Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Saw Monty Python And The Holy Grail Today


Recommended Posts

Pontifite 7 of 10
Posted

I saw the words a moose bit my sister, I never knew that a movie quote...I literally thought a moose bit T-Bone's sister...feel free to laugh at me now.

Posted

Ponti, don't ever change. Promise me that.

I'm Mr. Snikkers
Posted

I thought a moose really bit his sister too :blush:

Posted

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1381496' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:18 PM']I saw the words a moose bit my sister, I never knew that a movie quote...I literally thought a moose bit T-Bone's sister...feel free to laugh at me now.[/quote]

And that is why we love you!

Pontifite 7 of 10
Posted
:D are there any other inside jokes I never got? like "there is no spoon" is that from a movie or something?
I'm Mr. Snikkers
Posted

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1381664' date='Sep 9 2007, 09:48 AM']:D are there any other inside jokes I never got? like "there is no spoon" is that from a movie or something?[/quote]
It's from one of the Matrix movies.

Pontifite 7 of 10
Posted

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I should really watch those.

I'm Mr. Snikkers
Posted

I've only seen the first one.

xTrishaxLynnx
Posted

I don't know if I'd say its the greatest movie ever, but it's certainly up there. I just bought a Monty Python & the Holy Grail t-shirt the other day. :D

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1381694' date='Sep 9 2007, 04:10 PM']I don't know if I'd say its the greatest movie ever, but it's certainly up there. I just bought a Monty Python & the Holy Grail t-shirt the other day. :D[/quote]

I was actually having a discussion with my husband about African vs. European swallows today. :) Guess I was thinking of coconuts or something. :lol:

Posted

Am I the only one who finds that movie equally as blasphemous as [i]The DaVinci Code[/i]?

Pontifite 7 of 10
Posted

You would STM. The only part that is close was when they talked to God he would never be that cranky. But the Holy Hand Granade part isn't really, God must think like that sometimes because we always misinterpt what he says all the time.

Posted

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1381793' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:47 PM']Am I the only one who finds that movie equally as blasphemous as [i]The DaVinci Code[/i]?[/quote]

Yes

Posted (edited)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1381793' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:47 PM']Am I the only one who finds that movie equally as blasphemous as [i]The DaVinci Code[/i]?[/quote]

Absolutely. Monty Python gets much worse from there, too. There are some very funny parts in their movies, but they are very irreverent and blasphemous at times. Their name is a terrible sexual innuendo, too.

Edited by abercius24
Posted

[quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' post='1381824' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:27 PM']You would STM. The only part that is close was when they talked to God he would never be that cranky. But the Holy Hand Granade part isn't really, God must think like that sometimes because we always misinterpt what he says all the time.[/quote]

How about monks hitting themselves on the head while praying to Our Lord?
What about the inspired psalms being called depressing or something to that effect?
And I would say the "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" is at least semi-blasphemous.

Posted

Give thou me a break :eyeroll:

1. Look up the Flagellants sometime. Ecclesial history is not all peaches and cream. I strongly suspect that it is exactly the Flagellants that are being made fun of, not monks as a whole. And yes thankyou I am aware that not all Flagellants were monks.

2. Some of the sentiments expressed in the Psalms ARE depressing. Even in Latin.

3. Yes there are parts that border on blasphemy, and yes their humour is often sophomoric and crude. But even in the midst of that, there is some brilliant work here that is funny on multiple levels.

Here is an example. I've taken a graduate level seminar on Arthurian literature. There are many parts of that movie that are even funnier if you know the literature. Take the infamous Grail Castle scene. Most people focus in on Zoot and her abortive spanking. But thats not all thats going on here. Whenever you find a Castle of Maidens in Arthurian Literature, it is always Gawain that finds it, he is always in great danger, and he always recognises that danger and steers clear without a problem. But in the movie, Gawain does not recognise the peril he is in, though the other knights do and rescue him.That is the exact opposite of what happens in the Arthurian tales.

That isn't the only one as well. There are actually quite a lot of things going on in the background that are even funnier if you know what is going on behind them. For example, the witch burning scene, the dangerous bridge over fiery or otherwise deadly chasms, the minstrelling, and others besides.

These layers of additional meaning are absent from Davinci Code.

4. So, to say that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is as blasphemous as DaVinci Code makes about as much sense as saying that Plan 9 from Outer Space is as great a piece of cinematic excellence as Star Wars.

Pontifite 7 of 10
Posted

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1381953' date='Sep 9 2007, 05:41 PM']How about monks hitting themselves on the head while praying to Our Lord?[/quote]
That isn't blashphemous in the least.

Posted

[quote name='Staretz' post='1381992' date='Sep 9 2007, 06:38 PM']Give thou me a break :eyeroll:

1. Look up the Flagellants sometime. Ecclesial history is not all peaches and cream. I strongly suspect that it is exactly the Flagellants that are being made fun of, not monks as a whole. And yes thankyou I am aware that not all Flagellants were monks.

2. Some of the sentiments expressed in the Psalms ARE depressing. Even in Latin.

3. Yes there are parts that border on blasphemy, and yes their humour is often sophomoric and crude. But even in the midst of that, there is some brilliant work here that is funny on multiple levels.

Here is an example. I've taken a graduate level seminar on Arthurian literature. There are many parts of that movie that are even funnier if you know the literature. Take the infamous Grail Castle scene. Most people focus in on Zoot and her abortive spanking. But thats not all thats going on here. Whenever you find a Castle of Maidens in Arthurian Literature, it is always Gawain that finds it, he is always in great danger, and he always recognises that danger and steers clear without a problem. But in the movie, Gawain does not recognise the peril he is in, though the other knights do and rescue him.That is the exact opposite of what happens in the Arthurian tales.

That isn't the only one as well. There are actually quite a lot of things going on in the background that are even funnier if you know what is going on behind them. For example, the witch burning scene, the dangerous bridge over fiery or otherwise deadly chasms, the minstrelling, and others besides.

These layers of additional meaning are absent from Davinci Code.

4. So, to say that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is as blasphemous as DaVinci Code makes about as much sense as saying that Plan 9 from Outer Space is as great a piece of cinematic excellence as Star Wars.[/quote]

I'd like to hear your interpretation of scenes from "The Life of Brian" along the same level.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...