An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mormonism?

jckinsman

My son's freind is mormon, I know alittle, I would like to know more.He has come to me a few times,questioning things,about his faith! He is only 15. Who are these people and how do I express Christs love for him, without stepping on moms beliefs!? There family is in tough times right now! It's tough! JC

Edited by jckinsman

White Knight

1) Mormons believe that the Trinity is Three Seperate God's they dont see the Unity in them. or God in Three Equal Persons.
2) Mormons have added another book that is included in their Bible After the Book of Revelation. "The Book of Mormons"
3) Mormons Believe that ordinary human beings can acheive Godhood.
4) Its their popluar belief that Jesus and Lucifer were brothers.
5) Joseph Smith has thought that all current Christian churches have fallen away from the truth of the faith in his time, and started his own Church and such.
6) Mormons believed Jesus visted the Native Americans twice, once before his Resurrection, then after.
7) Joseph Smith's views on the Bible were later revised according to his version of what actually took place, and end of 100% contradicting itself entirally with what the book of Mormons actually proclaims, while attacted to the original Bible.

Theres more, there, however I will give you a link to help you out to prove some of my claims about Mormonism.

[b][url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Gods_of_the_Mormon_Church.asp"]Catholic information about Mormon Beliefs[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Distinctive_Beliefs_of_Mormon.asp"]Catholic information about Mormon beliefs 2[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Mormon_Stumpers.asp"]Catholic information about Mormon belief 3[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Mormonism_Baptism_for_the_Dead.asp"]Catholic information about mormon belief 4[/url]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Problems_with_the_Book_of_Mormon.asp"]Catholic information on Mormon Beliefs 5[/url][/b]

[color="#FF0000"][size=4][b]God Bless, Pax Christi, Happy 5th Sunday of Easter of the 50 days of Easter.[/b][/size][/color] :cool:

Edited by White Knight

:)
That is really cool that you have that opportunity.

If I may give advice....

1. Don't use the word 'cult' to describe Mormons.

2. Don't trust anti-Mormon writers to have done all of their homework. The anti-Mormon writers might make a ton of good points and then misrepresent a couple things. I suspect that happens quite a bit. It only confirms to them their belief that the whole world is out to get them. Of course, they can tell you they are being misrepresented when they are not also. And there is plenty of opportunity for terminology misunderstandings.

3. Encourage him to read theology that is not comparative theology. Things like the Bible or Catechism or Christology or Holiness Tips. He might be reading comparative theology on his own without you having to tell him.

4. Anything you can throw in about him honoring his parents and deeply considering all their words. Obeying them as much as possible.

5. It seems inevitable that the impressive low level of nominalism in Mormonism will come up. You can express being impressed and point out that newer religions tend to have lower levels of it. "Newer" ..."religionS (plural)" ...eh? eh?

6. If he says anything about debunking Mormonism along the lines of false prophecies or plagiarism of typos in the King James Version that made it into the Book of Mormon...then ....well....he brought it up. That would be a good time for something a little more "forceful." Like...."wow. that IS really significant. Not that I know the details. But...geesh!"

7. If he brings up the "burning bosom" thing that Mormons talk about.... (They read the Book of Mormon and then know it is true, because their bosom burns.)........I would not mention the possibility of Satanic deception. (Maybe he will.) But, if you can throw in something about how convincing spiritual experiences are not unique to any religion and can include romance and other things...then maybe that would help him be wise on that issue.

8. He could bring up The Apostasy that was spoken of in the NT as coming soon. Mormons have a strong sense of The Apostasy. It might not be obvious to him that The Apostasy has happened by pretty much everybody's standards. Who is religious and does not see the world as a theological and moral disaster zone?

9. You and him have a very awesome common denominator - you can keep each other in your prayers. That can be brought up for sure. :)

I hope that can help. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir or if you already had these conversations.

Peace,
Paddington

White Knight

[quote name='Paddington' post='1260463' date='Apr 30 2007, 04:41 AM']:)
That is really cool that you have that opportunity.

If I may give advice....

1. Don't use the word 'cult' to describe Mormons.

2. Don't trust anti-Mormon writers to have done all of their homework. The anti-Mormon writers might make a ton of good points and then misrepresent a couple things. I suspect that happens quite a bit. It only confirms to them their belief that the whole world is out to get them. Of course, they can tell you they are being misrepresented when they are not also. And there is plenty of opportunity for terminology misunderstandings.

3. Encourage him to read theology that is not comparative theology. Things like the Bible or Catechism or Christology or Holiness Tips. He might be reading comparative theology on his own without you having to tell him.

4. Anything you can throw in about him honoring his parents and deeply considering all their words. Obeying them as much as possible.

5. It seems inevitable that the impressive low level of nominalism in Mormonism will come up. You can express being impressed and point out that newer religions tend to have lower levels of it. "Newer" ..."religionS (plural)" ...eh? eh?

