Laudate_Dominum Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Behind the scenes: [img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l3.jpg[/img] [img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l8.jpg[/img]
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 The chant was particularly lovely yesterday too. [img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l13.jpg[/img]
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 I received Holy Communion from the Monsignor (but I'm not in this pic, just a bunch of nostalgic old fogies): [img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l150.jpg[/img] Domine non sum dignus!
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Here is an interview with the Monsignor, but it should be noted that he has an awesome sounding accent. [quote]Q. During your presentation at the Una Voce conference in Providence, R.I., in November 2005, you said that the culture in the United States was still quite traditional, markedly different from that in Europe. Would you elaborate? Msgr. Schmitz: When a foreigner from Europe comes to the United States, he will be astonished to see immediately, at least in the Midwest, and also in some other parts of the country, I'm sure, how many values have been preserved that have been lost in Europe for a long time. On a cultural level, that is a positive statement. And also on the level of Christian culture and lifestyle, America has much to give to Europe. You see it in many family gatherings. You see it at events that are catered by the Church. There is still a lot of good Catholic formality in society in the Midwest of America, but also in other parts. I see that the clergy are treated with respect, even in spite of what has happened recently. People still have a sense of the role of the clergy and expect the clergy to fulfill that role. With the bishops, many people today sometimes have an aggressive attitude. But still, the bishops are treated with great respect. They also show in their public appearances, most of the time, they are representatives of Christ. In my experience, that is not so clearly visible in the parts of Europe that used to be traditionally Catholic. Q. So from the perspective of the average European, be he from Germany or France, this is not the case any more? Msgr. Schmitz: No. This may seem strange for you [Americans] to hear. We [Europeans] have grown up surrounded by monuments of culture and Christian presence. If you come to the formerly Catholic countries like France and others, you are every day confronted with the Church, and her past. But people [Europeans] live without it, and they do not appreciate it. And even on a public level, this Christian background is even denied [Editor's Note: The European Union refused to acknowledge any role of Christianity in forming Europe]. I do not find that in the United States. Of course, one can find that if one looks for it. But, my more general feeling is that these [traditional] values are still respected. I believe that it is again, positively intended, the Church in the U.S. is in a situation where the Church in Europe was 40 years ago. I see that many faithful, many priests, and many bishops, understand that. And they are still able in this moment to steer the route of the ship of the Church in a direction where all of these values will be kept. In Europe, we have to recuperate them. In America, we can still strengthen them because they are still there. Q. Do the Pope, the Roman Curia, and those in the halls of the Vatican understand this phenomena as you are describing it? Msgr. Schmitz: Those who know the United States, and especially the Holy Father, and his immediate surrounding [curial members], still appreciate the values America has to offer. And they are very well aware of the fact that Europe is formerly Catholic — not actually Christian [anymore]. Q. In a Latin Mass Magazine interview in 2004, Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos said that the Vatican was working on a "juridical guarantee" for the traditional Catholic faithful. In light of recent developments and reports, what do you think Pope Benedict XVI and Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos might have in store for the Catholic lay faithful attached to the Latin liturgical tradition and the fullness of ecclesiastical Tradition? Msgr. Schmitz: I simply have to say that I am not a prophet. There has been so much speculation and so many questions about what we should do — about what the Holy Father should do — about what the cardinals should do. I simply have to say that I leave it to the good Lord. I am certain it would not be good for the Traditional Roman rite to be in any kind of a ghetto. We are part of the universal Church, and if it would be possible for the bishops simply to grant generously the permission to celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass where it is wished and where it is needed, then I believe that all of the problems would very much decrease. Whether it is prudent or not to do anything else, and to create any special entities [Editor's Note: I.e., the rumored apostolic administrations or ordinariates, similar to the military chaplaincies] or make some special canonical provisions, I have to say that I leave it to the wisdom of the Holy Father who can judge the needs of the Church much better than I can from my limited perspective. Q. What advice would you give to the lay faithful who are hoping for some measure of relief from the Vatican? Msgr. Schmitz: First, I would encourage them from my whole heart to pray — to pray for the Holy Father and for the involved cardinals that they find the right decision. But also, I would suggest they be very respectful in asking their bishops to fulfill their spiritual needs. The number of people who desire the Traditional Latin Mass is growing in all age groups, but especially among the youth. I am sure the bishops will be very willing to fulfill this wish because the Mass that has been celebrated for nearly 2,000 years in the Church is not dangerous. It is, on the contrary, a great gift for those who want to assist at it. I am sure all of the bishops want to foster the spiritual life of the laity. They use so many means for that, and I would very much recommend to the laity to ask their bishops to also allow the traditional instrument for deep spirituality, which is the Mass that Pope St. Pius X, Blessed John XXIII, and all the fathers of the Second Vatican Council celebrated. Q. Msgr. Schmitz, you were ordained by then Cardinal Ratzinger in 1982. What was your personal reaction to having your spiritual father raised to the Chair of Peter? Msgr. Schmitz: I was certainly full of joy when I heard of the election of the Holy Father. It is a very special feeling you have when the bishop who ordained you is suddenly elevated to the See of Peter. I had the chance during my studies in Rome to sometimes meet with the Holy Father. And just a few weeks before his election, he received the prior general [Msgr. Wach] of the Institute of Christ the King and me in a very kind and warm private audience. So I was especially intrigued hearing he was elected and had accepted to become the Successor of Peter. I also have personal links to some people in his surroundings. I know well how much the Holy Father thinks for the Catholic Church and how deeply also in his speeches and in his whole personality, he is profoundly Catholic in the sense I just explained. This has certainly given me deep satisfaction as a priest.[/quote]
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 There is indeed a picture in the collection that includes me, but it is only my foot. Yes, I am absolutely sure that it is my foot. lol
homeschoolmom Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 But you didn't post the awkward one of your wife!
