An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Virgins

sweetpea316

SaviorsChild

[quote name='Rising_Suns' post='1598684' date='Jul 12 2008, 08:32 PM']SaviorsChild,
Ave Maria.

Thank you for the information in this thread. It sounds like you have been preparing for this for many years, and it is truly your heart's desire. I don't mean to go too far off-topic, but may I ask, what compelled you to choose to be a consecrated virgin (living in the world) rather than consecrated under a rule of life in a community? If you are not comfortable answering this question, I understand (it is none of my business).

Blessings.[/quote]

Hello again... ;)

Of course I can answer this question!
Well, it was not MY choice - if it had been [u]my[/u] decision, I would have entered a cloistered convent - but it was HIS will, not mine. HE just showed me that the life as a consecrated virgin is what he planned for me. And I could not resist HIM and HIS decision - because HE was stronger...

You know, I have been going to daily mass for almost 15 years now - I pray the full LOTH and rosary every day - and it was my bridegroom, who made this possible - and HE guided me to this spiritual way of life.
And whenever I may receive holy communion, whenever I open my breviary, I just have the confidence that this is HIS will: to live my life as HIS bride - as a consecrated virgin in the world...

Somebody might ask: How can you be sure that this is Gods will?
I can only answer: I´m as sure as I could ever be...
:) Blessings! :)

Edited by SaviorsChild

Rising_Suns

[quote name='SaviorsChild' post='1598691' date='Jul 12 2008, 03:47 PM']Somebody might ask: How can you be sure that this is Gods will?
I can only answer: I´m as sure as I could ever be...
:) Blessings! :)[/quote]

I do not think it can be said more succintly than that. As Sister Amelia Hueller said, "A woman knows when she is in love." There is nothing surer than the love of the Beloved.

Thank you for your response.

Blessings.

[quote name='SaviorsChild' post='1331990' date='Jul 17 2007, 11:01 AM']:blowkiss: A good help is the Q&A-Site here:
[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/q-a/qa.html"]http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/q-a/qa.html[/url]

If you have special questions, please feel free to write a PM - my consecration is planned for summer 2008 (according to my age (I was too young when I started the time of discernment, just 18 ;) ) I´ve been preparing to receive the consecration for quite a long time - 9 years now... ;) ). But the CoV resembles the solemn profession - and you don´t make solemn profession after the first year at convent...

:topsy:

(Sorry about my English - I´m from Germany... ;) :rolleyes: )[/quote]

Herzlichen Glückwunsch !

Lilllabettt

Isn't it wonderful that this ancient form of Consecration has been restored?

There's a great blog by a future Consecrated Virgin: [url="http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/"]Sponsa Christi[/url]

She actually goes into the issue of Consecrated Virgins wearing special clothing. Its very interesting. The post is [url="http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-confusion.html"]here[/url] . Apparently its okay to wear a veil and even use the title "Sister," its just up to the bishop who does the consecration to grant permission.

SaviorsChild

[quote name='Fr. Bruno' post='1598737' date='Jul 12 2008, 09:45 PM']Herzlichen Glückwunsch ![/quote]
Danke - ich warte schon lange sehnsüchtig, auch wenn die Weihe nicht das Ziel, sondern die "Mitte" des Lebens ist, aber es ist halt schon ein großes Ereignis für mich...

Thank you - I´v been longing for it for quite a long time. Although I know that the actual consecration is not some kind of a "goal", but "center" of life, it is a great thing for myself...
:)

Edited by SaviorsChild

Rising_Suns

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1598738' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:46 PM']Isn't it wonderful that this ancient form of Consecration has been restored?

There's a great blog by a future Consecrated Virgin: [url="http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/"]Sponsa Christi[/url]

She actually goes into the issue of Consecrated Virgins wearing special clothing. Its very interesting. The post is [url="http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-confusion.html"]here[/url] . Apparently its okay to wear a veil and even use the title "Sister," its just up to the bishop who does the consecration to grant permission.[/quote]

Thank you for the link. I found the blog quite informative. In terms of wearing special clothing, it seems to make perfect sense that a consecrated virgin should do so, if she is called to be a light of Christ in the world. The same might be said of 3rd order Franciscans and Oblates.

