An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Satan Have Reign Over The Earth?

Paladin D

rollingcatholic

[quote name='kujo' post='1298892' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:56 AM']Does he reign? No.
Is he a pain? Heck yeah!!

Satan smells of elderberries. Screw that dude. Turn to Christ and don't worry about what the JW's say.[/quote]

I have this on a shirt:

[img]http://www.xpressmart.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1616.gif[/img]

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1296785' date='Jun 16 2007, 12:26 PM']pray the Rosary, devote your love to Blessed Mother through the Rosary, pray the Rosary Daily,[/quote]
so are you saying to pray the rosary? :mellow:

:P: just kidding. i totally agree with your post. ^_^

:rolleyes: I think this goes back to the dulistic beliefs of Manicians and some of the other ancient christian heresies
that believed there was GOD,the good God who created the soul and all good in the world,and Satanel or Satan,who
created the material world and imprisioned bits of light,ie the soul in to matter,ie,the body.It was man's job to free himself from the material world and work towards union with the good God.
The Cathars if I recall,at least the Perfects,observed celibacy and chastity,for they believed that sex and reproduction only continued the cycle of soul imprisionment .They also didnot eat meat,beliving that animals may contain the souls of those who had not evovled spiritually to join the Good God.I 'll have to try to find some links.Just be sure you spell it Cathar in your search,
because if you spell it Cather by mistake,you'll find all kinds of information on the writer,Willa Cather.
The ordinary believers were not held to such high standards,only those who chose to be Perfects,or in french Parfaits.
The Cathars were in Italy,mainly Northern Italy,and also some in Germany,but I have read very little on the german and italian ones.Most books are about the french Cathars.

I think it was in some ways an attempt to explain good and evil in the world,or as they say,When Bad Things Happen to Good People,which is a book written i believe by a rabbi to explain why some people who are decent human beings have sometimes horrible bad luck.

OneForTruth

This is a typical - JW "pull it out of context" situation - what the exact agenda is I am not quite sure of...

What does the Bible say...

1John 5:19 We know that we are of God, and that the [b]whole world lies in the power of the evil one[/b].

2Corinthians 4:4 in whose case [b]the god of this world [/b]has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Ephesians 2:2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.

BUT...at the same time we have...

Romans 13:1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. [b]For there is no authority except from God[/b], and [b]those which exist are established by God.[/b]2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience' sake.
6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

AND...

Joh 19:10 So Pilate *said to Him, "You do not speak to me? Do You not know that I have authority to release You, and I have authority to crucify You?"
11 Jesus answered, "[b]You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above[/b]; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin."

The devil only gets to do what is allowed him to do...for God is our Soveriegn and has full control over eveything. We see the case at the beginning of the book of Job how Job was afflicted...

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
7 The LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" Then Satan answered the LORD and said, "From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it."
8 The LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil."
9 Then Satan answered the LORD, "Does Job fear God for nothing?
10 "Have [b]You not made a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.[/b]
11 "But put forth Your hand now and touch all that he has; he will surely curse You to Your face."
12 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, [b]all that he has is in your power[/b], only do not put forth your hand on him." So Satan departed from the presence of the LORD.

The power that Satan had was only granted him by God himself...God has ultimate control. One day, we certainly know what will happen to him...

Revelation 20:10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Edited by OneForTruth

[quote]Satan's being bound doesn't mean that other devils can't do his bidding. Anyway, the point is more illustrative. I could be wrong, but I believe that Satan's being bound means that he can't go beyond certain limits, not that he can't do anything bad at all. For instance, he can't directly murder a human being. We see Satan a little bound in Job, when he is given instructions by God not to harm Job directly, for instance. In the endtimes, he will be given much more power for a brief time.

Being bound doesn't mean all the way...not yet, anyway.[/quote]
[u]
Satan isnt bound yet...

In fact the bounding of Satan happens in Revelation 20, the second coming in Christ in Revelation 19...how do you explain that...???[/u]

FROM REV 19:

[b] 11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. [/b]

FROM REV 20:

[b] 1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season. [/b]