An Old School Catholic Message Board

Heaven

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

often little kids talk about what ya do in heaven. i don't hear adults speculate like kids. adults usually talk about getting there and this and that, but don't really talk about it. i guess cauase no one really knows for sure.
but, what do you all think we do in heaven, and why do you think that?

One should always remember, that the chief joy or even essence of Heaven is the [i]Beatific Vision[/i]. "We will see Him as He is", that's quoted somewhere from the New Testament.
That is, a direct and intuitive ''vision'' of the Truine God. Not a physical vision (as i see with my eyes) but an intellectual vision or understanding, so to speak, of God. This direct vision (as opposed to our indirect knowledge of God we have now, where we only understand Him through understanding His Creation - which we directly perceive) constitutes the joy of Heaven. We can't speak of it too much, since we do not experience it, but we know by faith that it will render us completely blessed and joyful for all eternity.

While we will be able to perceive God directly, we will not be able to understand Him comprehensively, for being finite, the Infinite is beyond us.

Of course there are other glories, such as our ressurrected bodies, after the Judgement, and communion with others in Heaven.

I suppose it comes down to faith, God has said our reward will be great, incomparable to anything in this life, so we must trust His Word.

For more intense reading on the subject, this book seems good:

THE HAPPINESS OF HEAVEN by Fr J SJ Boudreau

Edited by Hirsap

heshmafluff

If you have ever read Randy Alcorn's novel "Deadline", he has an interesting perspective on heaven and hell in it. Good novel too, but that's beside the point.

AccountDeleted

Why would you want to DO anything? In Heaven we will be in the presence of Jesus, our Lord and our God, and simply being with Him, loving Him, glorifying Him and worshipping Him will fill us completely. I long to BE in Heaven, not to Do in Heaven, and to let my soul magnify the Lord! :pray:

Primarily, we will worship and give glory to God. This seems boring to most of our earthly mentalities, but the Heavenly experience is not something our minds can easily comprehend while on earth. There is much we do not know about Heaven.

Groo the Wanderer

I for one have a looooooooong list of questions to ask God while I bask in His Presence....I might spend a lot of eternity asking more and more :lol_roll:

some excerpts:
37. the platypus?
72. what REALLY happened to the dinosaurs?
101. why is the cosmos so darned big?
213. how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? (it aint 3)
286. if there is other life on other planets, did Jesus have to redeem them too, or did some of their Adam's and Eve's stay obedient?

kenrockthefirst

Sometimes I get an eensy-teensy wee taste of it during Mass, or even by seeing a beautiful sunset. At last, finally, we'll be able to worship God as He deserves, without distraction, without weakness, and literally be able to love Him with all our hearts, all our minds, all all souls, all our strength.

after the final judgement we will be able to experience all of creation perfected in its nature. the earth, the heavens (ie space, the universe)), and Heaven. everything will give glory to god by its existence, and our usage of it all will give glory to God.

sometimes people get so caught up in talk of the beatific vision, that it starts to sound like once we get to heaven we get this stoned blank stare on our face as we just look into the light forever and ever and ever. the beatific vision will be present to us in everything; we'll simulatneously see the fullness of the Triune God whilse seeing every spec and detail of flowers and trees and birds and sunshine and stars.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1320590' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:20 PM']after the final judgement we will be able to experience all of creation perfected in its nature. the earth, the heavens (ie space, the universe)), and Heaven. everything will give glory to god by its existence, and our usage of it all will give glory to God.

sometimes people get so caught up in talk of the beatific vision, that it starts to sound like once we get to heaven we get this stoned blank stare on our face as we just look into the light forever and ever and ever. the beatific vision will be present to us in everything; we'll simulatneously see the fullness of the Triune God whilse seeing every spec and detail of flowers and trees and birds and sunshine and stars.[/quote]
Absolutely, hence my comment about a beautiful sunset. "The heavens are telling the glory of God..."

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1320599' date='Jul 9 2007, 03:24 PM']"The heavens are telling the glory of God..."[/quote]

and alllll creation is shouting for joy!

i love that song.

Lord Philip

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1317984' date='Jul 7 2007, 11:07 PM']often little kids talk about what ya do in heaven. i don't hear adults speculate like kids. adults usually talk about getting there and this and that, but don't really talk about it. i guess cauase no one really knows for sure.
but, what do you all think we do in heaven, and why do you think that?[/quote]

I seriously recommend listening to Professor Peter Kreeft's lectures posted at the following link:

[url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio.htm"]http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio.htm[/url]

I am serious: I know how you feel, "I am sure this is interesting, but I am not all that interested in hearing lectures...I have so much other stuff to do." Really, kill that voice in your head. Listen to this guy: it is entertaining, funny, and he is simply an absolute master of Philosophy and Theology.

For this topic, listen to the lectures that have "heaven" in the title:

"Sex in Heaven"
"Heaven -- the heart's deepest longing"

There are others that are relevant to this topic as well:

"Divine Truth -- the heart's deepest longing"
"Christ's concept of happiness vs The World's"
"Aquinas and the Angels"
"Time and Eternity"
"The Cosmic Dance"
"The Good, True and Beautiful"

Man, going back here makes me want to listen to them again!

God bless,

Philip Wilson

Edited by Lord Philip

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1320664' date='Jul 9 2007, 03:13 PM']and alllll creation is shouting for joy!

i love that song.[/quote]

Love it except for the 'come dance in the forest and play in the fields' part - sounds like we are all stoned :hippie:

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

I DO know I ain't hanging with 72 Virginians.............or something like that...