An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism Vs. Orthodoxy - Moral Issues

Katholikos

Okl you want morality..Try homosexual priests and the way the church covers it all up..I was molested as a kid by a priest at St..Roses Catholic church in Carlisle Arkansas..Is that moral enough for you?

No answer i bet

Edited by ttomm46

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1260914' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:20 PM']1.) Orthodoxy doesn't "allow 3 marriages"! That's a far misconception, orthodoxy does allow for second marriages but it's a matter of circumstances. If a woman is cheated on by her husband, and is declared to be "the innocent party" involved, she has the option to remarry or if possible the option to stay with her husband with hopes of giving it a second opportunity.

Reza[/quote]

Thanks for the info! :) Could you elaborate on the theological justification for that practice? In the Catholic Church I know remarriage is only permitted in the case of widowhood or annulment. Do the Orthodox do the same in the adultery situation you mentioned, ie declare the marriage was never firm in the first place? Maybe "annulment" is a very Roman term, but is it something like that? I've always found this difference between us to be very confusing.

the Catholic church hands out annulments like they are going out of style....Making re marriages much easier..when i told another priest when i was older what happened he said we are all human..there's your Catholic morality....im going to search the net and if i can find who was the priest back in 60 ill put his name here.Ok?

Edited by ttomm46

Mateo el Feo

I also thought that it was only two marriages for Orthodox, but someone cited the following website:
[url="http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7101.asp"]http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7101.asp[/url]
Quoting:[quote]The church will permit up to, but not more than, [u]three marriages[/u] for any Orthodox Christian.[/quote]
The website "goarch.org" claims to be the "Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America." Is this one of those "not really Orthodox" Orthodox churches? According to Wikipedia, they are in communion with and under the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.

If this is true, does this difference (i.e. two marriages vs. three marriages) constitute a difference in moral teachings among member Orthodox churches? I find it baffling that there doesn't seem to be an Orthodox church which believes that marriage is indissoluble, as taught by Our Lord Himself. I wonder when the Orthodox churches began to allow multiple marriages. Is there 2,000 years of history to back them up?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Maggie' post='1260919' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:27 PM']Thanks for the info! :) Could you elaborate on the theological justification for that practice? In the Catholic Church I know remarriage is only permitted in the case of widowhood or annulment. Do the Orthodox do the same in the adultery situation you mentioned, ie declare the marriage was never firm in the first place? Maybe "annulment" is a very Roman term, but is it something like that? I've always found this difference between us to be very confusing.[/quote]

[quote]32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.[/quote][quote]9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."[/quote]

Jesus himself said that those who have unfaithful wives/husbands have the right to divorce. In regards to remarriage, I don't know how the orthodox church views it, as I'd never had to deal with it before... I know that it's a very rare thing, as nobody in my congregation is divorced and I'd never met a Copt [or any other practicing orthodox christian] that has been divorced.

Reza

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1260920' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:28 PM']the Catholic church hands out annulments like they are going out of style....Making re marriages much easier..when i told another priest when i was older what happened he said we are all human..there's your Catholic morality....im going to search the net and if i can find who was the priest back in 60 ill put his name here.Ok?[/quote]The statistics disagree with your claim. In my own life, I have witnessed many people who left the church precisely because they couldn't get the "rubber stamp" annulment that they wanted.

But, now, we're side-tracking the issue, that the Orthodox churches provide members with either one or two divorce opportunities, with no Scriptural support for such a practice.

[it's part of SCOBA..you skipped my post of pedophile priests..how convenient...If your going to post something try to learn what your posting..I can take communion there..You should give up while your ahead...My experience as a kid being molested by some piece of garbage Catholic priest says all anyone needs to know about the church

by insisting on celibate Clergy..The Catholic church has created a whole army of pedophiles.

Edited by ttomm46

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1260940' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:43 PM'][it's part of SCOBA..you skipped my post of pedophile priests..how convenient...If your going to post something try to learn what your posting..I can take communion there..You should give up while your ahead...My experience as a kid being molested by some piece of garbage Catholic priest says all anyone needs to know about the church[/quote]

Yeah, it does. It says that the Church has chaff amongst the wheat.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1260926' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:36 PM']Jesus himself said that those who have unfaithful wives/husbands have the right to divorce. In regards to remarriage, I don't know how the orthodox church views it, as I'd never had to deal with it before... I know that it's a very rare thing, as nobody in my congregation is divorced and I'd never met a Copt [or any other practicing orthodox christian] that has been divorced.

