An Old School Catholic Message Board

They Expect Idol Worship To Keep Brazil Catholic?

Budge

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1268490' date='May 9 2007, 02:32 AM']It's hard to pick up the telephone when one's grandmother is dead, [b]Budge[/b]. Have some respect for those who passed on.[/quote]

Exactly!

And even for those still living, I see nothing wrong with this. I do the same thing with pics of my parents, who are hard to call or visit regularly due to the fact that I live across the ocean from them. Before I got married, kissed the pic of my then-fiancee every night. I could & did call him, but couldn't visit very often from 2 states away. Oh yes, and I did all this before I was Catholic, too.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Im glad the true apostles preached the gospel and didnt take around silly dolls...[/quote]Religious images were in use in the days of the apostles - in a Christian context. We know this because some of the images did survive the iconoclasts. Check your history, Budge. And I mean check it, don't rewrite it.

[quote]Maybe so...

All that fornication with kings, well showing up empty handed doesnt exactly win the princes over.[/quote]

So first you criticise the Catholic Church for not doing enough to help the world's poor. When you find out that this is not true, you accuse her of helping the world's poor for the sake of 'winning the princes over'. Your arguments are always terribly inconsistent.

Can I ask you exactly how the Church has managed to 'win princes over' in her work in places like Liberia, Bangladesh, and Sierra Leone? I know some religious sisters who work in Liberia, the Corpus Christi Carmelites. They lived in very poor villages with local people, running schools and providing free medical care. When the civil war came their convent was razed to the ground and they were forced to run away, as the government gave them no legal protection and did not want them to be there. But they came back. Every secular charity got out of those villages, fast, but a band of nuns came back to help the people at a very dangerous time and clean up the mess. And they're just one example. What reward did they get? Nothing except the knowledge that they were living for Jesus.

Mormons help the poor, it doesnt mean your church is TRUE.

[quote]Religious images were in use in the days of the apostles - in a Christian context.[/quote]

PROVE THIS STATEMENT USING SCRIPTURE>>>>>>>>>>>>> {Ill be waiting right here}

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1269143' date='May 9 2007, 02:19 PM']PROVE THIS STATEMENT USING SCRIPTURE>>>>>>>>>>>>> {Ill be waiting right here}[/quote]

- Prove to me the use of Gospel music in Scripture.

- Jesus quoted the Old Testament from time to time, but He never quoted the chapter nor the verse. Prove to me in Scripture where Christians are permitted to do this.

>>>>>>>>>>>> {I'll be waiting here}

Oh so we arent allowed to quote scripture now...

OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

<_<

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1269297' date='May 9 2007, 04:12 PM']Oh so we arent allowed to quote scripture now...

OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

<_<[/quote]

I didn't say we aren't allowed to quote Scripture, Jesus quoted Scripture. Do you read your Bible?

I said that Jesus did not [b]quote the chapter or verse[/b] and since the Bible does not explicity show an example of this practice, nor teaches it, by your standards we aren't suppost to do it since it's unscriptural. Just like it's unscriptural to bow down to statues.

So What?

I dont always quote the numbers either, may just say from the book of John it says...

What does this quibble and nibble have to do with anything?

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1269307' date='May 9 2007, 04:19 PM']So What?

I dont always quote the numbers either, may just say from the book of John it says...

What does this quibble and nibble have to do with anything?[/quote]

[b]BECAUSE IT'S UNSCRIPTURAL![/b]

You're practicing a custom that is not endorsed nor explicity mentioned in the Bible, therefore, you are not a strict Bible following Christian.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1269307' date='May 9 2007, 06:19 PM']So What?

What does this quibble and nibble have to do with anything?[/quote]

Budge, you got caught contradicting yourself again.

Thats the best argument you could come up with? Is that Catholic apologetics out of a cracker box? :rolleyes:

ANYHOW....

little wooden dollies ARE discussed.....lest you forget...

[b]Deu 4:28 And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands,[b] wood[/b] and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
[/b]

Paladin D

[quote name='mulls' post='1269312' date='May 9 2007, 04:22 PM']Pal, seriously, we're all beyond that inane line of reason.[/quote]

I'm using [b]Budge[/b]'s line of reasoning, it's not mine.

Brother Adam

So God commanded the making of a graven image in Numbers 21:8-9. Another contradiction in the religion of Budge. You should join Christianity.

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1269316' date='May 9 2007, 04:24 PM']Thats the best argument you could come up with? Is that Catholic apologetics out of a cracker box? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yo, is that the best you got? I feel ya, it's hard to take down a Christ-centered institution that's been around for approx. 2,000 years. Keep trying though, you may make a dent someday.

Besides, you're the last to talk. Making a big fuss over small stuff such as statues and dolls is a desperate measure. Incase you forgot, you didn't address the issue of Gospel music not found in the Scriptures. Why do you follow a type of music that wasn't practiced in the Bible?

[quote]Besides, you're the last to talk. Making a big fuss over small stuff such as statues and dolls is a desperate measure[/quote]

Im making the fuss?

I didnt build a gold case and a multimillion dollar cathedral to house the THING.