An Old School Catholic Message Board

Historical Jesus

reyb

[indent]Because, I am trying to bring you to our main issue - about Jesus Christ nevertheless, what you think about our [post="1580740"]subject verse[/post]?[/indent]

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='reyb' post='1576067' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:33 PM']--------------------------------------------
[indent]Like I said, the name Jesus maybe too popular, and maybe there are many boys named Jesus. But the Jesus in the above verse has preachers. Now, do you know any Jesus besides your Christ who has preachers?[/indent][/quote]

Yes, actually. There is a "Jesus" (pronounced "hehsoos") who owns a taqueria down the street and people preach that he makes the best tortas in town. True story.

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1583327' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:17 PM']Yes, actually. There is a "Jesus" (pronounced "hehsoos") who owns a taqueria down the street and people preach that he makes the best tortas in town. True story.[/quote]
[indent]Do they preach that he is the Messiah for making tortas?[/indent] :sweat:

[quote name='reyb' post='1580740' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:57 PM'][indent]This is one of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church or any Protestant Churches that to me is not acceptable as teaching of an apostle. Let me post our subject verse:

1 Peter 3:8-18

[color="#FF0000"]13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. [/color]NIV

In other translation:
1 Peter 3:13-17

[color="#FF0000"]And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you are blessed. "And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled." 15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; 16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. 17 For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. [/color]NKJV

Are these verses really meant to defend your faith against each other? Or it means ‘to explain the reason to those who ask you about the hope that is in you.’[/indent][/quote]
how about our subject verse?

Galloglasses

Are you honestly confused about what we mean by defending the faith? Or am I missing your question?

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='reyb' post='1584246' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:42 PM'][indent]Do they preach that he is the Messiah for making tortas?[/indent] :sweat:[/quote]

Well they do say that they are heavenly...

On another note: Question: How many Jesus (Messiah) have been preached in our time? That is how many versions of him? Hint: think of heresies.

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1584708' date='Jun 27 2008, 10:26 AM']Well they do say that they are heavenly...
On another note: Question: How many Jesus (Messiah) have been preached in our time? That is how many versions of him? Hint: think of heresies.[/quote]

[indent][post="1576072"]As I have already explained[/post]. [post="1578455"]It will not work. The writer is simply saying 'another Jesus' although there is One and Only Jesus,[/post][/indent]

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='reyb' post='1585123' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:39 PM'][indent][post="1576072"]As I have already explained[/post]. [post="1578455"]It will not work. The writer is simply saying 'another Jesus' although there is One and Only Jesus,[/post][/indent][/quote]

Yeeeaah...that didn't make any sense.

Are you saying that you explained this earlier in this post? I am a bit confundido.

Galloglasses

Don't worry Kris, Reyb has been going on about this 'Other Jesus' stuff for the better part of four topics.

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1584667' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:39 AM']Are you honestly confused about what we mean by defending the faith? Or am I missing your question?[/quote]
[indent]If I got you correctly in your previous statement, you are simply ‘protecting’ your faith against all lies. Of course, nobody wanted to embrace lies. [post="1580740"]And because you mentioned our subject verse, I posted them here [/post]for our ready reference and then we can give comment. This is the reason why I asked ‘Are these verses really meant to defend your faith against each other? Or it means ‘to explain the reason to those who ask you about the hope that is in you.’

So, what do you think?[/indent]

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1585126' date='Jun 27 2008, 06:54 PM']Yeeeaah...that didn't make any sense.
Are you saying that you explained this earlier in this post? I am a bit confundido.[/quote]

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1585134' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:07 PM']Don't worry Kris, Reyb has been going on about this 'Other Jesus' stuff for the better part of four topics.[/quote]

[indent]Again, Because I want you to reconsider what I am saying for our own benefit while we still have time.[/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1585177' date='Jun 27 2008, 06:51 PM']This is the reason why I asked ‘Are these verses really meant to defend your faith against each other? Or it means ‘to explain the reason to those who ask you about the hope that is in you.’[/quote]

I think you are failing to recognize the profound underlying differences between Catholicism and the 'denominations' which you casually include within blanket of "believers" and "each other." There is a lot of Protestant being bashed by Catholics and a lot of Catholic-bashing by Protestants (by their very name they 'protest'). Hence, in defense of the Catholic Faith the abovementioned scripture passage is easily applicable. We have hope in Jesus Christ and his Church and his Sacraments and we must defend them.

Anyway, Jesus existed as an historical figure. Period. It is a weak historical argument that he didn't exist. Historians may argue about everything we can really know with veracity concerning his life, but there can be little doubt in my opinion and based on my reading of the writings of people who specialize in early Chrisian studies that he DID in fact exist.

Galloglasses

Veridicus, your point is valid and pretty much sums up everyone's arguement here to Reyb's questions.

But he's just going to ask the same question again.

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1586160' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:52 AM']Veridicus, your point is valid and pretty much sums up everyone's arguement here to Reyb's questions.

But he's just going to ask the same question again.[/quote]

That happens a lot when people are not actually interested in 'debating' but are more interesting in just repeating their already decided position on a topic rather than offering good evidence to substantiate said position.