An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Really Think The Religion You Belong To Means You're Damned

GodChaser

Salvation - the most important thing to attain  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GodChaser

I would like to see this debated.

Come Budge, Come Catholics. Lets see what all of you will say about this!

dairygirl4u2c

i think you guys like listening to budge so much because she says such unfounded things that it helps reaffirm yourselves.

plus she is pretty amusing i gotta admit.

GodChaser

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1263650' date='May 3 2007, 09:40 PM']i think you guys like listening to budge so much because she says such unfounded things that it helps reaffirm yourselves.

plus she is pretty amusing i gotta admit.[/quote]
That she is.

BTW, this is FullTruth.

I decided to get my name change.

I think that you need faith in God because that is what He Himself told us our salvation was dependent upon. I also believe that religion matters because otherwise He wouldn't have established such a clear authority in the Church.

goldenchild17

We need God. God's grace alone saves us. But our salvation is dependent on accepting the true God. The only way to know the true God is through His true religion.

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1263644' date='May 3 2007, 10:24 PM']I would like to see this debated.

Come Budge, Come Catholics. Lets see what all of you will say about this![/quote]
Am I invited?

GodChaser...your question automatically assumes a dangerous polemic between God and Religion. It just does not make any sense with the historical understanding of what religion is. The dirty psuedo-4 letter word that protestantism makes religion out to be is nothing more than the ramblings of a scorned lover looking back with a self-gratifying position.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1263965' date='May 3 2007, 11:07 PM']GodChaser...your question automatically assumes a dangerous polemic between God and Religion. It just does not make any sense with the historical understanding of what religion is. The dirty psuedo-4 letter word that protestantism makes religion out to be is nothing more than the ramblings of a scorned lover looking back with a self-gratifying position.[/quote]

Agreed

got2luvjc

well... if it was solely dependent on God, then it wouldn't matter if we were Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, because all 3 faiths believe in the God of Abraham... right?

Are you all going to preach to me it doesnt matter what you believe? That Jesus Christ is optional or the anonymous Christian nonsense that teaches Jesus saves everybody who is nice enough even if they dont believe in Him or acknowledge Him.

That as long as you are nice enough youll be going to heaven? {according to this logic I could have stayed UU, I was *nice* while UU in a very altruistic demanding career and still gone to heaven rejecting Christ}

Youve all taken pluralism to new levels.

Why even have this board then, one can be Catholic or not. Being Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim is "good enough"......

You do see religions the same I was taught in the UU...God on top of the moutain and all paths up to the top, are the different religions. {You all just think that Catholicism is the *best* path but believe the other religions are pathways to God, the latter== same as UUs}

Its not about religion, its about relationship with Jesus Christ.

It is interesting how church membership is so important to you folks, but when it comes to Christ, oh He is a "nice" 'option'.

When I was UU and Catholic I was going to hell. If I had died during those years, I know that is where I would have been.

I was "nice and sincere" but rejected the gospel of Jesus Christ.

You folks cant claim you never heard the gospel. Christians here have linked to sites explaining it and hvae preached the gospel of grace to you.

CHURCH MEMBERSHIP DOESNT MATTER ...{I dont care if anyone here ever becomes a Baptist, it simply does not matter to me. What matters to me is that you are born again and have entered into a true relationship with Christ in faith.

RELATIONSHIP TO JESUS CHRIST DOES and YOUR RESPONSE TO THE GOSPEL. {are you going to accept or refuse?}

RezaMikhaeil

Budge: When did I say or suggest, "Are you all going to preach to me it doesnt matter what you believe? That Jesus Christ is optional or the anonymous Christian nonsense that teaches Jesus saves everybody who is nice enough even if they dont believe in Him or acknowledge Him"?

What is your position here?

Do you believe that faith in Jesus Christ is necessary for salvation?

what is godchaser aka fulltruth's position here, do you mean?

the Catholic position is the same as it's always been: it's absolutely necessary to be in communion with the Body of Christ, aka the Catholic Church, to truly know Christ; and it's absolutely necessary to know Christ to be saved. yet if you do not know Christ if it is not through your own fault, you will not necessarily be damned (then the question of whether there's any active salvation comes up, that's debatable, not defined, and speculative; the only thing we're sure of is that we are to act as if not evangelizing everyone will mean they are in danger of hell); any person who's fault it is that you do not know Christ is in danger of hellfire though!

I don't know what the point of all this is: but we believe the Catholic Church to be the Body of Christ, identical with Christ himself; and there is no separation between Christ and the Church; one cannot say "Christ alone without the Church" or "the Church alone without Christ"; the two are inextricably linked.

LouisvilleFan

I'm not even sure if it's worth replying to Budge since, for one, nobody in this thread ever suggested a relevantism, and second, because my past replies to Budge's comments have gone ignored.

But to set the record straight, a relationship with God through Jesus Christ is absolutely necessary for salvation. There's a whole document about it called Dominus Iesus (although I haven't read it yet). The only "exception" is that some people never hear the Gospel, or hear it in a way that isn't compatible with a message of forgiveness, so either they never had an opportunity to accept the Gospel or "rejected" the Gospel because the people who preached it to them were also raping their women or whatever. Ultimately, it's not about whether you actually get to say that salvation prayer, get baptized, or [i]do[/i] anything. It's about your relationship with God because all of us were created for God. Therefore, regardless of what other religion they might have been practicing and seeking God, anyone who receives eternal life receives it through Christ. Basically, only God knows if a non-Christian would accept the Gospel, and that's all the Church is saying when she says that non-Christians can be saved.