An Old School Catholic Message Board

Muslim Indiana

dairygirl4u2c

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Budge' post='1303348' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:38 PM']hehehehe

Maybe this should be my new avatar...
[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/4zkpb14.jpg[/img]
[i]
Exploding Catholic deceptions Everyday!

{deceptions like Allah of Islam equals God}[/i][/quote]

What the heck does this have to do with the debate?

Gosh, you should change your name to match your new avatar. It should be "Bump" :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

[quote name='Budge' post='1303348' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:38 PM']hehehehe

Maybe this should be my new avatar...
Exploding Catholic deceptions Everyday!

{deceptions like Allah of Islam equals God}[/i][/quote]
too bad you keep being hoisted by your own petard

Regrettably I don't believe Maryland was named after the Virgin, even though Lord Baltimore set it up as a haven for Catholics. I think it was named after Queen Mary, in fact.

[quote name='Budge' post='1303338' date='Jun 27 2007, 12:33 PM']Sure I know there are Trad Catholics who reject Vatican II and what the latest Popes have taught.

I respect them in that they at least hold consistently to the first commandment even if they get other things wrong such as what the Catholic Church is really about.[/quote]
The Magisterium can definitively proclaim that a specific doctrine is divinely revealed or is intimately connected to divine revelation.

That said, there is no way that a statement issued by the Magisterium on the nature of the Islamic religion can be seen as divinely revealed, or even as connected to divine revelation; and, as a consequence, a Catholic is not bound to accept statements of that kind. In other words, a man does not have to be a so-called "Traditional" Catholic in order to reject the idea that Muslims worship the true God; instead, he simply has to be an informed Catholic.

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1303443' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:55 PM']JMJ
6/27 - St. Cyril of Alexandria

I'd leave Indiana.[/quote]
Chicken.

JMJ
6/27 - St. Cyril of Alexandria
[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1303449' date='Jun 27 2007, 04:57 PM']Chicken.[/quote]
Not out of fear, but of anger.

To get back to the original question of the poll, the Constitution would indeed allow Indiana to declare itself officially Muslim.
The establishment clause in the First Amendment applies only to the national Federal Government.
The individual states have the right to declare themselves officially whatever religion they want. In fact, in the early years of the Republic, most of the states had their official religions, though these were dropped with time, and the official state religions did not amount to much in practice.

I answered "yes" to the second question, not because I think Indiana (or any other state for that matter) [i]should[/i] be offically Muslim, but that it is not the place of the Federal government to restrict the religious decisions of the people of the various individual states. That is a case of the federal government overstepping its bounds (as it frequently does now, with federal judges removing the 10 Commandments from state courtrooms and such).

The federal government has no right to determine whether a state can have an official religion, or what it can or can't be. That decision is left to each respective state, as guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment.

[b]The Tenth Amendment[/b]:[quote]The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.[/quote]

However, if Indiana were to start implimenting Shariah law, that would create serious constitutional issues, as it would deny the people rights guaranteed in the Constitution, particularly by the Fifth Amendment.

[quote name='MichaelF' post='1303097' date='Jun 27 2007, 08:42 AM']1.) The Establishment Clause prevents a State Religion. Period.[/quote]
Wrong.

The Establishment Clause prevents only an official [i]national[/i] religion.

[quote][b]Congress[/b] shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion[/quote]
This refers specifically to the U.S. Congress, not the individual states.
Most of the individual states had an official state church at the time of the founding, and this was never ruled unconstitutional.

Whether to have a state religion is a decision which belongs to the individual states respectively, as guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment:[quote][b]The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people[/b].[/quote]