Sojourner Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='alicemary' post='1323970' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:20 PM']I am making fresh quiches now...I know, real men don't eat quiche, but us woman sure like it. this time of year I make fresh tomato or asparagus quiches. Recipe on request for sure[/quote] recipes! recipes!
Sojourner Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 I love quiche ... I've been buying frozen mini quiches for breakfast but want to start making and freezing my own instead.
photosynthesis Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 by the way, how do you pronounce "bruschetta?" I used to pronounce it "bru-shetta" but my fiance's family always pronounces it "brus-ketta." Things I really like to cook: - pierogi - homemade pasta - risotto - shrimp - anything spicy - waffles - apple pie - crab cakes, crab chowder, crab anything (I miss living in Maryland where buying good crab didn't cost an arm and a leg) Unfortunately, all of these foods are really unhealthy. Things I want to learn how to make: - a decent cup of coffee - a variety of soups (minestrone, vichyssoise, chicken noodle, pasta e fagioli, lentil soup) - perfectly cooked vegetables - roasted turkey or chicken - homemade coagulated milk - good marinara sauce Eventually I want to write a cookbook that revolves around the liturgical year.
alicemary Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 Tomato Quiche 1 cup chopped onions 2 T butter 4 large tomatoes fresh out of the garden, peeled if you want and chopped 1 t salt 1/4 t pepper fresh basil leaves IF you have them, about 6 2 cups shredded monterey jack coagulated milk 1 unbaked pie pastry 4 eggs(may use eggbeaters!!) 1 and 1/2 cup light cream(may use part cream part milk or if watching calories/fat, I use all milk too) Saute onion in skillet in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper Cook over medium hi heat until liquid from tomatoes is almost evaporated, about 15 mins. Stir so doesn't stick. When done remove from heat Place uncooked pie crust in quiche pan(have a nice one, but you can use a pie plate if you don't have a quiche pan). Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded coagulated milk over the pie crust. Covere with tomatoe and spices. Sprinkle with rest of coagulated milk. In a mixing bowl beat eggs until foamy. Stir in cream and mix well. Pour over coagulated milk/tomatoes in pie shell Bake at 425 degrees(a hot oven) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325, bake 40-50 minutes or more. top will brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting if you can wait. Serves 6-8 servings. I like to put some fresh basil or fresh thyme in with the tomato mixture as I am cooking the tomatoes down. Also decorate the top with fresh basil leaves before baking. Sprinkle paprika on the quiche before baking makes it look nice. This is great. REally easy to make, and if you substitue low fat eggs/milk, still is wonderful. I have left out the pie crust when I forgot to buy one, and still comes out delicioius!!! Write if you have an questions.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='photosynthesis' post='1324048' date='Jul 11 2007, 01:38 AM']by the way, how do you pronounce "bruschetta?" I used to pronounce it "bru-shetta" but my fiance's family always pronounces it "brus-ketta." Things I really like to cook: - pierogi - homemade pasta - risotto - shrimp - anything spicy - waffles - apple pie - crab cakes, crab chowder, crab anything (I miss living in Maryland where buying good crab didn't cost an arm and a leg) Unfortunately, all of these foods are really unhealthy. Things I want to learn how to make: - a decent cup of coffee - a variety of soups (minestrone, vichyssoise, chicken noodle, pasta e fagioli, lentil soup) - perfectly cooked vegetables - roasted turkey or chicken - homemade coagulated milk - good marinara sauce Eventually I want to write a cookbook that revolves around the liturgical year.[/quote] Actually, the unhealthy comment isn't necessarily true! Some of it is, yes, as a lot of those things would "require" the use of refined flours which don't really impart many nutritional benefits (but if you used whole wheat flour and prepared it "properly" then it would be more healthful). Did you know that shrimp is one of the foods that carries with it huge amounts of vitamin D (which is a vitamin our bodies require, in its best forms, to function properly)? Salmon has even more vitamin D (along with several other vital vitamins) than shrimp. Crab is also very high in vitamin D. (Liver is a food that is recommended for all its healthy benefits, such as high vitamin D content, but shrimp has up to 8 times the amount of vit. D that liver does, and really, who wants to eat liver? Blech.) The key to making a great (and healthy) soup is the broth. If you can make a homemade stock (not all of us have the luxury or time) then you can make a lot of really delicious, extra-healthy, soups. The key is to make it, as one book I have calls it, "gelatin rich"--you use the bones from the meat you cook (like if you roast a chicken save the bones--freeze them if you don't have time to make the stock right away) and add enough water until they're just covered and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it go for a few hours. When its done and you chill it in the fridge it should look like jello that hasn't set fully. When its like that its a sign that its chuck full of vitamins and minerals from the bones and any meat and skin that was left on them. I do this when I have time, but if I don't I try to find organic (or the best quality I can find) canned broth. Bullion when I don't have either of those. I made a really awesome roast chicken the other day and made a stock from it... I should post the recipe for the chicken, it was different than the other one I shared in that thread. I have only ever made homemade cream coagulated milk (I put the recipe in the thread I linked earlier), but I have a sister in law who has started making her own cheeses. One of my favorite ways to cook veggies is by simply steaming them, tossing on some butter, salt and pepper, and depending on the vegetable sometimes another complimentary herb. But, I don't make coffee so I'm no help there. lol
