An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Politically Apathetic

N/A Gone

I dear friend of mine, someone I consider a brother, is very angry with me because I am politically Apathetic.

One of his arguments was that as a christian my voice and imput was needed. The less noise Christians make the less we get done what we want. The nature of democrazy is the whiner gets the bottle.

In which I reply

I do not feel we should be looking to get a bottle from the gov't. I do not feel the gov't should be what we expect to solve the problems we have. The gov't should not be trying to cure hunger, unemployment, The gov't will only do what it wants to do. if it feels it is helping itself by helping the hunger than it will appear to do that. But the effort it would take to convince the gov't would be easier and more effective if working with another organization that was actually trying to help the hunger.

Again, Im apathetic. To me a gov't should guard the boarders, get me my mail and stay the carp out of my life. Gov't will never exist to serve God. It will appear that way to gain support of a people. Any of the "goods" to attriubte to gov't would be done better if people had incitive and did it themselves and with like minded individuals.

I dont consider my view synical or unhelpful. I just do not think a controling gov't or a people addicted to the teet of that gov't is a good thing

People should not be afraid of their gov't, their gov't should be afraid of the people..;)

If you have a secular seperation of religious and civic control than that which is given the civic control should not be looked on as the church. thats our problem. The gov't is more than a civic control in america. It is our temple, "abortion is bad...gov't needs to ban it" "gay marriage is bad..gov't needs to ban it" "unemployment is bad...gov't needs to fix it" thats unhelpful. Rather than the christian people influencing other people to change we look for a secular gov't to fix the problem.

So I am politically apathetic. I care about the issues, but not a jack for the system and the gov't. To me it is hard to claim an insitution is christian or has christian leanings when 20 yr olds are coming home in body bags. (we can argue the war if you want...but only if you have spilled as much blood as i have in uniform--I think it is pathetic to argue the war when you are an arm chair QB.)

ok..have your shot.

btw, anyone ever read "Theopolitical Imagination" By Dr. Cavenaugh?

Edited by Revprodeji

that' all well and good to know the real solutions lies with the people. but, when the govt is at the cause of probs, such as a christian would point out abortion, you have no choice but ot be not apathetic.
to a large degree politics won't change till people do. but, you have to be willing ot argue the politics to help change people. and when there's a fine line as to whether it'll be legal or not, you have to pursh to ensure it is illegal, even when that means that you might be in the minority but able to leverage it illegal, which means it can be more than just changing people.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Even if the gov't makes abortion illegal it does not solve the problem. people will always find ways to go behind the scenes and do it. It is not the role of the gov't to inforce moral beliefs. Instead it should be us explaining and influencing the hearts and minds. Legislation should not be used to inforce morality. (not saying I dont promote pro-life people...just that it wont fix the problem)

first you are a catholic right? the CC teaches you have to try to change the govt.

plus, making it illegal would reduce the amounts of abortions. so that people will still do it sometimes doesn't have much relevance.

it seems like being politically apathetic is often just a cop out so that you don't have to argue politics and have a spine. but i might be mistaken in your case, that's just usually the case.

you have to pursh to ensure it is illegal, even when that means that you might be in the minority but able to leverage it illegal, which means it can be more than just changing people.
or when you're in majority but need to protect from an overreaching minority

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote]first you are a catholic right? the CC teaches you have to try to change the govt.[/quote]

-prove it. Changing society and changing gov't are 2 different things. "Theopolitical imagination" was written by a catholic theologian.

[quote]plus, making it illegal would reduce the amounts of abortions. so that people will still do it sometimes doesn't have much relevance.[/quote]

-prove it. It does not help the drug situation. We have more problems with the drugs that are illegal than the countries that make them legal.

[quote]it seems like being politically apathetic is often just a cop out so that you don't have to argue politics and have a spine. but i might be mistaken in your case, that's just usually the case.[/quote]

-since when do I not argue..;) Like I said, I care about the issue. But a political argument for me is like arguing if the packers or vikings have a better linebacker core. We can argue, we can have passion. But in the end if means jack because we are not the coaches.

I did not follow your last quote.

