An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Support

dairygirl4u2c

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1284546' date='May 30 2007, 04:37 PM']I support maximum wage.
Seriously... that idea might actually go somewhere...[/quote]

:yes:

Groo the Wanderer

I support a minimum wage - $0 an hour. That's how much I make teaching CCD :lol_roll:

This ain't the 1920's folks....

RezaMikhaeil

I support a minimum wage [and a higher one at that]. I don't know of a single household that could survive strictly on minimum wage to be honest. My mother was one of those people trying to make ends meet with just minimum wage, and it didn't work. We would have been homeless before my second birthday if it weren't for local churches and relatives donating, and once I'd gotten some foster parents, they also helped.

Reza

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1285059' date='May 31 2007, 08:38 AM']I support a minimum wage [and a higher one at that]. I don't know of a single household that could survive strictly on minimum wage to be honest. My mother was one of those people trying to make ends meet with just minimum wage, and it didn't work. We would have been homeless before my second birthday if it weren't for local churches and relatives donating, and once I'd gotten some foster parents, they also helped.[/quote]

The minimum wage isn't intended to provide enough income to raise a family. It's basically a check to keep businesses from taking advantage of the labor market when supply of workers is plentiful. If we raised the minimum wage to $9 or $10 an hour, many small businesses would be forced to close or begin hiring illegal labor. Inflation would also be likely, effectively making the $10 worth less than $6 is now. The best solution is for charities to pick up the slack for those who need it, and hopefully providing services like education and job training that make them more valuable in the labor market.

IrishSalesian

I suppot a minimum wage. I think that the minimum wage should be alittle more than the liveable income. This way people could be alittle more at ease with their finaces. I think that the minimum wage should be $9.00

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1285081' date='May 31 2007, 08:06 AM']I suppot a minimum wage. I think that the minimum wage should be alittle more than the liveable income. This way people could be alittle more at ease with their finaces. I think that the minimum wage should be $9.00[/quote]
A $9.00/hr minimum wage would mean a lot more unemployed people - hardly a way to fight poverty.

The truth is that most minimum-wage jobs are part-time and held mostly by high-school kids, etc., or are jobs where most income is made by tips. Requiring every burger-flipper and cashier to be paid a living wage would have a depressing effect on the economy and result in much fewer jobs and more poverty.

Norseman82

I support a minimum wage coupled with tax cuts to help out the businesses that may be adversely affected (which, by the way, is what President Bush was pushing for a few months earlier, as I recall).

EDIT: the tax cuts will go to AMERICAN businesses with ONSHORE employees.

But aside from minimum wage, I think most workers are more concerned about health insurance availability and the rising cost of that. I know my share of group health insurance premiums have skyrocketed in the past two years, even after switching over to a HSA/HRA-type plan.

Edited by Norseman82

dairygirl4u2c

Yeah 9 is too much even to me who is for a minimum wage. Maybe in NY or LA or something, maybe.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1285694' date='May 31 2007, 10:23 PM']Yeah 9 is too much even to me who is for a minimum wage. Maybe in NY or LA or something, maybe.[/quote] It depends on the location. The national minimum wage isn't nessessarily the state minimum wage either. When I was in minnesota, 5.50 was minimum wage, while in washington it's 7.50.

Reza

I like the thought of it,yet I know small business would suffer and even be forced to close up shop! Is this not what America was founded on? small business? Think about it? Time marches on yes,but when is our right to dictate our own wages. It should be left up to the employer how much to pay his employees. Provided he pays 350.00 an hour,don't you agree???? Plus Overtime and a new pair of shoes.............and every tuesday I have to leave work early,to pick up my dog from obediance school. .................. oh yes I would ash wednesday off also....................and every first friday.......................and saturday also! :juggle: