Norseman82 Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Justin86' post='1349151' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:35 PM']Ahem, I am currently reading that excellent work by the Holy Father and he said that in reference to that particular book of his. All legitimately elected Popes like John Paul II and Benedict XVI have the authority to speak with the whole Church and be infallible on matters of faith and morals. To question such authority for any reason is heresy, and makes you out of communion with the Catholic Church. For the salvation of your soul I suggest you fix yourself and get back in.[/quote] But if a Pope wants what he says on his own (rather than together with the bishops like in a formal council like Vatican 2) to be taken infallibly, he makes his statement "ex cathedra". Only two papal pronouncements in history were made a infallible: those on the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption, as I recall. Edited August 4, 2007 by Norseman82
Norseman82 Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 [quote name='Didymus' post='1348638' date='Aug 3 2007, 02:42 PM']no, sorry for any confusion. I've been out of the seminary for a year and a half now. I was in for two years before that though...[/quote] oh great, more competition....I hope this mini-flu clears up in time to hit the gym later....
Resurrexi Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1349323' date='Aug 4 2007, 01:41 AM']But if a Pope wants what he says on his own (rather than together with the bishops like in a formal council like Vatican 2) to be taken infallibly, he makes his statement "ex cathedra". Only two papal pronouncements in history were made a infallible: those on the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption, as I recall.[/quote] There are actually a few more, but those are the two most famous and probably most recent ones.
XIX Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 [quote name='Didymus' post='1347220' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:28 AM']so true. now I haven't exactly experienced it myself (thank God) but I would think it would be that much more pleasurable when you give of yourself for the act rather than making it what you yourself want. true?... all you married folk out there? anyways, that's why I'm more than excited to wait for my wedding night...[/quote] I have never had sex, but I have had common sense in the past. And the latter expereince tells me that...yeah...I think you're right...
Pio Nono Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 JMJ 8/4 - St. John Vianney [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1349320' date='Aug 4 2007, 02:28 AM']Emphasis on "well-informed." If you're going to disagree at least have good reasons to back up your claims.[/quote] Exactly. I've got good reasons, I just don't feel free to share them.
Ora et Labora Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 Ok...I think everyone is taking STM a LITTLE too seriously. lol. He's 14, and he wasn't saying anything against anyone. I think people should calm down...just a little.
God the Father Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 [quote name='kateri05' post='1346257' date='Aug 1 2007, 06:01 PM']oh well, the Church does [/quote] [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/PeteLiv/ceburn.gif[/img]
XIX Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 [quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1349412' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:18 AM']Ok...I think everyone is taking STM a LITTLE too seriously. lol. He's 14, and he wasn't saying anything against anyone. I think people should calm down...just a little. [/quote] I concur. He said maybe ten words before people were jumping on him.
Ora et Labora Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 (edited) I know. He's a nice guy, and he didn't mean any harm. Edited August 4, 2007 by Ora et Labora
Maggyie Posted August 4, 2007 Posted August 4, 2007 TOTB is really interesting and seems to convey the Christian message very well in the modern world. At the same time I sometimes feel funny about the way it is presented as being the "only" valid theology of sexuality in the Church. That's just not true. Don't get me wrong, I love Papa John Paul II, and I would be thrilled if TOTB were required as a part of marriage preparation (way better than what we've got going now!) but sometimes I think there's a lack of catechesis, even among solid Catholics, about what is actual Church teaching and what is part of the personal teaching of the individual popes. Theological ruminations in Wednesday audiences do not doctrine make! Although they usually illuminate doctrine for us So congratulations STM on not being a heretic. But you really SHOULD come up with some solid, well-thought out reasoning for not liking it, though
Maggyie Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Old_Joe' post='1347729' date='Aug 2 2007, 06:50 PM']When I was a kid, my art teacher had us paint scenes from the Bible. Well, for some odd reason I picked Adam and Eve in the Garden. Well, the teacher told me to put some clothes on them, but then she told me to paint them, but to not show anything. I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the rest of the thread, but your post made me think of it.[/quote] This reminds me of the story of the Vacation Bible School that was going to put on a really elaborate, word-for-word play about Genesis... until they realized exactly how small the costume costs were going to be! Edited August 5, 2007 by Maggie
Theoketos Posted August 5, 2007 Posted August 5, 2007 [quote name='Justin86' post='1349151' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:35 PM']Ahem, I am currently reading that excellent work by the Holy Father and he said that in reference to that particular book of his. All legitimately elected Popes like John Paul II and Benedict XVI have the authority to speak with the whole Church and be infallible on matters of faith and morals. To question such authority for any reason is heresy, and makes you out of communion with the Catholic Church. For the salvation of your soul I suggest you fix yourself and get back in.[/quote] And then... [quote name='StThomasMore' post='1349259' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:31 PM']I wasn't denying Papal Infallibility. But every word the Pope says is not infallible. The following is the definition of Papal Infallibility (Denzinger No. 1839), my emphasis added: From that you can see that the Pope is only in fallible when "carring out the duty of the pastor and teacher of All Christians by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority he defines a doctrine of faith or morals to be held by the universal Church". Theology of the Body does not fall under that category. The definitions of the Immaculate Conception (Denzinger No. 1641), of the Assumption (Denzinger No. 2333), of Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus (Denzinger No. 469) are. If the theology of the body were to be infallible, it would have to be in an authoritative magisterial document (e. g. a dogmatic constitition, an encyclical, etc.); it would have to be in the solemn format, which the following is an example of: By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that [i]x[/i]; and it would have to be on faith and morals.[/quote] Save me a bunch of time.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now