Thy Geekdom Come Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 There's nothing dirty in this article, but it's very revealing about the world in which we find ourselves. Let's use this information to change the world. [url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291646,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291646,00.html[/url] God bless, Micah
XIX Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 I think the results would be a little less disturbing if it wasn't college-aged students. People who would "have sex to be closer to God" would not have sex during college, generally speaking. I agree that the results are quite revealing, but at the same time we have to remember that these stats had to come from someone and from somewhere. It's common for people to slyly manipulate a study to get the results that they want. In this case, perhaps they wanted to get results that would get the most readers. Still disturbing.
marielapin Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 I read this article this morning in the local paper. To me the "reasons" are a bit lame.... aren't "It feels good" , "I wanted to experience physical pleasure", and "It's fun" all the same thing!?! What about reasons 6,7 and 9 under men? Those are the same things as well... but the article in my paper had a quote from one of the researchers that commented on the lustfullness of it all...he was a bit surprized.
XIX Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1346245' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:11 PM']I don't like theology of the body...[/quote] Oh? Why not?
saint_wannabe Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 "2. I wanted to give someone else a sexually transmitted disease." ewww
Laudate_Dominum Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='Raphael' post='1346231' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:23 PM']There's nothing dirty in this article, but it's very revealing about the world in which we find ourselves. Let's use this information to change the world. [url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291646,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291646,00.html[/url] God bless, Micah[/quote] DANG! That's messed up.
Laudate_Dominum Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='XIX' post='1346247' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:12 PM'][quote name='StThomasMore']I don't like theology of the body...[/quote] Oh? Why not? [/quote] Yeah, what's the deal STM? Just curious.
Didymus Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1346245' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:11 PM']I don't like theology of the body...[/quote] that's unfortunate, becuase it's the same theology the Church has always taught. Anything less would just be quite puritannical less than what God intended for human sexuality
kateri05 Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1346245' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:11 PM']I don't like theology of the body...[/quote] oh well, the Church does
Lil Red Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 this story was on the "today show" this morning, and when they asked the question, i said to myself "that's easy - unitive & procreative" but then i thought to myself (after they aired the segment) that this would be a great opportunity for dioceses to teach people about TOTB
dUSt Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 This is the list for married men, aka my list: 1. It's my marital duty! 2. Babies 3. It's better than watching "What Not to Wear" 4. Because I have to use up this "coupon book" I got on father's day last year, which, oddly enough, can only be used at very specific times under very specific conditions not stipulated on the coupon 5. Because I mowed the lawn this morning 6. It's non-fertile time!!! 7. So I will get the oil changed on the car tomorrow 8. Because that 10 minute window between her "feeling tipsy" and sleeping is about to close 9. The kids are asleep 10. The kids are awake but the door is locked and there's no way they can get in, dang it, why not, c'mon please, I'll do the dishes... really!? awesome, okay cool.
Slappo Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='dUSt' post='1346273' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:30 PM']This is the list for married men, aka my list: 1. It's my marital duty! 2. Babies 3. It's better than watching "What Not to Wear" 4. Because I have to use up this "coupon book" I got on father's day last year, which, oddly enough, can only be used at very specific times under very specific conditions not stipulated on the coupon 5. Because I mowed the lawn this morning 6. It's non-fertile time!!! 7. So I will get the oil changed on the car tomorrow 8. Because that 10 minute window between her "feeling tipsy" and sleeping is about to close 9. The kids are asleep 10. The kids are awake but the door is locked and there's no way they can get in, dang it, why not, c'mon please, I'll do the dishes... really!? awesome, okay cool.[/quote] That last one gave me a good laugh! I needed that, thanks!
FattyBones Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 On a serious note, notice that "physical harm" was one of the bottom ten for men, ie it almost never is a reason, but for women it wasn't on the list. Sad.
Old_Joe Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 seems to me that they just kept restating or rewording the same reasons over and over again. In my TOTB studies, Christopher West pointed out men tend to be attracted to women physically and women tend to be attracted to men emotionally. The top ten lists still show that trend, but it's still skewed. One of my friends was taking an art class and they were studying the Statue of St. Theresa of Avila located in the Vatican. it shows her in a moment of spiritual ecstasy. The professor made the observation that it looked orgasmic. That sounds like how we've gotten things backward. Sex merely hints at the love we will experience in Heaven, assuming we get there.
Resurrexi Posted August 1, 2007 Posted August 1, 2007 [quote name='XIX' post='1346247' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:12 PM']Oh? Why not?[/quote] it's not modest enough
LouisvilleFan Posted August 2, 2007 Posted August 2, 2007 Not modest enough? In what way? The article doesn't offer any explanation... are the bottom 10 the rarest reasons, or considered by the subjects to be the worst reasons? I don't know how much stock I'd put in this... our culture can be very morally depraved, but it's not like we're literally in Hell. I mean, when you consider that most Americans work at boring or stressful jobs all day, often feel stressed by money or family, and on top of that, they lack a significant relationship with God... well, I can't imagine that I would wait for marriage either. These times aren't all that much different than any other time in history. We are just as much sinners and in need of grace as any other generation. The "good ol' days" were not back before the Great Schism, during the Middle Ages, or in the 1950s... they were in the Garden of Eden... and they'll return again when we receive our glory with Christ in eternity.
Socrates Posted August 2, 2007 Posted August 2, 2007 [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1346370' date='Aug 1 2007, 06:44 PM']it's not modest enough[/quote] Well, well, I see somebody's more Catholic than the Pope.
Resurrexi Posted August 2, 2007 Posted August 2, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Socrates' post='1346687' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:28 PM']Well, well, I see somebody's more Catholic than the Pope.[/quote] yep.go read the Athanasius Contra Mundum blog to see why all Catholics should be more Catholic than the Pope (it tells about the worst popes in history) Edited August 2, 2007 by StThomasMore
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now