An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Theme Anthem For World Youth Day 2008.

cappie

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='kujo' post='1301521' date='Jun 26 2007, 02:34 AM']He earned the term "mope" because I think that his music is lame and mope-ish. Save your anti-American rants for something else. You're barking up the wrong tree for that.[/quote]

I'm not being 'anti-American'.

I'm just getting increasingly tired of the idea that if something doesn't originate in the USA, it either a.) doesn't exist, or b.) must be rubbish. This idea is quite common on Phatmass, whether you realise it or not, and I'm not the only non-American to have noticed it. The fact that complaining about this sentiment is enough to get me branded 'anti-American' is proof in point.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1301537' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:52 PM']I'm not being 'anti-American'.

I'm just getting increasingly tired of the idea that if something doesn't originate in the USA, it either a.) doesn't exist, or b.) must be rubbish. This idea is quite common on Phatmass, whether you realise it or not, and I'm not the only non-American to have noticed it. The fact that complaining about this sentiment is enough to get me branded 'anti-American' is proof in point.[/quote]

Blah blah blah. That was not my intention, to discount cultures abroad. Whatever. This is a lame argument to even be having...

Birgitta Noel

It's not a bad song.

Remember the committee has to pick something that will appeal to a lot of people. I suspect that the classical element of this song was a part of that consideration.

Also, the lyrics are simple which makes it easy to translate, teach people to sing, and be understood by a wide range of people who may only know a little bit of English.

As for only naming American singers I'm sure there are lots of non-American singers who would have done a great job. If you're not American (or if you are) and know of some international recording artists who would fit the bill other than Guy, please tell us about them. We'll never know about them if we're not introduced to them!

No one said it HAD to be an American, or that it SHOULD be an American to write the song, they merely named the artists with whom they are familiar as Americans.

World Youth Day is meant to unite us, not separate us.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1301537' date='Jun 25 2007, 07:52 PM']I'm not being 'anti-American'.

I'm just getting increasingly tired of the idea that if something doesn't originate in the USA, it either a.) doesn't exist, or b.) must be rubbish. This idea is quite common on Phatmass, whether you realise it or not, and I'm not the only non-American to have noticed it. The fact that complaining about this sentiment is enough to get me branded 'anti-American' is proof in point.[/quote]

I am non-American, and I think it is weird that they went with , not only a non-Catholic, but a guy who says he guesses that he is christian... Sounds relativist.

I guess what I was thinking is that it is sad that not one of the BILLION (1.03 billion to be exact) Catholics in the whole world could come up with an ecumenical or God-worthy song that was for one of the largest Catholic events in the world.

[quote name='prose' post='1301592' date='Jun 25 2007, 11:01 PM']I am non-American, and I think it is weird that they went with , not only a non-Catholic, but a guy who says he guesses that he is christian... Sounds relativist.

I guess what I was thinking is that it is sad that not one of the BILLION (1.03 billion to be exact) Catholics in the whole world could come up with an ecumenical or God-worthy song that was for one of the largest Catholic events in the world.[/quote]

You can bet your behind that someone COULD write a song, but isn't it so much nicer to have it written by a non-Catholic? I mean, what a nice ribbon on top of the gift....

::vomits in disgust::

I'll write a song. You tell me what the theme of WYD is and I'll write a song.

kujo mentioned Matt Maher, and he's Canadian, so they weren't exclusively American.

But anyway, they try to use artists from the country where the WYD is being held.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='kujo' post='1301610' date='Jun 26 2007, 04:29 AM']You can bet your behind that someone COULD write a song, but isn't it so much nicer to have it written by a non-Catholic? I mean, what a nice ribbon on top of the gift....

::vomits in disgust::[/quote]

Whatever Guy Sebastian's faults in doctrine and musical composition, let's hope that lack of kindness isn't one of them. Are those disgusting non-Catholic Christians really going to pollute WYD to the extent where you have to vomit?

[quote]I am non-American, and I think it is weird that they went with , not only a non-Catholic, but a guy who says he guesses that he is christian... Sounds relativist.[/quote]

In the article I read, he didn't say that he 'guesses' he is a Christian. He said that he is a Christian. It is possible to be Christian and not Catholic. It's not relativistic to say that. The Catholic Church accepts as valid every baptism that is performed in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, irrespective of the church where it is carried out.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1301577' date='Jun 26 2007, 03:38 AM']As for only naming American singers I'm sure there are lots of non-American singers who would have done a great job. If you're not American (or if you are) and know of some international recording artists who would fit the bill other than Guy, please tell us about them. We'll never know about them if we're not introduced to them![/quote]

Kathryn Scott, Margaret Rizza, and Bernadette Farrell are my personal favourites, but there are also Emmaus, Juliet Turner, Fire Fly, and a lot of Gaelige-language artists whose music is absolutely gorgeous.

Speaking of theme songs, this year as a seminarian I'm going to be joining our diocesean group for the Steubenville North trip up in St. Paul. I just got the disc in the mail with the them song and then eighteen other songs. At first I didn't like the theme song, because it has a rock music feel to it. But then I googled for the lyrics and found that the song has some good lyrics I thought for the most part.

Check it out: All Accell by Sarah Bauer [url="http://www.franciscanyouth.com/multimedia/2007/All_Access_Lyrics.pdf"]http://www.franciscanyouth.com/multimedia/...cess_Lyrics.pdf[/url]

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1301934' date='Jun 26 2007, 05:26 AM']Kathryn Scott, Margaret Rizza, and Bernadette Farrell are my personal favourites, but there are also Emmaus, Juliet Turner, Fire Fly, and a lot of Gaelige-language artists whose music is absolutely gorgeous.[/quote]

Cool! Linkage? Any favorite songs?

If they wanted a good Australian Christian artist, couldn't they just get Mortification, or Horde do us a song? :hehehe: :punk: Just kidding of course!

Paulini has a good voice, I'm not crazy about the song. Although I have nothing against the 2 R&B singers who got chosen, I can understand the feelings of those who wanted a Catholic artist to do the track. And the disappoinment of those who are Australian Catholic musicians who would have given it their [i]all [/i]for the Papa and WYD. But better to feel humbled than bitter about it... :saint: