An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gift For A Seminarian

catholicinsd

IrishSalesian

[quote name='ILOVEMARY' post='1345359' date='Jul 31 2007, 02:32 PM']Also, cufflinks are always a good buy, I have a collection but if you want to get him cufflinks ask him to make sure he isn't anti-cufflink, I know some seminarians who are.[/quote]
I am anti-cufflinks. I just think time could be better spent with the ministry of the Church rather than someone looking good. Sorry that it was off topic but...my.02>

Gas is a great gift! Although I can't have a car! :weep: So, rosary swapping is cool, and so is just keeping intouch with a seminarian, or future sister. I think, for me anyway, keeping a line of communication open with friends is an awesome gift. Obviously s this forum thats not hard to keep up. But with secular friends, they grow away very quickly. I know that when itold my friends (secular) that i was leaving for the seminary, I didn't hear from half of them ever again. So communication is always good. And some spending money doesn't hurt either.

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1348605' date='Aug 3 2007, 01:32 PM']I am anti-cufflinks. I just think time could be better spent with the ministry of the Church rather than someone looking good. Sorry that it was off topic but...my.02>

Gas is a great gift! Although I can't have a car! :weep: So, rosary swapping is cool, and so is just keeping intouch with a seminarian, or future sister. I think, for me anyway, keeping a line of communication open with friends is an awesome gift. Obviously s this forum thats not hard to keep up. But with secular friends, they grow away very quickly. I know that when itold my friends (secular) that i was leaving for the seminary, I didn't hear from half of them ever again. So communication is always good. And some spending money doesn't hurt either.[/quote]

I second the keeping the line of communication open. When I was in the monastery I could receive letters (but not respond until Christmas). A few people stuck it out the whole year and wrote regularly and that meant the world to me. They were writing just for me, knowing that they wouldn't be getting anything in return. Just to hear what they've been up to, how their families are... it's one of the best gifts.

Edited by Totus Tuus