I also found it interesting that a consecrated virgin can house the Blessed Sacrament in her home, and if so, is expected to have Mass said there periodically. What a great honor, and profound responsibility.

Blessings.

[quote name='SaviorsChild' post='1599939' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:37 AM']Please pray for me - only 11 (eleven!!!!!) days to wait!!! :shock: :))[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
May God bless you continually on this journey! :sign: May Mother Mary continually guide you to Her Son. :sign:

+Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

Before I say anything that might be read as critical, let me congratulate all on this site and thread who are considering this life, who are in it, or who are preparing for it. May God bless you, protect you and keep you ever safe.

This subject has been discussed on other forums as well as this one. I often find myself amazed and saddened, too, when I see such focus on the physical aspects of this calling. I find it very demeaning and distressing to come across such interest in one's physical state. Holy Mother Church, over and over again, has revealed Herself to be place of sanctuary and safety. I know for certain that had a young woman who had not yet fully converted (and my dear ones, this takes a long time) had made a mistake (and yes, it would have been a mistake for someone would only do certain things out of pain, error, misunderstanding, etc.) and then had been fully and completed educated, or had fully repented, received Absolution, finished penance, she would be considered no more tattered, ruined or "less-than" someone else who had never been in that original circumstance to begin with.

I personally know women whom have received this Rite and were not physically intact (to be blunt) in the manner in which has been discussed. However, their calling came after the event, so to speak, and they were properly formed and educated to their calling and place in life. And today, they proudly reign and speak of their role, and they live their vocation fully.

None of us are in the position to tell another one what is possible or impossible, for in God's Hands and Eyes, all is possible. In Faith, all is possible, and the Holy Spirit does not whisper an invitation to someone without knowing if it is possible. When I read posts such as the ones that were bandied about above; with hard and fast rules, I can't help but think of the one that turns away...sad. Much of what had been discussed and presented as fact/truth/black and white rules are in fact between a woman and her confessor, and then, her Bishop.

I am sure of this, because as I said, I have seen this hurdle jumped. Personally. As for married women, who publicly received the Sacrament of Marriage, they are eligible for the Consecration of Widows, should they find themselves in this situation after the loss of their husbands, and an entirely different story. I speak today only of women never married.

Our Lord's Heart is a Heart of Mercy. Always.

Rising_Suns

Dear TradMom,
Out of curiosity, can you provide Church documents supporting your position rather than personal experience?

Blessings.

Edited by Rising_Suns

+Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

As I pointed out, this is truly a matter between a woman and her Bishop.

I am not a Canon Lawyer, and the women that I know who are Consecrated Virgins are in a position to speak of their journey, should you find yourself in a similiar situation and need advice. If so, please PM me privately and I will give you their information.

However, I can direct you to the following from this website:

[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html"]http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html[/url]

The question is asked "who can be consecrated," and the answer given:

Who can be consecrated?

A woman living in the world who has never married or lived in open violation of chastity, and who by age, prudence, and good character is deemed suitable for dedicating herself to a life of chastity in the service of the Church and of her neighbor may petition her bishop to receive the Consecration. She must be admitted to this Consecration by her local Bishop; it is he who determines the conditions under which the candidate is to undertake a life of perpetual virginity lived in the world. Usually, a woman who aspires to the Consecration works with a spiritual director and has lived a private promise of perpetual virginity for some years before seeking the Consecration of a Virgin.

Note the beginning sentence..."lived in open violation of chastity" is very different than one who has privately erred. Note also that it is "he" (the Bishop) who determines the conditions...

This website is very good and should be a good resource for you as you discern your Vocation.

God bless you.

TradMom

SaviorsChild

[quote name='TradMom' post='1600184' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:23 AM']+Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

As I pointed out, this is truly a matter between a woman and her Bishop.

I am not a Canon Lawyer, and the women that I know who are Consecrated Virgins are in a position to speak of their journey, should you find yourself in a similiar situation and need advice. If so, please PM me privately and I will give you their information.

However, I can direct you to the following from this website:

[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html"]http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/cv/whatcv.html[/url]

The question is asked "who can be consecrated," and the answer given:

Who can be consecrated?

A woman living in the world who has never married or lived in open violation of chastity, and who by age, prudence, and good character is deemed suitable for dedicating herself to a life of chastity in the service of the Church and of her neighbor may petition her bishop to receive the Consecration. She must be admitted to this Consecration by her local Bishop; it is he who determines the conditions under which the candidate is to undertake a life of perpetual virginity lived in the world. Usually, a woman who aspires to the Consecration works with a spiritual director and has lived a private promise of perpetual virginity for some years before seeking the Consecration of a Virgin.

Note the beginning sentence..."lived in open violation of chastity" is very different than one who has privately erred. Note also that it is "he" (the Bishop) who determines the conditions...

This website is very good and should be a good resource for you as you discern your Vocation.

God bless you.

TradMom[/quote]

Then olease read further:
[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/q-a/qa-d.html"]http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/q-a/qa-d.html[/url]

[quote]Is physical virginity necessary in order to receive the Consecration of a Virgin?
Yes. Can someone offer to God what she does not have?[/quote]
That is the point.

When the consecrations had their gathering in Rome just about two months ago,
it was made definately clear that a consecration administered to a woman who is not a "virgin" in the sense discussed above is not valid.

Well, you don´t BECOME a virgin at the time you are consecrated, you ARE a virgin -

There are so many different ways to God - but this special door closes when you don´t have the necessary conditions...
But another door will open - because God will show you another way! :)

Rising_Suns

TradMom,
As far as I know, there is no historical precedent to your position. Have not all consecrated virgins in the history of the Church been physical virgins? It seems to me that just because a bishop has consecrated a non-virgin to the order of virgins within the past 40 years, does not necessarily make it a licit act, if the action is in conflict with the tradition of the Church.

I might similarly ask, if the term "virgin" does not mean virgin in a physical sense, then would not the Church choose more accurate terminology? (such as "celibates") The Church is very precise in her choice of words, is she not?

[indent][b]CATECHISM 923 [/b]
"[b]Virgins[/b] who, committed to the holy plan of following Christ more closely, are consecrated to God by the diocesan bishop according to the approved liturgical rite, are betrothed mystically to Christ, the Son of God, and are dedicated to the service of the Church." 464 By this solemn rite (Consecratio virginum), [b]the virgin [/b]is "constituted . . . a sacred person, a transcendent sign of the Church's love for Christ, and an eschatological image of this heavenly Bride of Christ and of the life to come." [/indent]

[quote name='TradMom' post='1600122' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:06 PM']I often find myself amazed and saddened, too, when I see such focus on the physical aspects of this calling. I find it very demeaning and distressing to come across such interest in one's physical state.[/quote]

If I may point out; the Catholic Church places a strong emphasis on the physical, in addition to the spiritual. This should not be demeaning or distressing. Without bread, there would be no Eucharist. Without water, there would be no Baptism. Similarly, it can be said that without physical virginity, there cannot be consecrated virginity.

Perhaps what you speak of is a "spiritual virginity" of sorts, in which a person can lead such a chaste life so as to become a virgin once again. In this sense, I do agree with you completely. However, one must make a distinction between this state of virginity, and the state required by church law to consecration.

[quote name='TradMom' post='1600122' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:06 PM']a young woman who .. had made a mistake ... she would be considered no more tattered, ruined or "less-than" someone else who had never been in that original circumstance to begin with.[/quote]

If I may note one last thing; the rules imposed by the Church are not meant to demean a person; it does not make a person "less-than" another. Rather, they exist because they reflect a reality. The fact that women cannot become priests does not lessen their dignity. The fact that priests cannot marry does not lessen their dignity. Similarly, the fact that non-virgins cannot be consecrated (at least not licitly, from what I understand) to the order of consecrated virgins does not lessen their dignity either.

Blessings.

Edited by Rising_Suns