An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Satan Have Reign Over The Earth?

Paladin D

Jehovah Witness's believe that Satan has reign over the Earth, which includes governmental institutions. Which also explains one of the few reasons why they forbid military service, the Pledge of Alliegance, voting, running for office, and etc.

Now, what is the Catholic view on this? You have no idea how frustrated I am right now, can't seem to find any answers regarding this topic.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1296204' date='Jun 15 2007, 04:49 PM']Jehovah Witness's believe that Satan has reign over the Earth, which includes governmental institutions. Which also explains one of the few reasons why they forbid military service, the Pledge of Alliegance, voting, running for office, and etc.

Now, what is the Catholic view on this? You have no idea how frustrated I am right now, can't seem to find any answers regarding this topic.[/quote]

Excellent resources for any JW issue:

[i]Answering Jehovah's Witnesses [/i]by Jason Evert, published by Catholic Answers

[i]The Catholic Answer to the Jehovah's Witnesses[/i] by Louise D'Angelo (out of print, available on the used book market)

Edited by Katholikos

Try here. You'll find many articles about JW beliefs.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/search.asp?query=jehovah%27s+witnesses"]http://www.catholic.com/search.asp?query=j...h%27s+witnesses[/url]

goldenchild17

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1296204' date='Jun 15 2007, 03:49 PM']Jehovah Witness's believe that Satan has reign over the Earth, which includes governmental institutions. Which also explains one of the few reasons why they forbid military service, the Pledge of Alliegance, voting, running for office, and etc.

Now, what is the Catholic view on this? You have no idea how frustrated I am right now, can't seem to find any answers regarding this topic.[/quote]

I don't believe Satan is always allowed full reign over the earth as the damage he could do would be unimaginable. But I do believe that he will be given (if he hasn't been given so already) a 100 year time span at some point to make his move, whatever it is to gain the most influence that he can upon the earth.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have to run out, I'll check out the links once I get back.

Proud2BCatholic139

Satan has a powerful influence on today's society...

The reason is...people are losing their faith, especially in the church, but more generally God. You know why? Because of being lukewarm. We are silent and we, as Christians, do not stand up for our belief in God.

Satan is merely a spirit, why fear? God can defeat Satan in an instant, but He allows evil in this world. This is our chance as Christians, now, to stand up...pray the Rosary, devote your love to Blessed Mother through the Rosary, pray the Rosary Daily, and have recourse to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Feast Day today). Evil can be defeated if we fight against it, not be silent.

Whatever is not good is not from God. God is good. Whatever bad thought is in your head, "Your sins can not be forgiven, God doesn't love you..." That is from the Satan. Do not listen, and fight, and pray often.

May God Bless you.

God merely permits fallen angels to wreak havoc to a limited degree, but they certainly dont reign over the world. Christ is the King of the world.

The power of fallen angels is limited. . .

I have to say that Satan has this world, but not for much longer.

His people have signed their own death warrents with their plans for humanity.

It is just time to relax, lay back, keep in the will of God, and let God fight our battles for us.

I remember Fulton Sheen said something to the effect that the word "world" has two meanings.

The first denotes the arena of redemption. The world is where we form and refine our character. This is the world in the first sense.

The second meaning refers to the "Spirit of Worldliness". This is a corrupting, enslaving influence of Satan.

It is always good to make a clear distinction of the two.

One major problem with Preterism is the thought that Satan is now bound...

in THIS world???

Satan is the prince of this world.

Stay away from JW, they mix many truths with lies, on this they are right, but they are a cult because they deny that Jesus Christ is God.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1296927' date='Jun 16 2007, 07:27 PM']It is just time to relax, lay back, keep in the will of God, and let God fight our battles for us.[/quote]

Slight correction here...God does NOT want us to lay back and go on cruise control waiting for Him.

We are to go out into the world and preach the Gospel to all nations, we are to oppose and resist and thwart the adversary at every turn, we are to build up the Kingdom of God on Earth.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1297401' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:25 PM']One major problem with Preterism is the thought that Satan is now bound...

in THIS world???

Satan is the prince of this world.

Stay away from JW, they mix many truths with lies, on this they are right, but they are a cult because they deny that Jesus Christ is God.[/quote]
Satan's being bound doesn't mean that other devils can't do his bidding. Anyway, the point is more illustrative. I could be wrong, but I believe that Satan's being bound means that he can't go beyond certain limits, not that he can't do anything bad at all. For instance, he can't directly murder a human being. We see Satan a little bound in Job, when he is given instructions by God not to harm Job directly, for instance. In the endtimes, he will be given much more power for a brief time.

Being bound doesn't mean all the way...not yet, anyway.

Does he reign? No.
Is he a pain? Heck yeah!!

Satan smells of elderberries. Screw that dude. Turn to Christ and don't worry about what the JW's say.