An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mormonism?

jckinsman

[b]The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints[/b]

April 13, 2007

I awoke Sunday morning to the predicted weather of heavy winds mixed with rain and ice. I would peer outside for most of the early morning to notice that most of the yard was covered with a coat of ice. It was a difficult decision to venture out that day but it seemed that I made the right choice.

The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints is located north of my Modena residence on route 32 in the town of New Paltz and it is something that I recognize quite frequently on my way into the local college town. It is a large building but the distinct sign in the front lawn that welcomes all visitors was very inviting that morning in this treacherous rain. I noticed many empty parking spaces but I was also early. I enjoy arriving early because it gives me a chance to mingle and get to know people and make new friends.

No sooner had a hung up my coat that I met Sister Kathleen who noticed that I was a new member. She asked me if I have ever been to this church and I confessed that I had attended a Mormon church before but in a different city and it was over many years ago. The interesting thing about the inside of the churches, are that they are conservatively decorated without statues, candles or common alters. I introduced myself and explained that I was writing a article for the [color="#FF0000"](website name deleted-carrdero) [/color]Newsletter and that I was impressed with the Mormon members who attended the forum and thought it would be a good idea to visit the church to see how the Latter Day Saints conducted their meetings.
She gave me a quick run down of the day’s services and I asked a few questions but we were soon interrupted by the start of the meeting.

The first part of the meeting involved the introduction where we were all welcomed and thanked for coming out in this weather. As I expected, there were probably a few parishioners who could not attend because of the bad climate.

This was followed immediately by the announcements in which I was informed that there were two special ceremonies being performed today; a baptism and an ordination to the priesthood. An interesting footnote to mention is that there is a group vote in favor of the gentlemen who was being ordained. A show of hands seemed to indicate that everyone was pleased with this nomination.

We began the meeting with Hymn 119, “Come We That Love The Lord” and the opening prayer proceeded this song. The Sacrements were then blessed and passed around carefully to the members of the congregation. I was surprised to see that even young children were permitted to partake in the bread and water.

Hymn 187 “God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son” soon followed.

After the hymn, Sister Hamm stepped up to the podium and gave a speech entitled the Primordial Existence Of The Purpose Of Life. After the meeting I had the opportunity to compliment this woman on her talk and I noticed she had a bandage on her pinky finger. She explained that she only had a short time to prepare for her speech that she was filling in for a cancelled speaker and that the night before she was in an Emergency Hospital Ward for an accident she had with her finger but still continued to prepare and organize her speech. I was impressed not only with her professionalism but her dedication to come in that day to make sure the lecture was delivered.

Hymn 227, “There Is Sunshine In My Soul Today” was performed and it was Brother Gallo’s turn to give his talk entitled How Do We Come To

Christ. He related his story about when he arrived to states it had taken him awhile to understand the language. Even though he didn’t understand English he was not going to let this be an obstacle to his faith.

The meeting closed with Hymn 81 “Press Forward Saints” and afterward a heartfelt prayer.

After the service I was able to talk to Elder Prince who also noticed that I was a new face. He explained that if I needed to identify any of the Elders that I could recognize them by their black suits. We talked for awhile and he introduced me to President Bristow. I explained who I was I why I attended. He invited me to stay for the second meeting which was an adult school gathering with the topic discussion focusing on the New Testament and the handing down of the “keys to the kingdom”. There were scriptural research and plenty of question and answer opportunities among the members.

After this service we had to exit the room while they were preparing for yet another meeting but on the way out I was able to talk to a member who lived locally and he offered me a visit from the missionaries. I thought that this would be an interesting prospect and I wrote down my name and phone number. He wished me luck in my research and I thanked him for his kindness.

I learned many things that day but I realized that my purpose could not be completed in one visit. The dedication and acquisition of knowledge for the Latter Day Saints is an on-going process. Their fellowship is gracious and I found many members willing to extend this friendship to someone new like me and when I had questions, these concerns were answered politely and sincerely. If anyone has the time I would whole heartedly recommend a visit to your local Latter Day Saint Church. I include the official website for the LDS organization for anyone who wishes to further their research about the Mormons as well as a city search for anyone who wants to consider attending a meeting to their local Church Of Jesus Christ Of latter Day Saints.