The myth of a christian nation bothers me. This is a secular gov't ran by people who are secular. Even if they claim a faith they do not follow it. We can influence the hearts and minds in the private sector, but I fear that our faith is only harmed by trying to use the gov't as a tool.

so you'd go on record as saying that you think the amount of abortions would be the same? if you thought otherwise, then it'd seem you'd want to push for change.

look up as per whether catholics are obligated to not be apathetic.
[url="http://www.wf-f.org/Catholics_and_Politics.html#anchor4801814"]http://www.wf-f.org/Catholics_and_Politics...#anchor48018164[/url]
i don't think it'd be an infallible declaration, but it seems pretty clear. voting responsibility translates into political nonapathy. even if it's not infallible, catholics are still required to follow it as per the defiintinos of what infallibe statements and similar statemetns are.

plus, if the govt wants to allow gay marriage, at least as a catholic, you have to ensure that it doesn't pass if you can. maybe you don't have to ban it. but you have to ensure to have your voice.
plus gay marraige in hte law one would think would affect society. society and polictis is a lot like a chicken and the egg thing in that the govt is what it is cause that's what the perople are. but, getting it legalized is surely going to reinforce the okayness of it. so you have to fight against it. and that means no apathy. you'd have to go out on a limb to think it wouldn't encoursage gayness acts.

so basically, in my opinion of your view so far, your only answers are things that are far fetched, thinking the laws don'g affect society and outcomes.

i can related to a lot of, well ya kow i don't know if these laws will affect socieyt and outcomes, so i am apathetic. admitting you don't know is very noble. but on the other hand, if you aren't sure it'd seem you'd err on the side of change and so nonapathy

The gay marriage would be a gov't thing, not a sacrament. They are just doing it to be recognized by the gov't and for gov't benefits like insurance and such. Makes no difference to me. Even if they dont pass Gay marriage it isnt like homosexuality will end.

Lets say you have 50points of energy. Is it better to put those 50 points into trying to get the gov't to be your tool, or to put that energy into actually addressing the problem? Is it better to try and make a gov't go against gay marriage, or to teach people about the sacrament of marriage in its fullness? The gov't is not a tool of the church. Perhaps we get lazy and try to make it that way.

The amount of abortions would be hard to tract since they would be done illegally. The mentality of abortion would still exist and people would find ways around it to do what they want. Maybe the luke-warm person would not consider it an option anymore so it could help some babies live. But the mentality and the death would still happen. Blood will still spill. The same gov't that we are trying to influence to change a law it issued is the same one Martin Luther king JR wrote about citing Augustine "an unjust law is a law no more" He continued to say "I lived in a country where certain principles dear to the Christian faith are suppressed, I would openly advocate disobeying that country's antireligious laws." So why would we desire to change the world by using the gov't when we know it is corrupt? If we change the hearts and minds of people the gov't will follow suit.

He continues..

[quote]There was a time when the church was very powerful in the time when the early Christians rejoiced at being deemed worthy to suffer for what they believed. In those days the church was not merely a thermometer that recorded the ideas and principles of popular opinion; it was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society. Whenever the early Christians entered a town, the people in power became disturbed and immediately sought to convict the Christians for being "disturbers of the peace" and "outside agitators"' But the Christians pressed on, in the conviction that they were "a colony of heaven," called to obey God rather than man. Small in number, they were big in commitment. They were too God intoxicated to be "astronomically intimidated." By their effort and example they brought an end to such ancient evils as infanticide. and gladiatorial contests.Things are different now. So often the contemporary church is a weak, ineffectual voice with an uncertain sound. So often it is an archdefender of the status quo. Par from being disturbed by the presence of the church, the power structure of the average community is consoled by the church's silent and often even vocal sanction of things as they are.But the judgment of God is upon the church as never before. If today's church does not recapture the sacrificial spirit of the early church, it vi lose its authenticity, forfeit the loyalty of millions, and be dismissed as an irrelevant social club with no meaning for the twentieth century. Every day I meet young people whose disappointment with the church has turned into outright disgust.[/quote]

just curious. What part of this is far-fetched?

If I could add my .02 in. Ironically a good friend and I were discussing this the other day. But I digress.

With regards to getting involved in politics, in the very least, we should vote for moral and ethical people to put in public offices and oust the corrupt ones. It isn't the government’s job to legislate morality, but on issues like gay marriage and abortion the gov't should step in. Maybe not always the Federal gov't, the States need more of a say nowadays.

But what is definitely needed is a change in society and what is considered acceptable. I'm not that old, but I remember when things like respect for adults and the law was commonplace, pregnancy out of wedlock was looked down on (abortion even more so), marriage was revered and not disposable like underwear, and common sense and morals were much more common.

