An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Politically Apathetic

N/A Gone

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1396583' date='Oct 2 2007, 02:19 PM']other things more important. I do not feel like wasting any of my life or energy on it.[/quote]

Better to do nothing than be a small part of something?

yea. Maybe that time is spent on something important.

What are you trying to bait me into? I do not get what you are hinting at.

I don't understand. You said you didn't like people relying on the government. Yet, you're not going to do anything about it? That makes absolutely no sense.

dairygirl4u2c

i think he wants you to admit you have not been entirely consisten in this thread. but, you did say that you fleshed out your arguments, so i took that as you changed a little.
i gave you the benefit of the doubt, and assumed you didn't commuincate very well at first, lest "fleshing" things out meant changing your opinions. which, God forbid, anyone does, or admits to.

"fleshed out" meaning I come to a great understanding of my position. Which I have. I do not consider myself being inconsistent in this thread, just in communicating my point.

Whats with the sarcasm at the end? Was that needed? Do I bash you whenever I get the chance? Your ludicris "Catholic authority and orthodox" would be an easy target right now.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1396765' date='Oct 2 2007, 07:12 PM']"fleshed out" meaning I come to a great understanding of my position. Which I have. I do not consider myself being inconsistent in this thread, just in communicating my point.

Whats with the sarcasm at the end? Was that needed? Do I bash you whenever I get the chance? Your ludicris "Catholic authority and orthodox" would be an easy target right now.[/quote]

This is what it sounds like your saying (analagously, of course):

Rev-"I want the grass cut!"
Me-"So help me cut it."
Rev-"No!"

Let me draw the lines more clearly:
Rev-"I want people to be less dependant on the government."
Me-"So help me reduce government power."
Rev-"No!"

Edited by The Joey-O

dairygirl4u2c

the sarcasm wasn't directed at you mostly but at the phorum in general.
i suspect it should apply in your case of this thread, but it may be that you have not been clear.
i think going from hardcore apathetic, or just generally so, to only significantly apathetic is a change in my view. psycoholically most people don't like to admit that.
you were either not clear, or you are less hardcore apathetic, i'm still not clear as to which.

if you got ideas or can show inconsistencies in my catholic orthodox thread, i'm open to new ideas. i would be happy if you did in fact.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1396507' date='Oct 2 2007, 09:08 AM']It came out of an argument with fluff and I.

I was wondering if there was any valid reason to be interested or give an effort in politics. Still seems like there is not. Just opinions and people sucked in.[/quote]
People have given plenty of reasons why Christians/Catholics should be politically involved. You have just chosen to ignore or brush them off. You have still failed to give any reasons why Christians should not be involved in politics, other than giving a general attitude of despair. Seems you've already made up your mind, and anybody who disagrees with you are of course just "people sucked in."

You may think things can't get any worse in politics than they are now, but I can guarantee you that if all good people simply withdraw from any political involvement, things can and will get a LOT worse. The anti-Cthristian liberal forces in politics will have nothing to keep them in check, and will be given free reign.

But if this is simply about emotions - feeling unenthusiastic or whatever, there's not much to argue there. If it's about feelings and emotions, there can be no debate.
I could really care less whether you feel apathetic; the important thing is that we do our civic duty, and make some effort to change things for the better (and yes, this can include fighting to scale back government).

However, this thread keeps looking less like a debate, and more like a lover's spat between you and Joey. (Hey, calm down, I'm kidding!)

[quote name='XIX' post='1396540' date='Oct 2 2007, 10:43 AM']Then say "I have argued against the exact self-same arguments regarding politics and morality from Budge." You can even (but don't have to) add a disclaimer at the beginning saying "I'm not trying to insult you, but..."

Unless of course, you actually are trying to insult Rev. Which would only prove my point.
I think it was clear that I was not referring to every mention of the name Budge. I tried to make it clear that I was referring to insulting comments in general, and using that as an example. Your reference was quite unclear, "you're talking Budge-talk here" sounds like an insult. But even if it wasn't you seem to condescend a lot in your posts so I was inclined to believe you were at it again.

Hence, my point about name-calling. If you want to defend yourself, fine. If you want me to listen to you, then don't call me whiny, or over-sensitive. It really doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.[/quote]
Poor wee chicken.