trying to write this last night (except the part about agreeing with myself) but couldn't quite hit it.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Part of me is glad to see that someone is bringing to light the reality of the situation---that it isn't just Catholics who are abusing children.

But most of me weeps because religious folk should be the first ones in line to NOT do this stuff.[/quote]

Sadly, sexual abuse is frighteningly common everywhere. The majority of abuse take place within families, and the abuser is usually the father of the child.

It sounds sick, it is sick, and it's something that most people don't want to hear. On an official level, this info has been affirmed by the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Childline (both British organisations). I have reason to know it personally because of my involvement with adolescents who have been sexually abused. Some dreadful things happened to those children, the kind of thing that you wouldn't believe unless you saw the effects. As a result several of their friends and family members go into denial, and they're on their own. :sadder:

thessalonian

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1256355' date='Apr 25 2007, 07:31 PM']"Pedophile Priests" -- a term used repeatedly by the media in reporting sexual abuse cases among Catholic clergy -- has become part of the American idiom, even though few of the cases involved pedophiles or pre-pubescent children.

How shall we label Protestant ministers guilty of sexual misconduct? "Pedophile Preachers"? "Molesting Ministers"?

Read all about 'em:

[url="http://www.reformation.com/"]http://www.reformation.com/[/url]

Likos[/quote]

Kathlicos,

I've been to reformation.com. I heard a report on 20-20 last week about protestant clergy, I know that stats about Protestants cheating on there wives and claimes on sexual misconduct insurance. Here is what I have to say regarding this issue you raise.

I hate to rebuke you on this because I understand where you are coming from. But I really think it is bad apologetics to go on the offensive with this issue. The pedophile preist arguement has been bandied around the internet for years by protestants. It is a red herring arguement. It proves nothing about the truth but only causes scandal that will lead some away from what faith they have whereever they have it. That there are sinners in any particular denomination proves nothing. The only time I will use these types of statistics is when one waves their finger at me regarding "pedophile" (not really pedophile) priests. I don't recommend using it otherwise.