An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stephen Colbert A Threat?

RezaMikhaeil

The Joey-O

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1269910' date='May 10 2007, 09:20 AM']I ain't watched Colbert much more then outside whatever clips are usually posted on youtube [I don't have television in the crib] and as just a commedy show that isn't taken as journalism, then it's very humorous at times, but if you're using it as a journalistic media source, then you're searching in the wrong place. The idiots in the video clip that's this topic's starter, are seriously taking it too seriously and feel threatened. Threatened by what? I don't know... a commedian that makes jokes about global warming? If that's the case, then they need to get a life and move on [not the website]. I highly doubt that people base their love or hate for Grizzley bears based upon Stephen Colbert's humor... and if so, they have alot of learning to do.

Reza[/quote]

Most of the time he's a caricature. Sometimes, one can tell that he really buys into a certain issue and is ripping into somebody who's against it. For example, there was an atheist guy on the show once. He did his usual "I'm a stupid conservative bit". but his questions weren't that stupid. He also stuck to the questions with a sort of ferocity that actually made the guy mad. He allows his bias his character sometimes. It's a subtle difference, but I'm not the only one of my friends who's noticed it.

From my understanding the real Stephen Colbert (not the caricature) is a Roman Catholic. While I doubt that he's well catechized (it's possible he is, I don't know), he definately has leanings in the general Roman Catholic positions. I think he's conflicted between very liberal stances on issues, which American culture North of the Mason-Dixon line has taught him to believe and the beliefs of the Catholic Church as he understands them. For example, while I can't say that I know him to be absolutely against abortion, there have been moments where he seemed genuinely skeptical and genuinely not at all thrilled with the idea of abortion.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1269927' date='May 10 2007, 09:06 AM']Most of the time he's a caricature. Sometimes, one can tell that he really buys into a certain issue and is ripping into somebody who's against it. For example, there was an atheist guy on the show once. He did his usual "I'm a stupid conservative bit". but his questions weren't that stupid. He also stuck to the questions with a sort of ferocity that actually made the guy mad. He allows his bias his character sometimes. It's a subtle difference, but I'm not the only one of my friends who's noticed it.

From my understanding the real Stephen Colbert (not the caricature) is a Roman Catholic. While I doubt that he's well catechized (it's possible he is, I don't know), he definately has leanings in the general Roman Catholic positions. I think he's conflicted between very liberal stances on issues, which American culture North of the Mason-Dixon line has taught him to believe and the beliefs of the Catholic Church as he understands them. For example, while I can't say that I know him to be absolutely against abortion, there have been moments where he seemed genuinely skeptical and genuinely not at all thrilled with the idea of abortion.[/quote]

Colbert is Catholic and, indeed, teaches CCD, as far as I know. FWIW, he's originally from SC. He is rightly skeptical of the policies of this administration, IMHO. Having said that, when he breaks out with the Nicene Creed, I'm not sure that he isn't serious. As Shakespeare wrote in "Twelfth Night," "...the truth is oft proclaimed in jest."

The Joey-O

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1269961' date='May 10 2007, 11:25 AM']Im politically apathetic, but I think he is very funny[/quote]

Why are you politically apathetic?

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1269944' date='May 10 2007, 09:56 AM']Colbert is Catholic and, indeed, teaches CCD, as far as I know. FWIW, he's originally from SC. He is rightly skeptical of the policies of this administration, IMHO. Having said that, when he breaks out with the Nicene Creed, I'm not sure that he isn't serious. As Shakespeare wrote in "Twelfth Night," "...the truth is oft proclaimed in jest."[/quote]

That is what I think of him.

Now what does FWIW mean? And CCD? And SC?

It's like a coded message!

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='prose' post='1270040' date='May 10 2007, 09:54 AM']And CCD?[/quote]

Is that a joke?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='prose' post='1270040' date='May 10 2007, 11:54 AM']That is what I think of him.

Now what does FWIW mean? And CCD? And SC?

It's like a coded message![/quote]

FWIW = For what it's worth
CCD = Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, e.g. religious education
SC = South Carolina

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1269924' date='May 10 2007, 10:53 AM']Peeps, Colbert is satire. Both Al Franken and Eli Pariser, who appear in the You Tube clip, have appeared on Colbert's show. Indeed, the You Tube clip [i]itself[/i] is satire.[/quote]I suppose satire has the greatest sting when there are people who actually lend credence to it.

The Joey-O

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1269977' date='May 10 2007, 11:48 AM']out of all people you ask me this. are you being serious?[/quote]

Yes. I'm asking, because it sounds a little bit like despair. While, I would agree that our politics is messed up, I still think there's hope. The natural intentions and inclinations in American politics would lead one to believe that while there's no great possibility of things becoming better, there is a small chance. If there's a small chance, there's hope, however statstically improbable it may be. Also, there is the fact that we can have supernatural hope in a miracle. That gives us even more hope.

If there's hope, apathy is probably inappropriate. There's just a lot of work that needs to be done.

EDIT: I'm really not trying to sound chipper or authoritarian.

Edited by The Joey-O

Paddington

Maggie and T-Bone,

Bears are very afraid....................of how badly we would hurt somebody if we were cornered.
Colbert doesn't like talking about it, but us bears have been very kind to him. His inferiority complex makes him see it otherwise. Have a good life Stephen Colbert!

GRRRRRRRRRRR,
Paddington

By and large, Colbert is classic. He's self-proclaimed Democrat, but he's a Roman Catholic as well. I don't know what his *official* stance on abortion is, but he's probably pro-choice (afterall, he is a comedian who has a show on Comedy Central). Still, he's awesome. He cracks me up!

[quote name='Paddington' post='1270662' date='May 10 2007, 10:14 PM']Maggie and T-Bone,

Bears are very afraid....................of how badly we would hurt somebody if we were cornered.
Colbert doesn't like talking about it, but us bears have been very kind to him. His inferiority complex makes him see it otherwise. Have a good life Stephen Colbert!

GRRRRRRRRRRR,
Paddington[/quote]

A good life? Or a short one, if the bears get him.