photosynthesis Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1324082' date='Jul 11 2007, 02:08 AM']Actually, the unhealthy comment isn't necessarily true! Some of it is, yes, as a lot of those things would "require" the use of refined flours which don't really impart many nutritional benefits (but if you used whole wheat flour and prepared it "properly" then it would be more healthful). Did you know that shrimp is one of the foods that carries with it huge amounts of vitamin D (which is a vitamin our bodies require, in its best forms, to function properly)? Salmon has even more vitamin D (along with several other vital vitamins) than shrimp. Crab is also very high in vitamin D. (Liver is a food that is recommended for all its healthy benefits, such as high vitamin D content, but shrimp has up to 8 times the amount of vit. D that liver does, and really, who wants to eat liver? Blech.) The key to making a great (and healthy) soup is the broth. If you can make a homemade stock (not all of us have the luxury or time) then you can make a lot of really delicious, extra-healthy, soups. The key is to make it, as one book I have calls it, "gelatin rich"--you use the bones from the meat you cook (like if you roast a chicken save the bones--freeze them if you don't have time to make the stock right away) and add enough water until they're just covered and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it go for a few hours. When its done and you chill it in the fridge it should look like jello that hasn't set fully. When its like that its a sign that its chuck full of vitamins and minerals from the bones and any meat and skin that was left on them. I do this when I have time, but if I don't I try to find organic (or the best quality I can find) canned broth. Bullion when I don't have either of those. I made a really awesome roast chicken the other day and made a stock from it... I should post the recipe for the chicken, it was different than the other one I shared in that thread. I have only ever made homemade cream coagulated milk (I put the recipe in the thread I linked earlier), but I have a sister in law who has started making her own cheeses. One of my favorite ways to cook veggies is by simply steaming them, tossing on some butter, salt and pepper, and depending on the vegetable sometimes another complimentary herb. But, I don't make coffee so I'm no help there. lol[/quote] wow! thanks for all the advice! I can't wait until I'm a stay-at-home mom and I'll have the time to cook lots of things that require a lot of time, like roasting a chicken, making stock, etc.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 LOL Its great being a stay at home mom! I don't always have loads of time to do the fancy cooking I'd like, but thats why the freezer is so handy! If I don't have the time to make my stock right away, in the freezer the bones go until I do. And if you make enough stock you can freeze that, too, and have some on hand for later instead of trying to make it when you need it.
StColette Posted July 11, 2007 Author Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='scardella' post='1324158' date='Jul 11 2007, 08:36 AM']I like to boil old boots.[/quote] lol a Louisiana specialty lol
cmotherofpirl Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 NOT fair people!!! if you are going to post what your favorite is or what you are good at etc, kindly POST the recipe for the stuff in the recipe thread.
IcePrincessKRS Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1324082' date='Jul 11 2007, 02:08 AM']Actually, the unhealthy comment isn't necessarily true! Some of it is, yes, as a lot of those things would "require" the use of refined flours which don't really impart many nutritional benefits (but if you used whole wheat flour and prepared it "properly" then it would be more healthful).[/quote] Just a side note on my "refined flours" comment, I DO actually use refined flour a lot, I just try to make sure that the other food I prepare is as healthy as possible to make up for any less-good food choices I make. (Fresh vegetables, fruit, healthy oils, lots of meats and protien, etc.) If I bake cookies we have something like steak (with potatoes, corn, and a huuuge salad full of veggies, coagulated milk, and hard boiled egg) for dinner. lol And by "properly prepared" whole wheat flour I meant using the traditional method of soaking the flour overnight (or about 7 hours at least) before baking with it (it helps to break down the phytic acid which can block calcium absorption, which can lead to osteoporosis--which is a big deal to me because my midwife told me when I was pregnant with my first baby that because of my smaller frame my body needs lots of calcium because women of my build are more prone to osteoporosis. Which may not seem like something a 26 year old should worry about overmuch, but I rarely drink milk (I really don't like the taste). My mother in law was the one who introduced me to this concept of using traditionally prepared whole grains (I often use half white [unbleached] flour and half whole grain), she has been using whole grains for over a decade and it was only recently that she discovered this method. The real kicker is that she is of a similar build to me and has osteoporosis. I'd rather take the advice NOW and avoid having to learn from experience.
scardella Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1324222' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:19 AM']NOT fair people!!! if you are going to post what your favorite is or what you are good at etc, kindly POST the recipe for the stuff in the recipe thread. [/quote] Fine! Ingredients 1 Large pot of water 1 Old boot. Directions Bring water to a rolling boil. Drop boot in. (washing the boot beforehand is not really necessary. The boiling water will kill off any microbes.) Season to taste. Pull boot out. Let dry.
curtins Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 I like to grill whatever I happen to have shot that day in my backyard
Totus Tuus Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1323708' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:41 PM']I have not yet met something I don't like to cook. Lately I figured out some great guacamole, homemade. That's pretty fun.[/quote] Same here. But I don't like cooking peppers and accidentally rubbing my eyes... Edited July 11, 2007 by Totus Tuus
Old_Joe Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1324448' date='Jul 11 2007, 01:47 PM']Same here. But I don't like cooking peppers and accidentally rubbing my eyes... [/quote] That happened to my dad once I forgot to mention that I like to make various kinds of cheesecake.
Old_Joe Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='Raphael' post='1324024' date='Jul 11 2007, 12:32 AM'] I make wonderful meals for you!!![/quote] make sure you have a working oven.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted July 11, 2007 Posted July 11, 2007 [quote name='photosynthesis' post='1324048' date='Jul 11 2007, 12:38 AM']by the way, how do you pronounce "bruschetta?" I used to pronounce it "bru-shetta" but my fiance's family always pronounces it "brus-ketta."[/quote] Your fiance's Italian pronunciation is correct, but virtually everyone here in the US says bru-shetta.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now