An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doing What I Know Is Right

zabbazooey

I know I said this in another post very recently, but I'll say it again: reflect on the four last things - Death, Judgment, Hell, and Heaven.

You sound like St. Paul the Apostle.

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

Romans 7:15

It is harder being at a public University, especially one like the U of MN because it is so huge and completely liberal.

I really miss my small Catholic college. It was just so expensive.

I am glad to hear that you are returning. I see that many people have given you good advice so far. myself, i find that silent, directed retreats are best. maybe thats ust because i am militantly introverted!

This was read at Mass at few days ago, a really good verse to meditate on:

[quote]Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ.

--Philippians 3:8[/quote]
I like how he says "I have SUFFERED the loss of all things." It's not easy to let things go, it comes with great suffering, but you gain everything in return. CS Lewis wrote something similar:

[quote]Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin and decay. But look for Christ and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.[/quote]

[quote name='Era Might' post='1397967' date='Oct 5 2007, 11:28 AM']This was read at Mass at few days ago, a really good verse to meditate on:
I like how he says "I have SUFFERED the loss of all things." It's not easy to let things go, it comes with great suffering, but you gain everything in return.[/quote]

You know, in reading that verse i've never thought of the word [i]suffered[/i] in there.

--

It is difficult--actually you [i]can't[/i] do it. That's all grace...pray for the grace... and then keep saying "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil. 4)

Well, it seems like Jesus must really be smiling big to see you fighting so hard. Remember that great cloud of witnesses, your angelic cheering section. And if you fall, they don't all gasp and turn their backs. It's more like a big noogie and "you knucklehead, what was that? Get back in the fight."

As a wise Protestant minister once said, "The devil only doesn't bother those he's already got."

[quote name='Theoketos' post='1397795' date='Oct 5 2007, 12:02 AM']You sound like St. Paul the Apostle.[/quote]

my new goal in life is for someone to say that to me!

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1397024' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:43 AM']I am coming back into my faith, and there are a lot of things I need to deal with as far as reforming my life goes. It's just so hard because certain things about my old lifestyle are still very appealing, and I am having a really hard time converting my heart to follow the Church's teachings faithfully.

I know what I need to do in order to follow God, but it is proving to be very difficult. I want to be an orthodox, faithful Catholic, but that also means giving up a lot of my old habits and ways, and even some relationships, because they lead me to temptation.

Does anyone else have this problem? You want to follow God, but some of you is still wanting the old lifestyle as well? How can I overcome this?

You guys are the best! :))[/quote]

I am sure that we all, if we are honest, have this problem. I, for myself, know something about struggling to leave an old life to walk in a new. Rebirth isn't easy. Jesus wasn't joking when he talked about the road to destruction being a difficult path. hehe

Never forget that we a part of the Church Militant. This means that we are in the midst of a war and we need to arm ourselves. As Father Corapi says it, we need our identification (dog tags = scapular) and our weapon (rosary). And we need to use them.

Additionally, I find that I need to hit the sacraments often. There are some weeks that I simply [i]need[/i] daily Mass. And I hit Confession monthly. Confession isn't just absolution, but because of it's sacramental nature it is also a source of strength.

After time, I have also found that I will stop "wanting the old lifestyle." Perhaps it's a matter of putting some prayer miles between the old and the new. But it is important to maintain our "Militant" habits so that it stays that way, know what I mean?

Thanks for the post, Zabba. I totally relate.