An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexual Misconduct By Protestant Ministers

Katholikos

Pedophiles and sex abusers are everywhere.

You all need to realize the scandal wasnt based on the fact your church had pedophiles in it, but the top down conspiracy to move them and hide them globally, that is what people were OUTRAGED about.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Budge' post='1257822' date='Apr 27 2007, 08:46 AM']Pedophiles and sex abusers are everywhere.

You all need to realize the scandal wasnt based on the fact your church had pedophiles in it, but the top down conspiracy to move them and hide them globally, that is what people were OUTRAGED about.[/quote]

I gotta go with Budge on this one. As in politics, it wasn't the crime, it was the cover up (although, of course, it was also the crime).

The reality is, abuse is committed by religious leaders of every stripe, by doctors, by teachers, etc. It is unfair to single out the Catholic Church but the Catholic Church should have been completely transparent about what happened, and first in line to help the victims, rather than going into defensive mode.

[quote name='Budge' post='1257822' date='Apr 27 2007, 09:46 AM']Pedophiles and sex abusers are everywhere.

You all need to realize the scandal wasnt based on the fact your church had pedophiles in it, but the top down conspiracy to move them and hide them globally, that is what people were OUTRAGED about.[/quote]

Why were people not [size=4]outraged[/size] that the same procedures were employed by school districts in the same circumstances, in the same time period?

Edited by Katholikos

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1259663' date='Apr 29 2007, 02:15 PM']Why were people not [size=4]outraged[/size] that the same procedures were employed by school districts in the same circumstances, in the same time period?[/quote]
Excellent question.

In the same vein, and not to get off on a tangent.... Why aren't people more outraged that female teachers are taking advantage of their male students (some as young as the sixth grade)? This is still occurring. It's a current phenomonon... and no one seems to care.

desertwoman

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1259700' date='Apr 29 2007, 03:57 PM']Excellent question.

In the same vein, and not to get off on a tangent.... Why aren't people more outraged that female teachers are taking advantage of their male students (some as young as the sixth grade)? This is still occurring. It's a current phenomonon... and no one seems to care.[/quote]

Because in our society, a guy 'getting some with a hot teacher' is a dream and is deemed alright. From the guys I've spoken to, they wouldn't care if their female teacher hit on them, and then they had sex. They get brownie points. Being in the library and hearing the young men's conversations is surprising to say the least. I don't know if they are saying it as a joke, are afraid that this might happen to them, or if they really don't care if this happens to them because they can pass the class and get brownie points from the crew.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1259663' date='Apr 29 2007, 01:15 PM']Why were people not [size=4]outraged[/size] that the same procedures were employed by school districts in the same circumstances, in the same time period?[/quote]

Were people not outraged? Any abuse of a child by anyone, whoever it is, is heinous, particularly by persons in whom we've placed out trust, i.e. priests, teachers, scout leaders, etc. The one difference between the Church and others is that we're supposed to be salt and light and standing against this kind of evil. That's what makes abuse by priests egregious.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1256470' date='Apr 25 2007, 09:46 PM']I'm not denying that there may be an anti-Catholic media bias, but I am not sure that we didn't deserve having our feet held to the fire here. If we're honest, we have to admit that the reason the Catholic problem garnered more national attention was not just because it happened, but because of the institutional problems that contributed to covering up serious abuse. It is awful every time trust is broken in a situation like this, but the way we handled it was a second betrayal of trust.

That being said, sexual abuse does need to be brought to light wherever it exists, and while I'm saddened to see this kind of behavior anywhere it is good it is being addressed.[/quote]

Good point- if bishops had acted with more transparency and courage, we could have prevented much pain before it occurred.

I think its also eaiser to give attention to the Catholic Church simply because it is a massive institution. Its harder to get people fired up about a independent pentecostal church in north carolina than it is to get them fired up about a church that has a building down the street from them. A larger target is easier to hit...

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1260598' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:07 AM']Good point- if bishops had acted with more transparency and courage, we could have prevented much pain before it occurred.

I think its also eaiser to give attention to the Catholic Church simply because it is a massive institution. Its harder to get people fired up about a independent pentecostal church in north carolina than it is to get them fired up about a church that has a building down the street from them. A larger target is easier to hit...[/quote]
George Weigel's "The Courage to be Catholic" addresses this very question, and makes a call throughout to return to a deeper faith as a church. Great book.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1259700' date='Apr 29 2007, 02:57 PM']Excellent question.

In the same vein, and not to get off on a tangent.... Why aren't people more outraged that female teachers are taking advantage of their male students (some as young as the sixth grade)? This is still occurring. It's a current phenomonon... and no one seems to care.[/quote]

1) School districts do not claim Godly Authority
2) A female teacher and a male student is not the same relationship as a male priest and a young boy.

Edited by carrdero