Pio Nono Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 JMJ 7/2 - Thirteenth Monday I'll just keep bringing this up until someone does it. It's my "Carthago delenda est". Will someone make a Phatmass smiley wearing a black biretta? [b]o{][/b]:-)
bonoducchi Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 [quote name='Pio Nono' post='1306477' date='Jun 30 2007, 10:50 AM']I pretty much enjoy praying in any language EXCEPT English. And German. They're ugly languages.[/quote] You must not be a fan of Mozart's operas.
bonoducchi Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 (edited) Double post Edited July 2, 2007 by VaticanIILiturgist
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 [quote name='Pio Nono' post='1306477' date='Jun 30 2007, 09:50 AM']I pretty much enjoy praying in any language EXCEPT English. And German. They're ugly languages.[/quote] Yay! A kindred spirit. I often experience resentment at being a native English speaker (I call it the bastard tongue) as it is a constant reminder of the rape and suppression of my ancestral culture and people at the hands of certain English speaking tyrants. Then there is the objective brutishness of the language. It just smells illegitimate. There was a time when I was considering forever renouncing English, but of course this would not work in my situation for obvious practical reasons.
Totus Tuus Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 I have I have -- forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "ordinary" and "extraordinary"? I got to the TLM every Sunday - does that merit one of the terms? I have
Totus Tuus Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Pio Nono' post='1309184' date='Jul 2 2007, 08:53 AM']JMJ 7/2 - Thirteenth Monday I'll just keep bringing this up until someone does it. It's my "Carthago delenda est". Will someone make a Phatmass smiley wearing a black biretta? [b]o{][/b]:-)[/quote] What is "Carthago delenda est"? If you don't have that biretta by the end of the day... well, I just think you will. Edited July 2, 2007 by Totus Tuus
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 [quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1309601' date='Jul 2 2007, 03:24 PM']What is "Carthago delenda est"?[/quote] Carthage must be destroyed. An expression of vengeance.
gamesfanatic04 Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 Cicero put it at the end of every speech, even if it was super off topic no matter what. Because he was cool like that.
Resurrexi Posted July 4, 2007 Author Posted July 4, 2007 [quote]have I have -- forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "ordinary" and "extraordinary"? I got to the TLM every Sunday - does that merit one of the terms? I have[/quote] The "ordinary" form of the Latin Rite is the New Liturgy. The "extraordinary" form of the Latin Rite is the Classical Roman Liturgy. [quote]I often experience resentment at being a native English speaker (I call it the bastard tongue) as it is a constant reminder of the rape and suppression of my ancestral culture and people at the hands of certain English speaking tyrants. Then there is the objective brutishness of the language. It just smells illegitimate. There was a time when I was considering forever renouncing English, but of course this would not work in my situation for obvious practical reasons.[/quote] And who might these ancestors be?
MichaelF Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 [quote name='gamesfanatic04' post='1309660' date='Jul 2 2007, 04:59 PM']Cicero put it at the end of every speech[/quote] Cato the Elder.
Luthien Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1311605' date='Jul 3 2007, 10:02 PM']The "ordinary" form of the Latin Rite is the New Liturgy. The "extraordinary" form of the Latin Rite is the Classical Roman Liturgy. And who might these ancestors be?[/quote] This is L_D. I was just being facetious in that post, my "b". There is a bit of the language of those ancestors in my signature. I'm turning this into a puzzle to be solved. haha
homeschoolmom Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1311605' date='Jul 3 2007, 08:02 PM']And who might these ancestors be?[/quote] I'm going to go out on a limb here and say.... The Irish?
Maggyie Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 I believe in his acknowledgments in [i]Angela's Ashes[/i], Frank McCourt thanks the English for stuffing their language down the throats of the Irish "so that we could vomit it back up in glorious colors" or something similar...
MichaelF Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 Interlingua! [i]Nostre Patre, qui es in le celos, que tu nomine sia sanctificate; que tu regno veni; que tu voluntate sia facite super le terra como etiam in le celo. Da nos hodie nostre pan quotidian, e pardona a nos nostre debitas como nos pardona a nostre debitores, e non duce nos in tentation, sed libera nos del mal. [/i] Don't laugh, I knew people in University who were mad about that stuff.
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 [quote name='MichaelF' post='1312016' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:32 AM']Interlingua! [i]Nostre Patre, qui es in le celos, que tu nomine sia sanctificate; que tu regno veni; que tu voluntate sia facite super le terra como etiam in le celo. Da nos hodie nostre pan quotidian, e pardona a nos nostre debitas como nos pardona a nostre debitores, e non duce nos in tentation, sed libera nos del mal. [/i] Don't laugh, I knew people in University who were mad about that stuff.[/quote] A strange blend of Latin, French, Italian Spanish and Portuguese?
Aloysius Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 L_D, I share your sentiments about English except when I think of Chesterton and Shakespeare, then I calm down and realize English has a place and a purpose. Certain things have to be said in English, like when you curse the Tudor Monarchs for nearly destroying our ancestral tongue you gotta do it in English so they can understand you from their special little spot in hell.
Church Punk Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 I like to pray the rosary or parts of the rosary in Latin, I typically attend the Tridentine mass now. And we have Benediction in Latin at almost all circumstances.
Church Punk Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 (edited) OPPS Double post...please omit Edited July 4, 2007 by Church Punk
MichaelF Posted July 4, 2007 Posted July 4, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1312019' date='Jul 4 2007, 01:38 AM'] A strange blend of Latin, French, Italian Spanish and Portuguese? [/quote] It's a Constructed Language (developed to allow a huge swathe of people to learn a single secondary language, not too different from their primary language, in order to facillitate communication), using the Romance grammar and the vocab of a set of control languages ( English, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, with German and Russian as secondary references). Essentially, it's set up so that speakers of any of the Romance languages, as well as English, will be able to pick it up very quickly. Volkspraak is the Germanic-derived counterpart (still a work in progress). Edited July 4, 2007 by MichaelF
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now