[url="http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg"]http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg[/url]
[url="http://national.citysearch.com/"]http://national.citysearch.com/[/url]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/sonofcardero/LDS3.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/sonofcardero/LDS4.JPG[/img]

Edited by carrdero

jckinsman

Thank you! The information is helpful! Its just a very difficult, heartbreaking situation! I'm glad Budge you can still find it in your heart to slam the catholic church yet once again! I hope that someday,you can find it in your heart to forgive the catholic church for whatever it did to you! I really would like to know what that is? You fill the threads with hate for the catholic church! I'am new to PM budge,so for awhile I just sat and read what you wrote! You are one angry,hurt person! I am sorry! I typed up alot,(and backspaced it all) just now, and I just thought to myself, Why am I doing this? I think Budge you should ask yourself the same thing!? It is clear you do not want to know the truth,......so be it Budge,........If you have it, good for you! The Lord in his love and mercy will let you have your sin if thats what you crave. You have free will. He will be here for you WHEN you come back.............a little more humble...and so will your PHAMILY!
Back to the topic! I saw that there was a special on mormonism ,on TV ! Did anyone see it? This is a good thing to know where people are coming from! Its finding the right words that do not compromise my faith, well not underminding the parents! He is saying ,that there are things ,he just doesn't think are right and thing he flat out just doesn't believe. So I listen quietly and pray for the family. I know that they are high up in the order because his Grandfather was a Bishop! Does that mean something? He said he wanted to quit his faith. Almost as if he had a club membership there. I told him to be very careful,he is still 15! JC
Hey, also thank you for the play by play I always wanted to know what they did in church!

Edited by jckinsman

Katholikos

It would be most helpful to read [i]Inside Mormonism[/i] by Isaiah Bennett, a Catholic priest who became a Mormon, realized his error, and returned to the Church. He wrote the book in the hope that his experience would help others avoid his mistake.

Bennett wrote another book, [i]When Mormons Call[/i], to teach Catholics and others to recognize the errors in Mormon arguments when the "missionaries" come to the door. Both books available from Catholic Answers or Amazon.

Mormonism teaches that the Catholic Church (though they don't name it) went into apostasy shortly after the last apostle died and was not operative until Joseph Smith was appointed by Christ in a vision to found the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1830, which is the only True Church.

Joseph Smith had a penchant for detecting treasure on people's land by looking into magic stones in his hat with which he covered his face. When the landowner dug for the treasure, spirits had "moved" it, and they had to dig again. And again. And again. Smith was convicted in New York of something like fraud for these practices.

It was supposedly revealed to Smith that golden plates on which the Book of Mormon was written in "Reformed Egyptian" were buried on a hill in NY and Joe said he dug 'em up. He "translated" the BOM, using magic spectacles called Urim and Thummin, by sitting on one side of a blanket draped over a rope while his "secretary" sat on the other. JS read the "translation" to the secretary, who wrote it down. This was to protect the "secretary." You see, if anyone but Joe even so much as glanced at those golden plates, God would strike him dead. After Joe finished the translation, God took the plates back to heaven. The BOM is a mixture of the KJV and a book written by a guy named Spaulding which was fiction about the American Indians being the descendants of the Lost Tribes of Israel. Got the picture? The story goes on and on from there.

The Mormons have three "scriptures" besides the KJV, which was "corrected" by Smith. He wrote the BOM, Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. Smith called himself a Prophet. He had many "revelations."

Smith had 49 documented wives, some of whom were married to other husbands. The women (and their husbands, if they had one) were told that God had revealed to Joe that they were to be his bride. God sent Emma Hale, wife #1 of Smith, a personal message in the Doctrine & Covenants that she was not to object. Original Mormon teaching was that polygamy (polygyny, actually) was a prerequisite to a man's "exaltation" -- i.e., becoming a god who rules over his own planet after death. As a god, he would have spirit children through intercourse with his goddess wife and populate his planet.

Joseph Smith was killed while trying to break out of a Missouri jail. Brigham Young took his followers to unpopulated Utah.

