petetheseminarian Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I just want to get a feel for what people think of tattoos in general. I know some people with them, including a priest, and just I'm just wondering what the broader populous thinks. Me, I like them, provided that the content is non offensive. My brothers and I have tattoos of our Scottish family crest. I think things like that are fine because I will always be apart of the same family, just like I think that getting a religious tattoo is fine (And I might get one of those, something like a Chi-Rho maybe).
123 Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I don't think the Church would excommunicate you for having one, but they aren't going to walk you to the nearest tat shop by the hand. It's all based on free will and as an acting agent of Christ on earth, The Church, cannot infringe on your free will. As for medical reprocutions I have heard a few for boths sides, I guess that's per individual speculation.
Ash Wednesday Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I don't have a tattoo myself, but there are a few people on here that have them. I don't have a problem with them so long as the content isn't offensive and you aren't tattooing and piercing yourself so much to the point that you're basically mutilating yourself.
T-Bone _ Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I've decided that I'm eventually going to get one of the Miraculous Medal, either on my calf or on my shoulder.
homeschoolmom Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 Just don't get Ecsher's hands drawing each other... I know someone with that and it looks really blurry...
curtins Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1336453' date='Jul 21 2007, 12:04 PM']Just don't get Ecsher's hands drawing each other... I know someone with that and it looks really blurry...[/quote] I love Ecsher and thats such a cool picture Tatts are awesome.
T-Bone _ Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1336453' date='Jul 21 2007, 09:04 AM']Just don't get Ecsher's hands drawing each other... I know someone with that and it looks really blurry...[/quote] Think this will turn out fine: [img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.lipson/escher/relativity.jpg[/img][size=6][b] ?[/b][/size]
saint_wannabe Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 here ya go. [quote]DR. LINDA HELPS Teens and Tattoos By Linda S. Mintle, Ph.D. Ask Dr. Linda: What if our teen wants a tattoo? How do we handle this as Christian parents? Dr Linda Helps -- Question: We are Christian parents. Our teenage daughter wants to get a tattoo. We don't want her to permanently mark her body and she says a tattoo is just art. Do we have any scriptural grounds for handling this? Dr. Linda: The verse Christian parents quote to their children concerning tattoos is Leviticus 19:28, "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord" (NKJV). In the Old Testament, God gave His people a command not to tattoo their bodies. But in the New Testament, Jesus made this command, as well as other issues of the law, a matter of the heart. He told us that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and we are to glorify God in our temples. The question then becomes; does a tattoo glorify God? As Paul says, "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable" (1 Cor. 6:12, NASB). If your teen is interested in pleasing God, ask her to pray and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to her. As a parent, don't get critical and stuck in legalism. Some kids will say they want a Christian tattoo as a witnessing tool. For those who have come out of a life of sin and are radically saved, a Christian tattoo such as "Blood Bought" is a counter message to their previous life of sin. The tattoo is a positive statement about the radical surrender to Jesus, which includes living a holy life. You can hardly condemn that. Over time, the Holy Spirit will teach them how to please God in all areas of life. To answer the point about tattoo as art, help your teen think through this. If tattoo is art, then your body must be the canvas. To paint on the body canvas, you must own it. The truth is, our bodies are not our own. They have been bought with a price -- the blood of Jesus (1 Cor. 6:19-20). So a saved person would have to find scripture supporting her permanently painting on God's canvas. I don't believe there are any. Obviously these laws of God can't be applied to those with lawless hearts. Therefore, to criticize those who are unsaved and tattoo is foolish. But Christian kids need to consider their motivation for wanting a tattoo. If their motivation is to conform to the world, then it's wrong to do. For those who are radically saved and new in Christ, the motivation may be to witness to those who are lost. The bottom line is they have to judge their heart against the Word. God knows your teen's heart and motive, so encourage her to be honest. Don't alienate your teen on this issue. Tell her your love is unconditional no matter how she looks. But also teach your teen the Word and encourage her to seek to please God in all she does, especially when that something is permanent. Dr. Mintle -- author, professor, Approved Supervisor and Clinical member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy -- is a speaker and media personality, as well as a licensed clinical social worker with over twenty years in psychotherapy practice. For more articles by Dr. Linda Mintle visit [url="http://www.cbn.com/redir/drlinda.asp"]http://www.cbn.com/redir/drlinda.asp[/url].[/quote]
doe-jo Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 i want to get one but my parents wont really like them.. so im not going to..
Cow of Shame Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I think getting inked for Jesus is a bit weird BFF baby Jesus!!
saint_wannabe Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1336537' date='Jul 21 2007, 12:04 PM']I don't think "Dr. Linda" is a Catholic.[/quote] but i got it off a catholic site
Noel's angel Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 (edited) If other people want to get a tattoo, fair enough. It's just not my cup of tea. I appreciate tattoos and the great skill that it takes to do them well, but I like to keep my skin the way God made it Edited July 21, 2007 by Noel's angel
hoosieranna Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I want to get one when I get out of grad school. I might get a few others if that one isn't too bad. Each design I have in mind means something to me. My parents are of mixed opinions.
be_thou_my_vision Posted July 21, 2007 Posted July 21, 2007 I got "totus tuus" inked on me... it's in a hidden place (nothing weird, mind you and I absolutely LOVE it!
knightec Posted July 27, 2007 Posted July 27, 2007 I got a tattoo Christmas '06. It is a cross I drew when I was going through RCIA. Its a daily reminder to me that I should try to live my life as Christ lived his. This is it to the left <--------
Lil Red Posted July 27, 2007 Posted July 27, 2007 i have 4 tattoos. my favorite is the one on my back of the sacred heart and immaculate heart, with my uncle's name over the top, and my brother's name underneath. it is a memorial to them, they are both deceased. it's the only one my parents approve of.
dUSt Posted July 27, 2007 Posted July 27, 2007 If you get a tattoo you are going to hell. Already got one? Oh well. Sorry. I guess I won't be seeing you when I'm in heaven.
tvu_srfan Posted July 28, 2007 Posted July 28, 2007 Recently I witnessed this discussion with a bunch of youth and a Priest; and the question of tattooing and body piercing came up. How he put it was that tattooing and body piercing used to be part of a pagan culture, and to go along with it would be bringing that aspect of the pagan culture back. I'm not very good at explaining certain things, but for me personally tattooing is unnecessary. I really don't mean to attack anyone on here though, just sharing my thoughts.
Cow of Shame Posted July 28, 2007 Posted July 28, 2007 [quote name='tvu_srfan' post='1342729' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:04 AM']How he put it was that tattooing and body piercing used to be part of a pagan culture, and to go along with it would be bringing that aspect of the pagan culture back.[/quote] I've always been under the impression that the Catholic church has, in the past, incorporated some pagan beliefs into the Christian "mythos" to assist locals to accept Christianity more quickly. Mexico would likely be the best example of this.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now