An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Theme Anthem For World Youth Day 2008.

cappie

GUY Sebastian has finally been able to lend his voice to a gospel song, recording the theme anthem for World Youth Day 2008.

Sebastian wrote the song, which he sings with Paulini Curuenavuli, and it will be released over the Internet on July 1 in the lead-up to the Catholic Church's event in Sydney next year.

"I am not Catholic as such but I guess the fundamentals are in place, which is Christ-based faith,'' said Sebastian, who simply identifies himself as a Christian.

"I guess to write it just came naturally. It was one of the quickest songs I've ever written.''

Sebastian's Receive The Power was chosen by the Vatican as the official tune for the congress, which will be held in Sydney from July 15 to 20, 2008.

Pope Benedict XVI will make his first trip to Australia for the event.

More than 125,000 delegates, or "pilgrims'', from around the world and a further 175,000 from Australia are expected to attend.

Sebastian is a World Vision ambassador and high-profile Christian, growing up in Adelaide as a member of the Paradise Church.

He recorded Receive The Power in English but the song will also be released in French, Spanish and Italian.

"This is a pretty cool event where a whole bunch of young people from around the world are getting together about something which is positive,'' he said.

Sebastian and Paulini will perform the song during World Youth Day and will launch the track at Sydney's Darling Harbour on July 1.

The World Youth Day Cross, the event symbol, is due to arrive in Australia on that same day.

[url="http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,,21956923-5006009,00.html"]Link for story click on video link for song[/url]

Despite officially being released on July 1st, you can listen to it and see the video on the link.

[url="http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,21956923-5006009,00.html"]http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5006009,00.html[/url]

Under his picture there is a link.

Why did a non-Catholic write and sing this music? I don't understand. :idontknow:

Edited by Totus Tuus

I was thinking the same thing. There are a billion Catholics in the world, and not one could come up with a WYD theme??

Oh my gosh....is this song lame or what?

Dude, why weren't Matt Maher, Tom Booth, Josh Blakesley, Righteous B, manuel3, Akalyte, Era Might, Cheer Up Charlie, or Fr. Stan contacted?

[quote name='kujo' post='1301388' date='Jun 26 2007, 07:10 AM']Oh my gosh....is this song lame or what?

Dude, why weren't Matt Maher, Tom Booth, Josh Blakesley, Righteous B, manuel3, Akalyte, Era Might, Cheer Up Charlie, or Fr. Stan contacted?[/quote]

The world doesn't revolve around the United States.... :rolleyes: strange that.... :lol_roll:

[quote name='cappie' post='1301469' date='Jun 25 2007, 08:02 PM']The world doesn't revolve around the United States.... :rolleyes: strange that.... :lol_roll:[/quote]

Sorry for my narrow-minded patronage of American Catholic music. Silly me for not liking lame music made by some mope named "Guy Sebastian."

[quote name='kujo' post='1301470' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:03 AM']Sorry for my narrow-minded patronage of American Catholic music. Silly me for not liking lame music made by some mope named "Guy Sebastian."[/quote]

That's really intelligent

[quote name='kujo' post='1301388' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:10 PM']Matt Maher[/quote]

Can I get an Amen?

AMEN!

cathoholic_anonymous

Does it matter that he's not a Catholic? If anything, I think this is a wonderful contribution to ecumenism. It isn't compromising our faith. It's inviting a Christian from a different church to share in it. World Youth Day shouldn't be some 'members only' club. I think it's great that Catholics and Christians from other backgrounds can enrich each other's prayer lives in this way.

Regarding his promotion of World Vision, supporting that organisation does not mean that you automatically endorse their policy on contraception. My family have sponsored a Senegalese child through World Vision in the past, paying for his education and upkeep. He needed it. Badly. We can't deny that World Vision does a lot of good. It isn't defined exclusively by its distribution of contraception. And if you start boycotting charities entirely because they hand out condoms, you are left with next to no charities at all. Even CAFOD has been guilty of condom distribution. The solution is to donate to specific programmes and campaigns within the wider charity, so that you know for sure that your money will not fund contraception.

[quote]Sorry for my narrow-minded patronage of American Catholic music. Silly me for not liking lame music made by some mope named "Guy Sebastian."[/quote]

This is going to come as a huge shock.

Many non-Americans (and there are a surprisingly large number of us) either [i]don't like[/i] or [i]have never heard of[/i] the artists that you mention. As for Guy Sebastian being a 'mope', does he merit that title because you think his music is bad, he's a non-Catholic, or he has the shockingly bad taste not to be American?

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1301514' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:25 PM']Does it matter that he's not a Catholic? If anything, I think this is a wonderful contribution to ecumenism. It isn't compromising our faith. It's inviting a Christian from a different church to share in it. World Youth Day shouldn't be some 'members only' club. I think it's great that Catholics and Christians from other backgrounds can enrich each other's prayer lives in this way.

Regarding his promotion of World Vision, supporting that organisation does not mean that you automatically endorse their policy on contraception. My family have sponsored a Senegalese child through World Vision in the past, paying for his education and upkeep. He needed it. Badly. We can't deny that World Vision does a lot of good. It isn't defined exclusively by its distribution of contraception. And if you start boycotting charities entirely because they hand out condoms, you are left with next to no charities at all. Even CAFOD has been guilty of condom distribution. The solution is to donate to specific programmes and campaigns within the wider charity, so that you know for sure that your money will not fund contraception.
This is going to come as a huge shock.

Many non-Americans (and there are a surprisingly large number of us) either [i]don't like[/i] or [i]have never heard of[/i] the artists that you mention. As for Guy Sebastian being a 'mope', does he merit that title because you think his music is bad, he's a non-Catholic, or he has the shockingly bad taste not to be American?[/quote]

He earned the term "mope" because I think that his music is lame and mope-ish. Save your anti-American rants for something else. You're barking up the wrong tree for that.

She's not being anti-American. If it's a bad song, it's not on account of it not being American--that would be blindly nationalist. I'm not assuming that's why you don't like the song, but you should take care not to make it sound like that, especially because not everyone here is American, like cappie, who's from Australia. Besides, WYD is in Sydney--makes sense for an Aussie to be doing the song, though it'd be nice to have a Catholic doing it.

However...I don't really like the song all that much either--it sounds like "Greatest Love of All"-type Whitney Houston era or something, a bit cheesy and all.