Since Utah couldn't become a state while polygamy was being practiced, the President of the Mormons (the top guy) had a revelation that polygamy would be practiced in heaven. Utah reluctantly outlawed polygamy and became a state. It's still practiced.

I live in Arizona, where polygamy is practiced on the Utah border. Young girls are forced to marry older men, who may have as many wives as they wish. It's a very ugly situation, supported by taxpayers, since most of the plural wives live on welfare.

DNA studies have been done that prove American Indians are Mongoloid, not Semetic. Archaeology has been done all over the U.S. and no evidence of events in the BOM, including huge battles with many dead bodies and equipment, have ever been found.

Well, enough said.

Budge said Mormonism and Catholicism have many parallels, which proves she knows as much about Mormonism as she does about Catholicism -- NADA. ZIP.

Likos

References:

[i]Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine & Covenants[/i]
[i]No Man Knows My History, the Life of Joseph Smith[/i], by Fawn Brodie, Alfred A. Knopf
[i]Gopspel Principles,[/i] published by the LDS Church, Salt Lake City

Edited by Katholikos

[quote name='jckinsman' post='1261525' date='May 1 2007, 02:29 AM']Thank you! The information is helpful! Its just a very difficult, heartbreaking situation! I'm glad Budge you can still find it in your heart to slam the catholic church yet once again! I hope that someday,you can find it in your heart to forgive the catholic church for whatever it did to you! I really would like to know what that is? You fill the threads with hate for the catholic church! I'am new to PM budge,so for awhile I just sat and read what you wrote! You are one angry,hurt person! I am sorry! I typed up alot,(and backspaced it all) just now, and I just thought to myself, Why am I doing this? I think Budge you should ask yourself the same thing!? It is clear you do not want to know the truth,......so be it Budge,........If you have it, good for you! The Lord in his love and mercy will let you have your sin if thats what you crave. You have free will. He will be here for you WHEN you come back.............a little more humble...and so will your PHAMILY!
Back to the topic! I saw that there was a special on mormonism ,on TV ! Did anyone see it? This is a good thing to know where people are coming from! Its finding the right words that do not compromise my faith, well not underminding the parents! He is saying ,that there are things ,he just doesn't think are right and thing he flat out just doesn't believe. So I listen quietly and pray for the family. I know that they are high up in the order because his Grandfather was a Bishop! Does that mean something? He said he wanted to quit his faith. Almost as if he had a club membership there. I told him to be very careful,he is still 15! JC
Hey, also thank you for the play by play I always wanted to know what they did in church![/quote]

Don't forget that Part 2 of that special is on PBS tonight. This episode will most likely highlight the 20th Century perspective of the Mormon religion. From some of the Mormons that I corresponded with, they thought the PBS special was accurately presented but some couldn't help to feel it had an Anti-Mormon slant. I thought it was fair and informative.

Edited by carrdero

Ive been watching that show on PBS and plan to watch it tonight.

Why would you care if it was somewhat anti-Mormon? I dont want PBS which has enough liberal problems doing propaganda FOR the Mormon church.

Actually you all should see what secret Mormon Temple rituals are like...

[img]http://i15.tinypic.com/6aithm8.jpg[/img]

Heres two Mormon "priests" in their temple ritual getup.

Mormons rituals have direct links to Masonry...{notice the aprons and the hand gestures}

What is interesting is that Mormonism CELEBRATES that Adam and Eve sinned in the garden.

[url="http://home.teleport.com/~packham/temples.htm"]THIS SITE TALKS ABOUT AND SHOWS SECRET MORMON RITUALS[/url]

Your church isnt the only one I have exposed as being in error, I have spent time on Mormonism including direct witnessing to two "missionaries" in my old town.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Budge' post='1260497' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:57 AM']Oh well from Mormonism to Catholicism, frying pan to fire...

Ive witnessed to Mormons given them tracts and have informed them they dont need Temple rituals to enter heaven.

Mormonism is a LOT like Catholicism, plenty of parallels..

Temple rituals equal sacraments.[/quote]

I'm no fan of Mormonism... they aren't even trinitarian... How can you say that it's like Catholicism?

