An Old School Catholic Message Board

Free Vocation Guide For 2008 Now Available...

jkaands

Order online at

www.vocationguide.org

or email:

mail@vocationguide.org

or call:

1-800-942-2811

It takes 4-6 weeks and you can order multiple copes up to 100 shipped for free. From 101-200, add $30. for shipping. Over 201, add $60. for s&h.

First issues mailed 1 Aug 2007

There are free bilingual bookmarks and a free tri-lingual poster featuring our own Sr. Mary Catherine!!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='jkaands' post='1300371' date='Jun 24 2007, 12:50 AM']Order online at

www.vocationguide.org

or email:

mail@vocationguide.org

or call:

1-800-942-2811
It takes 4-6 weeks and you can order multiple copes up to 100 shipped for free. From 101-200, add $30. for shipping. Over 201, add $60. for s&h.

There are free bilingual bookmarks and a free tri-lingual poster featuring our own Sr. Mary Catherine!![/quote]

Good heavens! Am I on the poster?
I know they asked if they could use my photo on the cover. I think I'm the "habit" in the group!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='jkaands' post='1300371' date='Jun 24 2007, 12:50 AM']Order online at

www.vocationguide.org

or email:

mail@vocationguide.org

or call:

1-800-942-2811

There are free bilingual bookmarks and a free tri-lingual poster featuring our own Sr. Mary Catherine!![/quote]

I know they asked if they could use my photo on the cover. I think I'm the "habit" in the group!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

www.vocationguide.org

or email:

mail@vocationguide.org

or call:

1-800-942-2811

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1300463' date='Jun 24 2007, 06:08 AM']Good heavens! Am I on the poster?
I know they asked if they could use my photo on the cover. I think I'm the "habit" in the group![/quote]

Yes, you are, ma'am! And you look very nice and so's yer habit!

Anticipate many inquires!

"who's that masked nun?!"

where can [i][b]I [/b][/i]get that habit?!

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1300463' date='Jun 24 2007, 06:08 AM']Good heavens! Am I on the poster?
I know they asked if they could use my photo on the cover. I think I'm the "habit" in the group![/quote]
Can you post the direct link the poster? Because I am NOT seeing it... :(

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1300816' date='Jun 24 2007, 07:09 PM']Can you post the direct link the poster? Because I am NOT seeing it... :([/quote]

The actual poster is the backside of the notice I received in the mail!

if you write, or email, or call for a copy (or copies) of the

"free multilingual poster", you'll probably get it.

It's very nice. There's our own lovely Sr. MC, resplendent in her FULL OP habit, and three other women, in civvies, one African-American, one Asian, and one Hispanic (I think). Behind them there are three men in clerical garb, one anglo (?) in the 'roman' collar, one Asian in a brown Franciscan robe w/ cowl, and one brown-skinned man in what look likes a priest's white cassock.

I think that the emphasis is on multi-culturality in this poster.

As for the Vision Guide, there are articles, ads, and capsule descriptions of hundreds of orders.

Also the interesting recent article which describes the rising stats of inquiries is inside, altho' this article also accessible on the www.vocationguide.org website.

--the guide also includes many pix of sisters in habits, which are usually of the modified variety.

Edited by jkaands

philosophette

[quote name='jkaands' post='1301354' date='Jun 25 2007, 03:15 PM']It's very nice. There's our own lovely Sr. MC, resplendent in her FULL OP habit.....

--the guide also includes many pix of sisters in habits, which are usually of the modified variety.[/quote]

Not implying that you are meaning anything by that... I just have to say....

I think the modified habit is not as bad as some people act like it is (like you are not fully a nun, or you are liberal if you wear one and other such rubbish). Even Sr Mary Catherine's habit is a modified habit version of their original, if I am not mistaken.

The Salesian Sisters wear a modified habit, but it is very modest and I like it.

I think Sisters should be given credit for wearing a habit regardless of what it looks like (admittedly some are kind of unflattering), if that is their Order's charism.

Just sayin' ^_^

be_thou_my_vision

I learned something interesting about shorter habits the other day! Sr. Lois said that the order shortened the habits to 10 inches off the floor because it was actually a witness to the vow of poverty... the hem was always needing to be replaced, so if it was shorter, then it wouldn't require as much money because it would not need to be repaired. I thought that was a neat tidbit!

Edited by be_thou_my_vision

I just got my poster in the mail, and there is our Sr. M. Catharine!! Nice looking poster.
I love the Salesians habit, it is a habit you can work in, play in and just plain live in.

Yes, I think that the Summit NJ Dominican nuns have simplified their headdress in recent years...

I mentioned the FULL HABIT, bec so many 'massers seem to be in love with the idea.

As I've stated more than once on this forum, the old habits were often hot, dangerous (for driving), dirty (hems, sweat), and the dickens to maintain in many cases.

And re the hems, there's an interesting bit in The Nun's Story, a great read, btw, in which the sloppy habits you developed as a sister would be reflected in your habit (the dress) , in that if you forgot to lift the back going down stairs, the rear hem would become frayed! Another reason for shortening the hem.

Many of the new habits are attractive and practical.

The new Guide is mailed media mail (allow 4-6 weeks for delivery) in batches. If you get your order in before July 9, you'll receive it (them) by late Aug. After that the mailing dates are Sept. 17, 2007, Oct 30, 2007, and Jan 4, 2008.

Edited by jkaands

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1301416' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:38 PM']I learned something interesting about shorter habits the other day! Sr. Lois said that the order shortened the habits to 10 inches off the floor because it was actually a witness to the vow of poverty... the hem was always needing to be replaced, so if it was shorter, then it wouldn't require as much money because it would not need to be repaired. I thought that was a neat tidbit![/quote]

+

I don't like showing my ankles, personally! I think it's distracting to see a nun's ankles, too.

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1301373' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:30 PM']Not implying that you are meaning anything by that... I just have to say....

I think the modified habit is not as bad as some people act like it is (like you are not fully a nun, or you are liberal if you wear one and other such rubbish). Even Sr Mary Catherine's habit is a modified habit version of their original, if I am not mistaken.

The Salesian Sisters wear a modified habit, but it is very modest and I like it.

I think Sisters should be given credit for wearing a habit regardless of what it looks like (admittedly some are kind of unflattering), if that is their Order's charism.

Just sayin' ^_^[/quote]

+

I think it's great when sisters wear a habit even when "modified" and I am happy to see it. But, I also think it's legitimate to have preferences for a longer scapular and veil, e.g. I know there are faithful sisters who wear the more obviously modified habit.