Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[img]http://www.irdial.com/batleth_out.jpg[/img]

[i]Inspector McGarry.. holds up a chilling weapon seized during a raid on a house in Gloucester. Capable of decapitating its victims, the five-foot-long marial arts sword is being used to promote a nationwide knife amnesty.[/i]

I find it quite amusing that they are using a goofy Star Trek weapon to promote their knife amnesty. haha! What would Worf have to say?

[img]http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/stmagazine/worf-batleth.jpg[/img]


I don't know who they confiscated this thing from but they were no doubt some bad and scary Star Trek nerds.

[img]http://www.kowabunga.org/images/pictures/convergence_2003/convergence_2003_04.jpg[/img]

Posted

hahaha, that is hilarious!

Posted

Actually, the design vaguely reminds me of the bizarre type of knives/swords I see out in Japan. Maybe it's an Oriental thing?

Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1404717' date='Oct 18 2007, 04:36 AM']Actually, the design vaguely reminds me of the bizarre type of knives/swords I see out in Japan. Maybe it's an Oriental thing?[/quote]

That's definitely the big Klingon sword-thing from Star Trek:TNG, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was influenced by some Japanese stuff.

Posted

You know what? You can call me prejudiced but I get nervous around Klingons.

That's right I said it!! I don't trust'em!

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1404752' date='Oct 18 2007, 09:10 AM']You know what? You can call me prejudiced but I get nervous around Klingons.

That's right I said it!! I don't trust'em![/quote]

Specist!

Posted

I think that making a mockery of a real weapon is disgusting. This is a REAL metal sword. I don't care who made it what fictional character it came from if its sharp enough to kill people then it should be taken seriously. You wouldn't laugh at a real gun....even if it had barney kissing mikey mouse on it

Posted

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1404753' date='Oct 18 2007, 10:12 AM']Specist![/quote]

I have the guts to admit it!!

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1404775' date='Oct 18 2007, 10:48 AM']I have the guts to admit it!![/quote]
:shock: Why I NEVER. I'm wagging my finger at you. ...yes you!

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1404752' date='Oct 18 2007, 10:10 AM']You can call me prejudiced but I get nervous around Klingons.[/quote]

Yeah, I get especially nervous about the ones near Uranus. (I know, I just couldn't resist a bad joke!)

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1404771' date='Oct 18 2007, 09:40 AM']I think that making a mockery of a real weapon is disgusting. This is a REAL metal sword. I don't care who made it what fictional character it came from if its sharp enough to kill people then it should be taken seriously. You wouldn't laugh at a real gun....even if it had barney kissing mikey mouse on it[/quote]

The thing is that the design is of a fictional weapon... We also can't see the ends and the only "points" we see are rounded off, and it's hard to tell the 'sharpness' of a 'sword' from a picture so I would question that particular weapons lethal ability. Also, I would laugh at such a pistol if it was being held in a picture of captured items... Just because, out of all the possible choices of actual weapons they would have collected in a raid, they would show such a weapon.

The smaller picture does show a collection of weapons that are real and deadly, and does certify the situation.

A quick wikipedia shows the weapon to be a "bat'leth", which was created by the effects producer. While he is a martial arts enthusiast, they don't give any real weapons that the design was based off.

Edited by CatholicCid
Posted

I would put a small ammount of money on that weapon being used in some eastern martial art, it looks really familiar and i don't follow star trek. Yes, it's probably the biggest thing they had, but i guess no one on the police force followed star trek, either. it does seem to be like holding up the barney gun and saying "This can kill!"

Posted

I believe it's called a Bat'leth.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1404752' date='Oct 18 2007, 10:10 AM']You know what? You can call me prejudiced but I get nervous around Klingons.

That's right I said it!! I don't trust'em![/quote]

Are you captain Kirk?

Posted

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1404771' date='Oct 18 2007, 10:40 AM']I think that making a mockery of a real weapon is disgusting. This is a REAL metal sword. I don't care who made it what fictional character it came from if its sharp enough to kill people then it should be taken seriously. You wouldn't laugh at a real gun....even if it had barney kissing mikey mouse on it[/quote]
I wouldn't?

Posted

here let me try it on you and we'll see how deadly it can be.

Posted

Wow, the news story even says it's a Star trek replica.... and that police are seizing knives of all sorts? and hopping for people to turn them in?

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1405013' date='Oct 19 2007, 08:48 AM']here let me try it on you and we'll see how deadly it can be.[/quote]
Two points:

1. The barney gun(which isn't even real) or this Bat'leh thing that the cops found has yet to be indentified as an intended weapon to kill another human being.

2. Even if it was proven to be the intention of the weapon, there is such a thing as self-defense. Maybe not in Britian, but elsewhere, including the United States, this right does exist. Therefore yes, I would laugh at a barney gun or some weirdo collecting Star Trek weapons without fear that they might be used on me.


Let me guess, you're against legal gun ownership aren't you?

Edited by Justin86
Posted

"It was shown yesterday at the start of a five-week national knife amnesty. Cops hope 30,000 blades will be handed in, with owners free from prosecution."
[url="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article49507.ece"]http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article49507.ece[/url]

Apparently, there really *is* no self-defense in england...

Posted

P.S. I don't really know if i trust this news source, but it was the only relevant news on the first page of Google search.
and the police want butterfly knives(which are illegal to sell in certain states here, due to their extreme lethality and small size), flip knives, and swords.

therefore, carry a small dagger! ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...