An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bush Vetos Our Troops

catholicinsd

Winchester

Cathnsd,
Saw you had time to come by and make another thread. I'd hate for you to have to mine your own threads, so here are my questions so I can understand the vast knowledge, not obtained from the media, on which you base your well-informed decisions regarding the war in Iraq.
[quote]1. Do you think it is wise to adhere to a time limit on ceasing military presence?
2. What happens when better trained and equipped troops leave Iraq?
3. How many American troops, including those operating in a clandestine manner, are on the ground in Iraq?
4. How many non-military American intelligence operatives are active in Iraq or on the subject of Iraq?
5. How many assets are opertating for our intelligence services in Iraq or on the subject?
6. How many members of Al-Qaeda or other insurgent groups are present in Iraq?
7. How many members of these groups area available for deploymeny to Iraq?
8. What is the recruitment rate for these groups, currently?
9. What has historically happened in civil wars when the most powerful military presence withdraws?
10. What factions are fighting in Iraq, and how long have they been at odds?
11. Prior to the occupation of Iraq, what was the status of the various factions in Iraq?
12. Prior to the occupatio of Iraq, what human rights were afforded to the typical Iraqi citizen?
13. How many SOG troops are currently occupied with training Iraqi military?
14. How many SOG troops are currently occupied with training policemen in Iraq?
15. What is the price of a gallon of gasoline in Iraq?
16. What are the typical daily troop casualties and fatalities (separate these, please) for American soldiers in all the wars and conflicts since the founding of the United States of America?
17. What are the typical daily troop casualty and fatality (separate these, please) rates for modern warfare, if we define the modern period as beginning in 1980?
18. What, in brief, are the various concerns on the recently vetoed bill?
19. What is the history of "riders" on bills in America, and the justification for them?
20. What does minimum wage have to do with troop deployment?[/quote]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1262045' date='May 1 2007, 07:08 PM']Well I hope all ya'll are happy. Bush has sent our troops over there. Yet he vetos a bill that would give the nessecary funds. Also in that bill was the mimium wage increase. How can you people still support that man?[/quote]
Considering that minimum wage is a really bad idea, I think he was right to veto that.

catholicinsd

1) Yes, it is.
2) The Iraqi have to step it up or die.
3) While I'm not sure on the exact amount, I know it's a lot.
4) I'm sure sure what you're saying here
5) " "
6) There are several Muslim groups in Iraq.
7) They are already there.
8) It's quite high, as we severally pissed them off.
9)The government either has to put up or shut up.
10) They Sunni and Shittes, and they have been fighting long before we became involded.
11) Iraq wasn't in a Civil War.
12) It hasn't gotten much better.
13 & 14) Please Define SOG.
15) I really don't know
16 & 17) In all wars the amount of caulsolauties have been much to high.
18) Funding the troops, and withdrawl
19) Riders are clauses tied into major pieces of legislation, that wouldn't never have passed on their own.
20) It was tied into the War Funding Bill.

catholicinsd

[quote name='Raphael' post='1267362' date='May 7 2007, 07:17 PM']Considering that minimum wage is a really bad idea, I think he was right to veto that.[/quote]

Well considering you can afford to Steubenville, I wouldn't expect you to worry about money.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1267412' date='May 7 2007, 08:32 PM']Well considering you can afford to Steubenville, I wouldn't expect you to worry about money.[/quote]

Ooo, harsh... Deep breaths!

Red Knight

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1267412' date='May 7 2007, 07:32 PM']Well considering you can afford to Steubenville, I wouldn't expect you to worry about money.[/quote]

Support for an increase in a minimum wage just illustrates a lack of a fundamental understanding of a free market economy. In a nutshell, a minimum price on something in the market drives the prices of related goods or services up, how does that help the poor? It doesn't.

Guest T-Bone

As someone who makes just slightly more than the minimum wage, an increase would hurt me. What used to be a better than minimum wage job will become a minimum wage job.

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1270016' date='May 10 2007, 01:30 PM']As someone who makes just slightly more than the minimum wage, an increase would hurt me. What used to be a better than minimum wage job will become a minimum wage job.[/quote]

Yah, the old double squeeze. When they kicked the minimum wage up to $6.80 here in Ohio, the folks making $7.50 didn't benefit from the increase. They did experience the same rise in prices everyone else did. One of the small businessmen I know was forced to lift his prices fifty cents to manage his costs - he runs a college town restaurant and most of his employees are college kids making minimum wage, so his outlay for wages really went up. Fifty cents is not a lot to most people, but fifty cents matters when you're making 8 bucks an hour.

Most of his employees were working to get beer money for the weekends, and zero of them were living on their minimum wage jobs. The increase in the minimum wage had no effect on them except that eventually some of them were going to be let go. I am all for a just wage, but I think the old "let's increase the minimum wage" idea is an over-simplification of what's right for workers and their families.

Anyway, again, no Democrat seriously believed the president would not veto this bill. They slid the minimum wage hike line in there so that in November they can run commercials saying "so and so fought to increase the minimum wage, vote for him!" They're all lovely, lovely Giant Pander-bears.

Edited by Maggie

Brother Adam

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1267412' date='May 7 2007, 10:32 PM']Well considering you can afford to Steubenville, I wouldn't expect you to worry about money.[/quote]

Most of us who go to Steubenville do so accepting the fact that we will be in debt for the rest of our lives and have to live very frugally giving our talents and service as a sacrifice to the Church. The min. wage law caused many students to lose their campus jobs and others to lose hours. Just because their is a wage increase does not mean that companies or organizations have the money in the bank to pay for the increase. The increase hurts Americans, doesn't help Americans.

Adam

homeschoolmom

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1267412' date='May 7 2007, 07:32 PM']Well considering you can afford to Steubenville, I wouldn't expect you to worry about money.[/quote]
Apparently you don't read too many of the threads made by college students, then. They pretty much all worry about money.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1270659' date='May 10 2007, 08:12 PM']Apparently you don't read too many of the threads made by college students, then. They pretty much all worry about money.[/quote]
Money? What's that?

[quote name='Socrates' post='1262121' date='May 1 2007, 09:52 PM'](Whether you supported going into Iraq or not) does anyone really think a sudden American withdrawal at this time will be best for the people of Iraq?[/quote]

Thank you, that is exactly what I have been saying all along. To let the people of Iraq know exactly when our troops will be coming home would be like posting the date on the Internet. Everyone would know, the terrorists would be able to plan an attack on us and on other countries. Even the most top secrect information always has a way of getting out. I have many friends and family that have gone over to Iraq, and they are all proud to be serving in this war. Yes, I have been scared for them, but this war will do some good for the entire world. It is making the rest of the world realize that they cann't just walk all over the United States. I am saddened by the fact that we have lost many troops over there, but they are not forgotten. Those of you who do not have any friends or family in this war have noreason to be complaining about it. You have not lost anyone to it, you are just complaining for the sake of hearing your own voice.

And as for those of you who are complaining about the minimum wage thing, think about this: In Houston, TX the minimum wage is $5.15.

Edited by megrc