brendan1104 Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 I was honored to meet and hear Monsignor when he came to Buffalo, truly a wonderful priest!
Luthien Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1330555' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:19 AM']But you didn't post the awkward one of your wife! [/quote] [img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l15.jpg[/img] Thats me in the doorway. It was awkward.
Resurrexi Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 (edited) I love Fisheaters. Great site, especially the "Being Catholic" section. I think the forum's pretty good, and I used to post there, but I no longer do because those under 18 are not allowed. Edited July 16, 2007 by StThomasMore
philosophette Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Did I detect a hint of blue in the priest's vestment??? Esp post #15... what is the blue for and where can get get some more? I think the blue looks awesome.
Aloysius Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 yeah, I'll tell you what, I wholly and without reservation suggest the "Being Catholic" section of the site. The only material that some might find questionable is on the "For Catholics" section or on the forum. I am so mad I couldn't make it to St. Boniface this sunday for that. If I had remembered that was going to be this sunday, I would have so made sure to be there.
petetheseminarian Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Aloysius, What does the blue mozetta represent? I've never seen that before.
Maggyie Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Gorgeous pictures! What a great First Mass! Well every Mass is great because of Who's there, but...
Aloysius Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 I think it's technically white ornamented with blue representative of Mary. Blue is not a liturgical color, but has been allowed in Mexico I believe for feasts related to Mary, but not here... I don't know whether it was ever a liturgical color back in the day, but I imagine that it wasn't; so I'd have to say that's a white vestment and the blue he is wearing is an ornament over it symbolic of Mary. like how a vestment could be ornamented with flowers or whatever, it's ornamented with blue. though I must say, that's clearly a solid blue thing he's wearing, only the lace underneath is white... so I am really not sure.
Resurrexi Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 In the East and in the Sarum Use blue is a liturgical color, but not in the Ordinary or Extraordinary Roman Rite.
brendan1104 Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 Blue has been permitted in Hispanic countries, Spain especially comes to mind. Also, that's the Institute's choir dress/habit. It includes blue, yes in honor of the Blessed Mother.
petetheseminarian Posted July 16, 2007 Posted July 16, 2007 [quote name='brendan1104' post='1331101' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:06 PM']Blue has been permitted in Hispanic countries, Spain especially comes to mind. Also, that's the Institute's choir dress/habit. It includes blue, yes in honor of the Blessed Mother.[/quote] What Institute does he belong to?
petetheseminarian Posted July 17, 2007 Posted July 17, 2007 [quote name='petetheseminarian' post='1331326' date='Jul 16 2007, 08:49 PM']What Institute does he belong to?[/quote] Nevermind. Did a little digging and stumbled upon the Institute of Christ the King's website.
EJames Posted July 17, 2007 Posted July 17, 2007 (edited) fisheaters is a good site, i so no reason why one cant link to it? whats there to be afraid of? one CAN question the outcome of the Second Vatican Council, even the motives, and still be totally Faithful. its all soooo organic...ya know? as a bit of a thought for example, The Vatican has allowed by mandate ,the new,'Institute of the Good Shepherd' in Bordeaux, France,under Jean-Pierre Cardinal Ricard,(founded by a former Society of St Pius X Bishop and leader)an institute that exclusively use 1962 Missal (the "ancient Liturgy of Rome, syays the document), and usages as their proper(not as a concession) Rite under the Commission pontificale Ecclesia Dei,meaning never has to celebrate a Novus Ordo Mass,(unlike the FSSP turmoil) while agreeing it is a valid mass-anyways, they are [u]mandated[/u] to critque! the Council and its documents, in healthy [u]questioning[/u], study and debate, book publishing..... Edited July 17, 2007 by EJames
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 17, 2007 Posted July 17, 2007 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1330529' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:21 AM'][img]http://pittsburghlatinmass.org/sblm/TalaricoFirstMass/mediafiles/l147.jpg[/img][/quote] I love the St. Benedict medals on the gates to the sanctuary.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now