6. If he says anything about debunking Mormonism along the lines of false prophecies or plagiarism of typos in the King James Version that made it into the Book of Mormon...then ....well....he brought it up. That would be a good time for something a little more "forceful." Like...."wow. that IS really significant. Not that I know the details. But...geesh!"

7. If he brings up the "burning bosom" thing that Mormons talk about.... (They read the Book of Mormon and then know it is true, because their bosom burns.)........I would not mention the possibility of Satanic deception. (Maybe he will.) But, if you can throw in something about how convincing spiritual experiences are not unique to any religion and can include romance and other things...then maybe that would help him be wise on that issue.

8. He could bring up The Apostasy that was spoken of in the NT as coming soon. Mormons have a strong sense of The Apostasy. It might not be obvious to him that The Apostasy has happened by pretty much everybody's standards. Who is religious and does not see the world as a theological and moral disaster zone?

9. You and him have a very awesome common denominator - you can keep each other in your prayers. That can be brought up for sure. :)

I hope that can help. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir or if you already had these conversations.

Peace,
Paddington[/quote]

Very well thought out Paddington, could not have said better myself, however I think both aspects need to be combind for jckinsman to achieve what needs to be done in this. :)

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1260441' date='Apr 30 2007, 02:20 AM']My son's freind is mormon, I know alittle, I would like to know more.He has come to me a few times,questioning things,about his faith! He is only 15. Who are these people and how do I express Christs love for him, without stepping on moms beliefs!? There family is in tough times right now! It's tough! JC[/quote]
For an in depth review, PBS is running a four hour special April 30 (2 hours) and May 1st (2 hours). It will probably review the beliefs as well as the history. Pop up some popcorn and check your local listings and time schedule.

Edited by carrdero

Oh well from Mormonism to Catholicism, frying pan to fire...

Ive witnessed to Mormons given them tracts and have informed them they dont need Temple rituals to enter heaven.

Mormonism is a LOT like Catholicism, plenty of parallels..

Temple rituals equal sacraments.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1260497' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:57 AM']Mormonism is a LOT like Catholicism, plenty of parallels..[/quote]
That only proves that Satan's designs imitate God's.

oooo, this is a good thread! Very timely. There is one Mormon girl in my school and I am friends with her ... we spent a couple of hours chatting yesterday, and since we are both converts (she from Presbyterian to Mormon and me from Presbyterian to Catholic) we both know quite a bit about our faiths, but I don't know much about the LDS beliefs, so this is good. :)

Edited by Terra Firma

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Oh well from Mormonism to Catholicism, frying pan to fire...[/quote]

The refining fire of the Holy Spirit. Deo gratias!

Daniel Nekic

I also read in some news report that a group of Mormons baptised JPII posthumously.
Yes, they believe in baptism by proxy.
They get a Mormon, and baptise them again on the deceased's behalf.

You should find some very useful stuff on the Mormons at the Catholic Answers website - www.catholic.com
Very well balanced, and with well thoughts out Catholic refutations of their beliefs.

RezaMikhaeil

My favorite heretical doctrine of Mormonism is: Brigham Young said that Jesus Christ wasn't impregnated in St. Mary through the Holy Spirit but through YHWH [despite the scriptures in Mathew], mormons still hold this doctrine and when confronted [thous that know their own church doctrine] state that Joseph Smith said that Mathew was originally written in Ancient Egyptian [despite the fact that it's written in Greek] and that Satan decieved the church to believe that the Greek was the original text, and therefore it was improperly translated into Greek. Therefore the translators put the Holy Spirit rather then YHWH.

Reza

[quote name='Illustrious Papist' post='1260529' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:02 AM']I also read in some news report that a group of Mormons baptised JPII posthumously.
Yes, they believe in baptism by proxy.
They get a Mormon, and baptise them again on the deceased's behalf.

You should find some very useful stuff on the Mormons at the Catholic Answers website - www.catholic.com
Very well balanced, and with well thoughts out Catholic refutations of their beliefs.[/quote]
this is true, from what I've read ... that's why genealogies are so important, because you can look up ancestors and be baptized for them.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Budge' post='1260497' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:57 AM']Oh well from Mormonism to Catholicism, frying pan to fire...

Ive witnessed to Mormons given them tracts and have informed them they dont need Temple rituals to enter heaven.

Mormonism is a LOT like Catholicism, plenty of parallels..

Temple rituals equal sacraments.[/quote]

Somehow I knew you'd show up and somehow try to turn this into a thread about how the Church is evilllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!

[quote name='Raphael' post='1260501' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:09 AM']That only proves that Satan's designs imitate God's.[/quote]
and it shows that apples are not oranges :rolleyes:

I visited a Mormon Church recently for a report that I wanted to write for another forum. The church was nice, the people were gracious and they made me feel welcome and respected my beliefs. I have a follow up visit with a missionary in the attempt to understand their beliefs better. I recently read an 800 page tome on the early history of the Mormons entitled [u]The Rocky Mountain Saints[/u] that was very interesting and informative so I have to say it has been a very Mormon month for me.

Edited by carrdero