An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stephen Colbert A Threat?

RezaMikhaeil

Paddington

[quote name='Maggie' post='1271768' date='May 12 2007, 10:38 AM']A good life? Or a short one, if the bears get him.[/quote]

He's got nothing to worry about. :)

The Joey-O

I'm with Colbert on the bear issue. We should ban together to exterminate such vile creatures. They eat the elderly, you know.

Paddington

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1271887' date='May 12 2007, 02:05 PM']I'm with Colbert on the bear issue. We should ban together to exterminate such vile creatures. They eat the elderly, you know.[/quote]

My powerful jaws have hit the floor on that one.

Paddington

Maggie,

Thanks. :)
That's enough closure for me.
I'll stop hijacking this thread now. I love Stephen Colbert tho. Funny Guy.

Paddington

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1272590' date='May 13 2007, 05:46 PM']Fine. I'll ask. What is "Politically Apathetic"?[/quote]

I don't know, and I don't care.

:P:

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='Maggie' post='1271937' date='May 12 2007, 02:54 PM']Paddington wouldn't eat our aged relatives, he's a [i]tame [/i]bear.[/quote]

¿De veras? :ninja:

The Joey-O

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1272590' date='May 13 2007, 06:46 PM']Fine. I'll ask. What is "Politically Apathetic"?[/quote]

To be apathetic about something is to not care about it. To be politically apathetic is to not care about politics in general.

While, I cannot read the mind of revprodeji, I'm guessing he didn't mean that he doesn't care about politics. Rather, the state of American and world politics is such that it's not worth thinking about.

Again, I want to stress the fact that I cannot read his mind, but I'm making an educated guess.

Joey_o...explain more about the mind of the revprodeji.

Why would he have issues with the state of world politics?

The Joey-O

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1273095' date='May 14 2007, 01:47 PM']Joey_o...explain more about the mind of the revprodeji.

Why would he have issues with the state of world politics?[/quote]

I understand that you may have unique insight. I'm not questioning that. I'm simply trying to say that there is ALWAYS hope in EVERYTHING. As far as explainin why you have issues. I'm far too afraid of the consequences of doing such a thing.

johnnydigit

on the one hand, he can lead people astray if taken the wrong way. on the other hand, he could be leading people to the Church out of curiosity. so which one is better?

personally i've always found him funny because i like that type of humor. haven't seen him for a while though, since i've grown pretty sensitive to tv and such. as long as he doesn't preach any untruths, i guess it's good we have at least one person in that niche of hollywood who isn't ashamed to call himself Catholic?

kenrockthefirst

The following is typical: on Monday (May 14) night's show, Colbert did a bit about Mitt Romney. In it, Colbert said something along the lines of, "I don't have a problem with Mitt Romney being openly Mormon. Mormonism's fine, it's tied for second along with all other religions after Catholicism."

While the above was stated semi-tongue in cheek, my sense is that there's some element of "truthiness" to these types of comments by Colbert.

I think he is Catholic. And probably a pretty good one.

I thought his Christmas sets were awesome!

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='prose' post='1275043' date='May 16 2007, 11:38 AM']I think he is Catholic. And probably a pretty good one.

I thought his Christmas sets were awesome![/quote]

He is definitely Catholic, and makes comments like the one cited above all the time. Indeed, my only problem is that he often refers to a) the Earth being only 6,000 years old, and b) the Rapture, neither of which are taught by the Catholic Church (but which I think he espouses to "wind up" his guests).