An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doing What I Know Is Right

zabbazooey

I am coming back into my faith, and there are a lot of things I need to deal with as far as reforming my life goes. It's just so hard because certain things about my old lifestyle are still very appealing, and I am having a really hard time converting my heart to follow the Church's teachings faithfully.

I know what I need to do in order to follow God, but it is proving to be very difficult. I want to be an orthodox, faithful Catholic, but that also means giving up a lot of my old habits and ways, and even some relationships, because they lead me to temptation.

Does anyone else have this problem? You want to follow God, but some of you is still wanting the old lifestyle as well? How can I overcome this?

You guys are the best! :))

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397024' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:43 AM']I am coming back into my faith, and there are a lot of things I need to deal with as far as reforming my life goes. It's just so hard because certain things about my old lifestyle are still very appealing, and I am having a really hard time converting my heart to follow the Church's teachings faithfully.

I know what I need to do in order to follow God, but it is proving to be very difficult. I want to be an orthodox, faithful Catholic, but that also means giving up a lot of my old habits and ways, and even some relationships, because they lead me to temptation.

Does anyone else have this problem? You want to follow God, but some of you is still wanting the old lifestyle as well? How can I overcome this?

You guys are the best! :))[/quote]
I completely know what you are talking about. I have been back to the Catholic Church for 2 years and I am discerning the religious life. There have been many times that it has seemed that my old life would be so much easier and all it would take is to hear the music I used to listen to or to see how happy some people seem without the church.
The only way I have been able to combat this is to make sure I say the Rosary every day! That has been my weapon! And there is a big difference when I don't say it. I also have to make sure I say my prayers every day, I say the LOTH. Doing both of these have been a big struggle (sometimes a daily struggle!) but in the end the graces are amazing!
Also a good spiritual director helps a lot! They can kind of give you a reality check when needed, as mine has done on more than one occasion!
I hope this helps at least a little.
Christine

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397024' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:43 AM']I am coming back into my faith, and there are a lot of things I need to deal with as far as reforming my life goes. It's just so hard because certain things about my old lifestyle are still very appealing, and I am having a really hard time converting my heart to follow the Church's teachings faithfully.

[size=1]Oh I know how you feel!
I can live my life pretty well most of the time, but occasionally Ill be influenced by emotions or something external that makes me abandon my values momentarily. All the while I am aware of what is happening, but its almost like I am someone else...as if it doesnt matter.

But just stay strong!
We know in our hearts what way is the right way, but following it is a whole different game.
Surround yourself with people who will encourage you to live a good life, but you dont have to shut out those who dont either.
Just explain to them how you feel and if they cant respect your decision, they may walk out on their own.
As hard as it may be, we are all faced with situations that smell of elderberries and all we have to do is make a decision and follow through.
:console:

You are not alone!
[/size]

PapaHilarious

[quote name='Only4Him' post='1397040' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:57 AM']The only way I have been able to combat this is to make sure I say the Rosary every day! That has been my weapon! And there is a big difference when I don't say it. I also have to make sure I say my prayers every day, I say the LOTH. Doing both of these have been a big struggle (sometimes a daily struggle!) but in the end the graces are amazing!
Also a good spiritual director helps a lot! They can kind of give you a reality check when needed, as mine has done on more than one occasion!
I hope this helps at least a little.
Christine[/quote]

great advice. a strong prayer life, especially the rosary, and a spiritual director are good suggestions.

my journey into the Church meant dealing with and overcoming a lot of vices in my life that were not easy to let go. unfortunately for me, i didn't really have a plan (nor spiritual director or anything like that) so it took years to finally get myself on the right track. but what i can tell you from looking back on my experiences is that it's a two part process:

[b]1)[/b] [u]avoid the near occasions of sin[/u] ... this is HUGE. you wouldn't believe how radically you can change your life if you really give this a shot. i'm sure you know this passage from Matthew 18, but it's worth considering here:

[quote][7] "Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the man by whom the temptation comes!
[8] And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.
[9] And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.[/quote]

i was one of the people that used to always snicker to myself and go "oh yeah right, cut out your eye? cut off your foot? i can't take this seriously." the thing is, though, Jesus really [i]is[/i] being serious! no, He's not saying that you should cut off your limbs, but He's dead serious that it would be better for you in the long run than the evil caused by aiding temptation in your life. this isn't a passage of fear or worry, however. rather it is a passage of empowerment. because what Jesus is telling us in very dramatic imagery is that we actually have the power to fight temptation.

if certain TV shows or movies are causing you to lust...cut them out! if certain friends or chat rooms are causing you to gossip...cut them out of your life! if it seems too radical and you think that you're not strong enough to take a stand, then remember where that doubt is coming from. it's not coming from God. it's coming Satan, who fears how strong your faith could be if you purged yourself of what tempts you most.