It is our responsibility to try to install morals and ethics back into society. The gov't can help with some of it. A lot of the burden lies with us as well. It's a two way street.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1391065' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:12 PM']Even if the gov't makes abortion illegal it does not solve the problem. people will always find ways to go behind the scenes and do it. It is not the role of the gov't to inforce moral beliefs. Instead it should be us explaining and influencing the hearts and minds. Legislation should not be used to inforce morality. (not saying I dont promote pro-life people...just that it wont fix the problem)[/quote]

Y'know, you're right. People will still decapitate and dismember their babies no matter what you do with the law. Of course, the same is true for murder, rape, theft, perjury, etc. All of them grievous injustices and sins. Now it's all well and good to explain and influence the hearts and minds of murderers, rapists, thieves, perjurers, and such, but there is a need for enforcement.

Violence is still violence, and punishing and attempting to prevent such violence is the first and only legitimate purpose of domestic policy, and government as a whole.

When has the law stopped violence? It just punished the action. Stopping violence is self-serving. Thus a function of the gov't. Keeping the people peaceful is always a goal of a gov't. Stopping abortion does not help the gov't so they wont do it.

The moral people wont run for office. The process of public media is too much for anyone to put their family in. Even if someone claims morals while being voted in. It does not change what happens in the office (there was a thread on open mic of all the catholics who voted for abortion)

Gov't wont change society. Society changes the gov't. For a christian voice to be heard we need to influence the voice in the private sector. But we dont care. We would rather try and do it with a secular gov't that will only serve the majority.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1391111' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:50 PM']The gay marriage would be a gov't thing, not a sacrament. They are just doing it to be recognized by the gov't and for gov't benefits like insurance and such. Makes no difference to me. Even if they dont pass Gay marriage it isnt like homosexuality will end.

Lets say you have 50points of energy. Is it better to put those 50 points into trying to get the gov't to be your tool, or to put that energy into actually addressing the problem? Is it better to try and make a gov't go against gay marriage, or to teach people about the sacrament of marriage in its fullness? The gov't is not a tool of the church. Perhaps we get lazy and try to make it that way.

The amount of abortions would be hard to tract since they would be done illegally. The mentality of abortion would still exist and people would find ways around it to do what they want. Maybe the luke-warm person would not consider it an option anymore so it could help some babies live. But the mentality and the death would still happen. Blood will still spill. The same gov't that we are trying to influence to change a law it issued is the same one Martin Luther king JR wrote about citing Augustine "an unjust law is a law no more" He continued to say "I lived in a country where certain principles dear to the Christian faith are suppressed, I would openly advocate disobeying that country's antireligious laws." So why would we desire to change the world by using the gov't when we know it is corrupt? If we change the hearts and minds of people the gov't will follow suit.

He continues..
just curious. What part of this is far-fetched?[/quote]

what's far fetched is thinking laws don't affect society and outcomes. sociey: i do realize that most of the laws is mostly because it's reflective of cosity, but as i've said, surely, i'd think, it affects society and reinforces things. if you know aortion is legal, you'r more likely to think it's okay and htus promote the culture ofdetah. outcomes: and you're more likely to be irrespobsble sexually.

just because gay marriagen and homoseuality won't end doesn't mean you shouldn't push for change. you can reduce the amount of abortions or homo acts when it's either illegal or not being promotedas okay in the law. you don't seem to have made any real reply to my points so far.
if you don't think what i said i far fetched is far fetched, then it's a value difference. but, i don't see how anyone could reasonably have that value, so i deem it far fetched.

the 50 points thing is interesting. but, i don't think that reflects reality. it's not like you have to choose to either try to change people or change laws. if you were someone who devoted all their time to politics nd not interpersoinal thing, then you might have apoint for them. but, most people can do both. you change politics of thers in your spare time etc and politics separately.
you're creating a false dichotomy.

On the flip side though, look at the Catholics in Congress who have voted against abortion and the such. If I lived in any of the politician’s districts that consider themselves Catholic and voted FOR abortion I would make it known that they would not receive any support from me or a lot of other fellow Catholics.

People with morals is hard to find in gov't, but that doesn’t mean we just give up. We should support the ones that are already in public positions and elect more.

Society does change gov't, but the gov't has it's influence on society as well.

Not trying to gang up on anybody, just saying what I think...