BTW, we watched much (though not all) of last night's PBS show.....

I think when someone complains that PBS is being "anti___" it seems that that perspective is not be portrayed fairly-- ie, facts are being distorted to promote an agenda. I'm not saying that that is or is not the case with the PBS show. The LDS church already has enough reasons for me to dislike it without having to distort facts to make it seem worse...

[quote name='Budge' post='1261654' date='May 1 2007, 11:42 AM'][color="#000080"]Ive been watching that show on PBS and plan to watch it tonight.

Why would you care if it was somewhat anti-Mormon? I dont want PBS which has enough liberal problems doing propaganda FOR the Mormon church.[/color]
Actually you all should see what secret Mormon Temple rituals are like...

Heres two Mormon "priests" in their temple ritual getup.

Mormons rituals have direct links to Masonry...{notice the aprons and the hand gestures}

What is interesting is that Mormonism CELEBRATES that Adam and Eve sinned in the garden.

[url="http://home.teleport.com/~packham/temples.htm"]THIS SITE TALKS ABOUT AND SHOWS SECRET MORMON RITUALS[/url]

[color="#000080"]Your church isnt the only one I have exposed as being in error, I have spent time on Mormonism including direct witnessing to two "missionaries" in my old town.[/color][/quote]

[color="#000080"]Budge, who is this post directed at?[/color]

Edited by carrdero

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1261661' date='May 1 2007, 11:48 AM']I'm no fan of Mormonism... they aren't even trinitarian... How can you say that it's like Catholicism?

BTW, we watched much (though not all) of last night's PBS show.....

I think when someone complains that PBS is being "anti___" it seems that that perspective is not be portrayed fairly-- ie, facts are being distorted to promote an agenda. I'm not saying that that is or is not the case with the PBS show. The LDS church already has enough reasons for me to dislike it without having to distort facts to make it seem worse...[/quote]
What is interesting about the Mormon religion is not only is it an American made religion but most of the history is verifiable from either documented writings and first-hand testimony. Depending on the sources one can usually gather enough perspectives to actually understand what exactly happened during those early moments of their established Church. Moromons don't really like to revisit these upsets of their history and I am sure that documentaries that report this information doesn't really do anything to comfort or reinforce their faith as much as it challenges their beleifs.

Edited by carrdero

jckinsman

I did not get a chance to watch the show,I will try tonight! Katholikos....I really got alot from that, It I am going to find the book today! Still he is 15 and in his familys home.!

Katholikos

[quote name='Budge' post='1261654' date='May 1 2007, 11:42 AM']Your church isnt the only one I have exposed as being in error, I have spent time on Mormonism including direct witnessing to two "missionaries" in my old town.[/quote]

Ah, yes, we know.

The Catholic Church, which was founded by Jesus Christ and taught by the Apostles, is in error. Alas, the powers of death prevailed against it. (Mt 16:18-19) Jesus was only kidding when He said that.

The Mormon Church, which was founded by Joseph Smith, is in error.

The only denomination that got it right is Budge's. But she's not telling which of the thousands of Protestant "churches" that is. :topsy:

Likos

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Mormons rituals have direct links to Masonry...{notice the aprons and the hand gestures}[/quote]

My great grandma had a fancy apron that used to belong to her own mother (a relic of the Victorian age) and she used her hands a lot during conversation. She was neither a Mason nor a Mormon.

I don't doubt for one moment that Mormonism is false, but you can't argue against it using comparisons and parallels that are as superficial as all that.

I don't appreciate the fact that Budge puts us in lines with Mormonism. Oh well, I guess we can't get everything we want... btw Carrdero, that was some interesting stuff on the goings on of a Mormon service. Thanks for sharing that. Thanks for the various input as well, Katholikos.

For my, in Spain the mormons is a sect. I have a protestant friend, and I do not call friend to anyone, I say it so that here is few(Protenstant and rest), but here are present and they are not related to the rest of the Christians. Good luck my sister.
0utf8

jckinsman

Thank you,ruso! greetings from seattle,washington! Likos.......We do not know which church budge attends?????? Was she not a baptized catholic, now rejecting the church????? I was under the impression she was! JC