[b]2)[/b] [u]draw strength from the Sacraments[/u] ... seek Truth, for the Truth shall set you free. never miss a Sunday Mass or Holy Day. go to daily Mass when possible. considering going to adoration and praying specifically for help with the things that appeal to you from your former life.

and through it all, always remember, our journey as Christians is day-by-day. don't look to the future and say "gee, there's no way i could keep up this (new) kind of life for years and years. i'm bound to slip up sometime." that's self-defeating. instead, think about today and how you can win the battle for today. then, when you wake up again, think about tomorrow. as JPII reminded us, faith in Christ and following his ways [i]is[/i] true freedom and always leads to ultimate fulfillment. God bless. :)

Thanks, everyone for your advice!

I'm really excited, because I signed up for a TEC retreat in November! :woot:

Has anyone ever been to one? What are they like?

It can take 6 weeks to 6 months to change a bad habit or take on a good one, so give yourself some time. Don't expect perfection, just make baby steps everyday. The most important thing I can suggest is that you avoid the people, places or things that caused you the greatest trouble/sin. Don't get so excited that you risk burning yourself out and falling away again. There is a reason why we do RCIA over months rather than use the tent revival atmosphere of instant conversion.

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397052' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:41 PM']Thanks, everyone for your advice!

I'm really excited, because I signed up for a TEC retreat in November! :woot:

Has anyone ever been to one? What are they like?[/quote]

They're fun if they're done right. I can't give away any secrets. I'm assuming they're done the same way in Omaha as in Lincoln. We have Koinonia retreats here in Lincoln. It's basically the same thing, except for college students.

I'm a college student too. Is TEC for high school students only??

I've never been to one in Omaha.

I'm going to one in Minneapolis :)

Edited by zabbazooey

let_go_let_God

I miss having TEC this far north. The one I went to was called Spirit Valley. Sadly they had to stop because there wasn't enough interest and couldn't get enough people to come. I hope you have a good TEC.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397145' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:51 PM']I'm a college student too. Is TEC for high school students only??[/quote]

I believe its based on age not year in school, and goes through age 19. At least, thats what mine was.

I wasn't a big fan of TEC when I did it, but thats because the timing wasn't that great, and I wasn't as into my faith then as I am now. It might be completely different if I did it now.

i did TEC in college. and so did about 10 other people at my TEC. not to mention the OPEC table (old people encounter Christ). it started as teen thing, but expanded.

i have mixed feelings about it, but some of the stuff i really like.

[spoiler] did everyone have the turnaround skit? that was nifty. oh, and obviously wheat :) [/spoiler]

Edited by kateri05

MissScripture

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397145' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:51 PM']I'm a college student too. Is TEC for high school students only??

I've never been to one in Omaha.

I'm going to one in Minneapolis :)[/quote]
The TECs that I've heard about (in Minnesota) are all for highschool age through however old people are who sign up.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397024' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:43 PM']I am coming back into my faith, and there are a lot of things I need to deal with as far as reforming my life goes. It's just so hard because certain things about my old lifestyle are still very appealing, and I am having a really hard time converting my heart to follow the Church's teachings faithfully.

I feel exactly the same sometimes. When I am in Mass I receive such pure guidance from God and surrender to the peace that comes from knowing I'm close to Him. When I step out of the church and back into the melee of everyday life, it's a different story. I find myself making excuses for 'little things' that I [i]know[/i] are going to lead to no good. For me, the only thing that works is just chatting to Jesus throughout the day, telling him what I'm enjoying and what I'm finding difficult, what I should have done and what I actually did, my achievements, my slips. He knows it all already, far better than I ever could, but it's helpful for me to remind myself of that. :) It teaches me to be honest with myself. Honesty in prayer is the crucial thing.

I'm glad to hear you're "coming home" :) In addition to the usual spiritual practices that we should strive for, like daily Mass, rosary, spiritual direction, adoration, etc, I think it's really helpful to surround yourself with like-minded people. I changed the most when I graduated high school and basically lost touch with all of my high school friends, and ended up spending a lot of time at church and with churchy people. (don't you love my technical terms?) As much as you should cut out bad influences, it's hard to do this alone, and so you should also get closer to good influences. It's easier for me being at Franciscan since I'm surrounded by those people...HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE...heh. jk. maybe.