God Conquers Posted July 28, 2007 Posted July 28, 2007 That's a terrible argument. If tatooing is bringing back pagan culture we'd better start a campaign against christmas trees and ice cream yule logs cause they're from the same place. Sign your name below for the petition to the Vatican.
tvu_srfan Posted July 28, 2007 Posted July 28, 2007 [quote name='God Conquers' post='1342939' date='Jul 28 2007, 05:31 AM']That's a terrible argument. If tatooing is bringing back pagan culture we'd better start a campaign against christmas trees and ice cream yule logs cause they're from the same place. Sign your name below for the petition to the Vatican.[/quote] Yeah, you do have a point though. I guess the thought of putting some foreign ink into my body almost permanently, just doesn't appeal to me. Even if it was for religious reasons.
Catholic_DogLover Posted July 28, 2007 Posted July 28, 2007 I don't mind people having them as long as they're not offensive and they aren't like all over their body. I'm not going to lie, it does bother me when I see someone who has tatoos all over their arms and you can't see any of their 'normal' skin. I don't think I'd get a tatoo... I'm not a big risk taker and the thought of it being permanent is a little scary...If I did get one, it would be in a place where you couldn't see it and it would be something religious like a small cross or something.
cmotherofpirl Posted July 29, 2007 Posted July 29, 2007 My kids are planning on getting the family coat of arms on their shoulders.
missionarybelle Posted July 30, 2007 Posted July 30, 2007 I don't like them for myself, but I don't mind if other people have them.
Groo the Wanderer Posted July 30, 2007 Posted July 30, 2007 [quote name='knightec' post='1342350' date='Jul 27 2007, 06:04 PM']I got a tattoo Christmas '06. It is a cross I drew when I was going through RCIA. Its a daily reminder to me that I should try to live my life as Christ lived his. This is it to the left <--------[/quote] I know you! Seen the tat too. Very bold statement
knightec Posted July 30, 2007 Posted July 30, 2007 I'm trying to talk Nik into letting me get another one on my right arm. The Virgin Mary, another cross, or something that represents all of the kids.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 31, 2007 Posted July 31, 2007 I have one. It isn't religious, but I don't see a problem with it. I did get it pre-reversion, but it's just a moon and stars, and it's on my lower back where it's normally well covered. I do want at least two more. One I will probably get soon, and the other one that I have in mind would be after I get married (if I do).
T-Bone _ Posted July 31, 2007 Posted July 31, 2007 [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1345318' date='Jul 31 2007, 10:33 AM']I have one. It isn't religious, but I don't see a problem with it. I did get it pre-reversion, but it's just a moon and stars, and it's on my lower back where it's normally well covered. I do want at least two more. One I will probably get soon, and the other one that I have in mind would be after I get married (if I do).[/quote] If you get married, you should totally get each other's names tattooed around your ring finger. That way, if you have to take off your wedding ring for some reason, you're still "wearing" one.
iggyjoan Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 I don't mind them.. I've actually thought of getting one before, 'cept I couldn't think what of or where. I like to look at them. I sometimes creep people out in the grocery store by staring at their tattoos. Makes the line move faster tho. [quote name='dUSt' post='1342373' date='Jul 27 2007, 05:32 PM']If you get a tattoo you are going to hell. Already got one? Oh well. Sorry. I guess I won't be seeing you when I'm in heaven.[/quote] Dude. You're totally harshing my mellow. sorry I just had to say that. Seriously tho that is a tad bit harsh.
Cow of Shame Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1345602' date='Jul 31 2007, 08:53 PM']That way, if you have to take off your wedding ring for some reason, you're still "wearing" one.[/quote] And people will think you're in a gang
hoosieranna Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 Just don't wear one pants leg higher than the other.
iggyjoan Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='Cow of Shame' post='1345923' date='Jul 31 2007, 10:52 PM']And people will think you're in a gang[/quote] this is true.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1345602' date='Jul 31 2007, 07:53 PM']If you get married, you should totally get each other's names tattooed around your ring finger. That way, if you have to take off your wedding ring for some reason, you're still "wearing" one.[/quote] That's actually exactly what I wanted to do. Well, it was one of my ideas. I want my last name somewhere though... whatever it ends up being.
mtettleton Posted August 2, 2007 Posted August 2, 2007 Any literature I've seen regarding this issue has been unclear. I could not discern a straight answer so I prayed about it and ultimately felt that it wasn't a sin. <--------- Hence this. If the Pope says tomorrow that getting a tat is a mortal sin then I will go straight to confession.
Faith 1st Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 I do not have a problem with tats as long as the are in good taste...something you would not mind showing your kids.....but....I went with my hubby to get his and paid for it as a gift....I have been thinking about getting one. Not on my arms or legs,,something for me and him to enjoy, although he said that I should bot get one....Why is it ok for guys but a no no for girls?
knightec Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 [quote name='Faith 1st' post='1347935' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:28 PM']I do not have a problem with tats as long as the are in good taste...something you would not mind showing your kids.....but....I went with my hubby to get his and paid for it as a gift....I have been thinking about getting one. Not on my arms or legs,,something for me and him to enjoy, although he said that I should bot get one....Why is it ok for guys but a no no for girls?[/quote] I don't want you to get one. You are beautiful enough without one. Besides, you always pass out near needles. I don't want to have to carry you out of a tattoo parlor, I've had to carry you out of enough bars.
iggyjoan Posted August 3, 2007 Posted August 3, 2007 [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1345941' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:07 PM']Well, it was one of my ideas. I want my last name somewhere though... whatever it ends up being.[/quote] haha on the bottom of your foot. or on like one of your ears. or on your scalp and then let the hair grow back. hahaha I make myself laugh with lameness.
Totus Tuus Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 (edited) I don't think they're necessary, but honestly do not know if there's a definitive statement from the Church on tattooing the body. It just doesn't seem to add up as far as the argument of wanting to have a reminder of your Faith on your body, because we are so strongly encouraged to [i]wear[/i] scapulars already. I have heard a couple of things about what the Church teaches on tattoos, but the answers were kind of ambiguous because I don't remember definitive documents being cited. If there isn't a definitive statement, I can see why, because tattooing is part of some cultures, like in Africa. The Church does not change cultural practices a lot of the time. For example, the different rites in the Church use different types of music, depending on what the tradition of the culture there is. In the U.S., our tradition is not to have bongos, while in Africa it might be. So basically I'm just saying that it might be more acceptable in a society where it was the "norm", and not in a society where it is looked on with such ambiguity by differing peoples and faiths. Edited August 5, 2007 by Totus Tuus
Justin86 Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 (edited) It was explained to me that if God wants to put a mark on your body then He will do so. It is the Devil that wants us to get extra marks on our bodies (ie "the Mark of the Beast"). Furthermore our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and should themselves be submissive to God's will. At the ressurection of the dead we will not have our decayed, old, fallen bodies but new, spiritual, glorified bodies that if God wants to put any new marks on He'll do it then. Now before anyone jumps on me over this let me say I really don't believe this myself. Actually, I'm not sure what to think. I tired looking this up in the CCC and to my surprize I couldn't find anything on tattoos. Therefore I'm pretty confident that this is just a theology that seems to be popular in the seminary these days. It still has some interesting points to ponder on before getting a tattoo. Edited August 5, 2007 by Justin86
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now