An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Is A Mortal Sin Yes Or No?

White Knight

[quote name='reyb' post='1300785' date='Jun 24 2007, 06:40 PM'][indent]That is not the point.[/indent]. [indent]Grave sin in this manner is too grave to have conditions to satify in oder to be considered 'grave sin'. Thus, grave sin is not mortal sin with respect to entire chapter IV, Article 8 of Catechism of Catholic Church.[/indent][/quote]
I'm lost too.
I don't think you understand the terms here. You're probably confusing "grave sin" and "grave matter."

If one commits a sin which involves grave matter, knows it is grave matter, yet freely and willingly does it anyway, he has commited a mortal (or grave) sin.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1300815' date='Jun 24 2007, 10:35 PM']I'm lost too.
I don't think you understand the terms here. You're probably confusing "grave sin" and "grave matter."

If one commits a sin which involves grave matter, knows it is grave matter, yet freely and willingly does it anyway, he has commited a mortal (or grave) sin.[/quote]

Sounds right on target to me. :)

[quote name='reyb' post='1291730' date='Jun 10 2007, 02:17 AM'][indent]Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 2181
[color="#0000FF"]The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a[b] grave sin[/b]. [/indent][/color][/quote]

[indent]Ok. the above paragraph clearly states missing a mass is a grave sin.[/indent]
[indent]Now, the question is - Is this grave sin means mortal sin with respect to the teaching of Catechism of Catholic Church?[/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1294840' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:12 PM'][indent]This is my point...[/indent]
[indent]Missing a mass cannot be classify as mortal sin because it [post="1291740"][b]lacks the condition [/b][/post]presented in CCC pp 1854 to weight the gravity of effect on human experience and thus to classify the committed sin whether it is mortal or venial sin.[/indent][/quote]

[quote name='reyb' post='1300785' date='Jun 24 2007, 07:40 PM'][indent](Grave) sin in this manner is too grave to have conditions to satify in order to be considered 'grave sin=[color="#0000FF"]mortal sin'[/color]. Thus, grave sin (in 2181) is not mortal sin with respect to entire chapter IV, Article 8 of Catechism of Catholic Church.[/indent][/quote]

[indent]....because mortal sin is a classification of sin out of conditions in paragraph 1854. [/indent] [indent]While 'grave sin' in the above paragraph 2181 is not a kind of sin out of classification presented in paragraph 1854. [/indent]
[indent]It is a sin against the Church herself[/indent]

Edited by reyb

melporcristo

JMJT

THis is exactly what my fam & I debate back and forth.
My dad has 2 jobs, both that require manual labor so sometimes he won't go to Mass.
Sad times ...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='reyb' post='1300826' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:33 PM'][indent]....because mortal sin is a classification of sin out of conditions in paragraph 1854. [/indent] [indent]While 'grave sin' in the above paragraph 2181 is not a kind of sin out of classification presented in paragraph 1854. [/indent]
[indent]It is a sin against the Church herself[/indent][/quote]

Paragraph 1854 does not establish any conditions for classifying sin. It only establishes the fact that sin [i]can be[/i] classified. Nothing more than that. The conditions for mortal sin are presented a few paragraphs later...

I won't leave any more responses on this. I've tried to clarify the Catechism's writing style, but obviously didn't do a very good job. This isn't a topic worth spending so much time on.

[quote name='melporcristo' post='1300928' date='Jun 24 2007, 10:39 PM']JMJT

THis is exactly what my fam & I debate back and forth.
My dad has 2 jobs, both that require manual labor so sometimes he won't go to Mass.
Sad times ...[/quote]

Sounds like they need to get a life and quit worrying about dad :) A lot of people miss Mass because they have to work or they're too tired from working a late shift or whatever, but because they missed, it's "easy" to see their "sin." Meanwhile, the people who religiously attend Mass out of guilt or to "make up" for what they did on Friday or Saturday night get a free pass.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1301272' date='Jun 25 2007, 01:59 PM']Paragraph 1854 does not establish any conditions for classifying sin. [b]It only establishes the fact that sin [i]can be[/i] classified[/b]. Nothing more than that. The conditions for mortal sin are presented a few paragraphs later...[/quote]

[indent]Noted. [/indent]