An Old School Catholic Message Board

Knowing The Apostles Creed

Hirsap

The Apostles Creed and the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed are not "equivalents." The latter was decreed by the Second Ecumenical Council, while the former was not.

Besides, Arians would be willing to recite the Apostles Creed, but they would never agree to recite the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed.

:)

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1281890' date='May 26 2007, 06:02 PM']I have been to non-Catholic churches that use the Apostles Creed.[/quote]
Protestant Churches often use the Apostles Creed, but Eastern Churches (both Orthodox and Catholic) do not.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1281892' date='May 26 2007, 07:04 PM']The Apostles Creed and the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed are not "equivalents." The latter was decreed by the Second Ecumenical Council, while the former was not.

Besides, Arians would be willing to recite the Apostles Creed, but they would never agree to recite the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed.

:)[/quote]

The Apostles' Creed is just as authoritative as the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed because it was written by the Apostles. The Catechism of the Council of Trent says thus about the Apostles' Creed:

[quote][b]The Catechism of the Council of Trent, Part I:[/b]
The Creed

Now the chief truths which Christians ought to hold are those which the holy Apostles, the leaders and teachers of the faith, inspired by the Holy Ghost' have divided into the twelve Articles of the Creed. For having received a command from the Lord to go forth into the whole world, as His ambassadors, and preach the Gospel to every creature, they thought it advisable to draw up a formula of Christian faith, that all might think and speak the same thing, and that among those whom they should have called to the unity of the faith no schisms would exist, but that they should be perfect in the same mind, and in the same judgment.

This profession of Christian faith and hope, drawn up by themselves, the Apostles called a symbol; either because it was made up of various parts, each of which was contributed by an Apostle, or because by it, as by a common sign and watchword, they might easily distinguish deserters from the faith and false brethren unawares brought in, adulterating the word of God, from those who had truly bound themselves by oath to serve under the banner of Christ.
[url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/ebooks/master/trent/tcreed00.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/ebooks/mast...nt/tcreed00.htm[/url][/quote]

And, unless you have some citation of an Arian saying the Apostles' Creed, I do not think that they would say it seeing as they deny that the Holy Ghost is a Person.

Edited by StThomasMore

StThomasMore,

It may be as authoritative to you, but it is not to me.

May God bless you.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1281903' date='May 26 2007, 06:18 PM']And, unless you have some citation of an Arian saying the Apostles' Creed, I do not think that they would say it seeing as they deny that the Holy Ghost is a Person.[/quote]
A quotation from a text is unneccessary. An Arian would be willing to recite the Apostles Creed because it does not affirm that the Son is [i]homoousio[/i]s with the Father.