An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Introduction

theophane

Hello everyone,

I have been poking around here the last week or so, posting here and there. I just wanted to introduce myself, and thank everyone for making such an interesting and inviting forum.

I'm 30 and a speech therapist. I have a pretty diverse background religion-wise. My mother was protestant and my father a nominal Greek Orthodox. They married and became involved in the Jesus movement. I was baptised Episcopal as a baby and attended a fairly "high" Episcopal church until junior high. My parents left the Episcopal at that time due to that church's changing teachings regarding female priests and sexuality. They bounced around from one protestant church to another, and brought me along for the ride. In college I kind of let loose and committed a lot of sins. I got really sick of it all, and Jesus woke me up. After a few windings in the road, I ended up coming into the Church at my college Newman Center. I fell in love with God in a way I never had before, and began to think I was called to the priesthood. I was super excited and eventually was admitted to an orthodox religious order. I was given huge blessings in the seminary, not the least of which was to find out how broken and mixed up I had been all my life. God healed me in big ways, and I was able to go on a month-long Ignatian retreat and be trained as a spiritual director. God kept speaking to me, however, and I never quite felt comfortable with the idea of being a priest (long story). Finally, after much prayer, I decided not to take vows and I returned home. I worked and tried to follow God's will for me. To my surprise, I met a wonderful girl and was married a little over a year ago. God has poured out on me a lot of graces and mercies. He's so totally not done yet, either. Thanks for reading this...I felt like a lurker, making little posts without having introduced myself properly.

Peace,

Theophane

[quote name='Justin86' post='1405968' date='Oct 20 2007, 03:03 AM']I have a stutter. You should help me sound out words.

Tell me to breathe...[/quote]

Does that work for you? Sounds like what someone who doesn't know what they're talking about would tell you. Just stutter. Let it out, dog. Trying not to stutter is the thing that makes someone stand out the most, in my experience.

[quote name='theophane' post='1405972' date='Oct 20 2007, 07:13 PM']Does that work for you? Sounds like what someone who doesn't know what they're talking about would tell you. Just stutter. Let it out, dog. Trying not to stutter is the thing that makes someone stand out the most, in my experience.[/quote]
I've always been told the reason why I stutter is because my mind works so fast my motor muscles in my mouth can't keep up.

That's what my speech therapist with a MA in the subject said anyway.

I thought your name read "the phone" at first.

Very cool story, man. Life is most interesting when in pursuit of Truth isn't it?

Never ever change your avatar. Ever.
I love that you found the church and are part of phatmass and I hope you stay here a long long time.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1405986' date='Oct 20 2007, 06:37 AM']I've always been told the reason why I stutter is because my mind works so fast my motor muscles in my mouth can't keep up.

That's what my speech therapist with a MA in the subject said anyway.[/quote]

Well, your therapist knows your case better than I. Fluency of speech is a very complex neuromuscular phenomenon, and we still don't know exactly what is breaking down when someone is dysfluent. The best research seems to say it's a combination of psychological/environmental, hereditary, and physiological factors--without one factor being capable of causing dysfluency on it's own.

Anyway...sorry to take this off topic.