Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?

I mean, I've always found it difficult to follow the Tridentine Mass. I don't see what's so spiffy about it.

philosophette
Posted

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:37 PM']who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?

I mean, I've always found it difficult to follow the Tridentine Mass. I don't see what's so spiffy about it.[/quote]

Eh, it makes some people happy, but it really has no significant impact upon my life.

Posted

[b]It's the best news I've heard in years!!![/b]

Posted (edited)

The N.O [b]and[/b] the Trid. Rites are [b]equal[/b], I don't think its right to put [b]either[/b] down.

Edited by Luthien
Posted

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 04:37 PM']who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?

I mean, I've always found it difficult to follow the Tridentine Mass. I don't see what's so spiffy about it.[/quote]

I would have to agree with you...

philosophette
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' post='1317025' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:48 PM']The N.O and the Trid. Rites are equal, I don't think its right to put either down.[/quote]

I do not think that anyone is putting either down. :unsure:

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Luthien' post='1317025' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:48 PM']The N.O and the Trid. Rites are equal, I don't think its right to put either down.[/quote]
Yeah, and that's really exactly what the pope said. You can't make a rule of excluding one.

I find it interesting that, after all the hype, this really didn't give in to SSPX demands.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Luthien' post='1317025' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:48 PM']The N.O [b]and[/b] the Trid. Rites are [b]equal[/b], I don't think its right to put [b]either[/b] down.[/quote]


Quite right, although, I think the Holy Father said they shouldn't be referred to as different rites, but rather as different forms of the same rite.

Edited by tomasio127
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Luthien' post='1317025' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:48 PM']The N.O [b]and[/b] the Trid. Rites are [b]equal[/b], I don't think its right to put [b]either[/b] down.[/quote]


I just thought I needed to bold a few words in my previous post. ^_^

Edited by Luthien
Posted

[quote name='tomasio127' post='1317034' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:55 PM']Quite right, although, I think the Holt Father said they shouldn't bee referred to as different rites, but rather as different forms of the same rite.[/quote]


:thumbsup:

Posted

Whether or not it impacts your own spiritual life, it is a great good for the universal Church, because she is preserving the diversity of her worship. We all gain from different spiritual traditions and expressions. Also, far from threatening the Liturgical reform, this will help the rites of Paul VI be celebrated more faithfully to the mind of the Council and the rubrics. I think this will be remembered as an historic day 500 years from now, when they are looking back on Church history.

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' post='1317048' date='Jul 7 2007, 09:06 PM']Whether or not it impacts your own spiritual life, it is a great good for the universal Church, because she is preserving the diversity of her worship. We all gain when we have different spiritual traditions and expressions. Also, far from threatening the Liturgical reform, this will help the rites of Paul VI be celebrated more faithfully to the mind of the Council and the rubrics. I think this will be remembered as a historic day 500 years from now, when they are looking back on Church history.[/quote]


Yeeah Pape!

Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:37 PM']Am I the only one who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?[/quote]

Yup.

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 05:37 PM']Am I the only one... who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?[/quote]
I hope so!

Posted

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 05:37 PM']who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?

I mean, I've always found it difficult to follow the Tridentine Mass. I don't see what's so spiffy about it.[/quote]
Actually I would guess that the vast majority of American Catholics are with you on this one.

What we see on PM is not a representative sampling of the U.S. Church.

Posted

[quote name='scardella' post='1317017' date='Jul 7 2007, 07:37 PM']who could for the most part care less about the motu proprio?

I mean, I've always found it difficult to follow the Tridentine Mass. I don't see what's so spiffy about it.[/quote]
Ive been to a triddy mass. Yes its a thing of beauty but it seemed like I was just a spectator kneeling and sitting at different times while the priest and the choir did their things. They are both part of the same tradition. I am glad that Pope Benedict made that crystal clear. To read some of the posters hereone would think that the Novus Ordo was some horrid imposition and that everything was perfect until the second vatican council! :rolleyes:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1317083' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:28 PM']Actually I would guess that the vast majority of American Catholics are with you on this one.

What we see on PM is not a representative sampling of the U.S. Church.[/quote]
I doubt most American Catholics have ever assisted at the [i]Forma Extraordinaria[/i].

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Staretz' post='1317114' date='Jul 7 2007, 06:50 PM']Ive been to a triddy mass. Yes its a thing of beauty but it seemed like I was just a spectator kneeling and sitting at different times while the priest and the choir did their things. They are both part of the same tradition. I am glad that Pope Benedict made that crystal clear. To read some of the posters hereone would think that the Novus Ordo was some horrid imposition and that everything was perfect until the second vatican council! :rolleyes:[/quote]
Sounds like there was a lack of active participation. IMHO, Archbishop Fulton Sheens little book "[i]The Mass and Calvary[/i]" is a good way to increase one's appreciation of the [i]Forma Extraordinaria[/i]. The theological and spiritual richness of this Liturgy cannot be overstated. I've heard of people who say that Rosary is boring etc. but when one enters deeply into the mysteries of the Holy Rosary and interiorly communes with Christ through Our Lady it is a great spiritual joy. I think full participation in the [i]Forma Extraordinaria[/i] can be compared to this one some level (although it is a partial analogy).
One can "get something" out of the [i]Forma Ordinaria[/i] without a highly interiorized encounter with the essence of the Liturgy. I think that the [i]Forma Extraordinaria[/i] requires a somewhat more contemplative and ascetical spirit to be fully appreciated. These are both things that are very needed in the American Church these days so I hope that the wider use of this Liturgy will encourage such things.

philosophette
Posted

[quote name='Staretz' post='1317114' date='Jul 7 2007, 07:50 PM']Ive been to a triddy mass. Yes its a thing of beauty but it seemed like I was just a spectator kneeling and sitting at different times while the priest and the choir did their things. They are both part of the same tradition. I am glad that Pope Benedict made that crystal clear. To read some of the posters here one would think that the Novus Ordo was some horrid imposition and that everything was perfect until the second vatican council! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I agree completely. I mean, I am happy for those who feel the Trid Liturgy fits them, but it is not for me and when the Novus Ordo is put down as not as good it really irks me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...