Reza[/quote]My understanding is that Copts probably do the same thing that Catholics do: they leave their church so that they can divorce. In fact, I was told that a problem for the Coptic Church in Egypt (where the government recognizes Church marriage laws as binding on Coptic citizens) was that those who couldn't obtain a divorce from the church would convert to Islam, with its more permissive practice of divorce. They may also convert in the hopes of winning child custody. Have you heard about this?

Curiously, this Wikipedia (link) article states:[quote]The Coptic Orthodox Church does not permit divorce.[/quote]I'm believe that divorce is allowed for disparity of cult or adultery, but probably extremely difficult to obtain. In any event, this just makes more questions for me. For example, does an Orthodox or Copt in his second marriage have the right to divorce because of disparity of cult or adultery? Why or why not?

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1260811' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:32 PM']Disunity in Orthodoxy is a myth..there are always splinter groups claiming to be Orthodox.....there are over 600 Catholic chapels and churches in this country that claim to be true Catholics that aren't in communion with Rome.[/quote]

If a church is not in communion with Rome, it isn't Catholic, no matter what they call themselves. Who is a church in communion with that identifies it as true Orthodox?

Thanks,

Likos

no basis..for truth..Totally skipped my posts on the rampent amount pedophiles in the Catholic priest hood..Also divorce is dealt with more in depth in leviticus.......the truth is the Roman Church is in apostasy....Jesus said 'you'll know them by their fruits'......A corrupt Vatican that actually had a lot of stock in birth control pills... before you claim to be the true church you should check on church scandals of the Vatican..and yes that is a moral issue.

Edited by ttomm46

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1260940' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:43 PM'][it's part of SCOBA..you skipped my post of pedophile priests..how convenient...If your going to post something try to learn what your posting..I can take communion there..You should give up while your ahead...My experience as a kid being molested by some piece of garbage Catholic priest says all anyone needs to know about the church[/quote]OK, so at least we've established why you left the Church.

The Church has gone to great lengths to establish protections for children. For example, I can't even enter my daughter's classroom to read a short story without getting fingerprinted by the Police department and taking a class on abuse prevention, and being put through a national background check. Most of these procedures predate the 2002 scandal, by the way.

With all the abuse, the scandal is not one of priests and bishops who followed Catholic moral teachings. It is one of priests and bishops who [i]violated[/i] Catholic moral teachings.

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1260940' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:43 PM']by insisting on celibate Clergy..The Catholic church has created a whole army of pedophiles.[/quote]Have fun in your glass house: [url="http://www.pokrov.org/"]http://www.pokrov.org/[/url]

May 5, 2001

Pope Apologizes to Orthodox Christians but Vatican Attorneys Deny Liability

Pope John Paul II used a historic visit to Greece recently to issue a broad apology for the sins of Roman Catholics against the Orthodox Christian faithful. The Pope was attempting to heal the 1,000-year-old rift between the two Churches. The Pope’s apology was widely hailed as a concrete step in the reconciliation of the two churches.

But on May 25 in a San Francisco Federal courtroom the Vatican’s attorneys will defend the Vatican Bank in a lawsuit filed by Orthodox Christian survivors of genocide in World War II Yugoslavia. During World War II over 500,000 Serbs were murdered by the fanatic Catholic regime of Ante Pavelic in Croatia. The leadership of the Croatian regime known as the Ustashe vanished after the Second World War with much of the gold and silver plundered from their Serb victims.

holy church right?

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1261002' date='Apr 30 2007, 04:11 PM']no basis..for truth..Totally skipped my posts on the rampent amount pedophiles in the Catholic priest hood..Also divorce is dealt with more in depth in leviticus.......the truth is the Roman Church is in apostasy....Jesus said 'you'll know them by their fruits'......A corrupt Vatican that actually had a lot of stock in birth control pills... before you claim to be the true church you should check on church scandals of the Vatican..and yes that is a moral issue.[/quote]

Explain, pray tell, how the actions of those who do not follow the teachings of the Church affect the validity of its teachings?