An Old School Catholic Message Board

Of Icons And Linguistics

Aloysius

The icon is most likely an image of the Theotokos holding the Christ Child, which normally is in the apse (i.e., the dome of the apse) of an Orthodox Church, but it also could be an icon of the Theotokos that is called "Our Lady of the Sign." It is hard to tell for sure without seeing the entire image. The icon also looks a bit like the icon of the "Protection of the Theotokos," an icon that commemorates the miraculous appearance of the Theotokos at the Church of Blachernae in A.D. 911 when the city of Constantinople was under attack by the Saracens. According to tradition the Theotokos placed the city under her mantle and the Saracens were subsequently defeated, and Constantinople was saved from the infidels. Of course, part of the icon is obscured, so I cannot see if her mantle is draped over her arms.

That said, I think that the first icon I mentioned is the most likely candidate, although it should be placed in the dome of the apse, and not directly behind the altar, but the Church in the picture may not be big enough to have a dome, so it may be placed there for that reason, or for some other reason related to the overall structure of the building.

Edited by Apotheoun