An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Introduction

theophane

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1406124' date='Oct 20 2007, 01:04 PM']dude, WELCOME!!!!!!!

why theophane as your screen name?[/quote]

I'm a big fan (phan?) of St. Theophane Venard. He was a French missionary to Vietnam in the 1800's. He was very excited about becoming a missionary, but God made him wait for quite a while to get to Vietnam. He was known for working very hard and always keeping a remarkably cheerful attitude. St. Therese claimed that he was her "favorite male saint". I think because of the cheerfulness.

My other favorite saints are Camillus (overcame addiction to gambling--though I don't even like gambling, I appreciate the humility and perserverance he showed) and Bl. Pierre Favre. Favre is a huge unknown saint, I believe. He was a co-founder of the Jesuits and St. Iggy's college roommate (along with F. Xavier). St. Iggy would say later that "he [Favre] is able to direct the Exercises better than any man I know." He is buried under what is now the vestibule of the Gesu in Rome. Thousands of people come every year to the Gesu to see the tombs of Ignatius and F. Xavier, not realizing that they walk right over the grave of St. Iggy's humble right-hand man.

Longwinded! My apologies, again.

[quote name='theophane' post='1406132' date='Oct 20 2007, 03:21 PM']My other favorite saints are Camillus... and Bl. Pierre Favre. Favre is a huge unknown saint, I believe.[/quote]
Thats because the Green Bay Packers made him up in a desperate attempt to win over more Catholic fans. :)

[quote name='mortify' post='1406205' date='Oct 20 2007, 04:51 PM']Hi Theophane, welcome to phatmass. Just curious, what is the "Jesus movement?"[/quote]

The Jesus Movement was sort of a "revival" of christian faith, resulting mostly from the conversions of people within the hippie subculture. Basically, lots of hippie types started to realize that their subculture, with the drugs, free love, not taking showers, etc. was actually just as bad, if not worse, than the culture they were rebelling against. God touched them and there were many converts to Christ. For the most part, they were still kind of lost--most of them still had some serious issues with anything traditional or any kind of authority--so they set up lots of little churches and had some majorly rocking praise and worship services. I think it sort of fizzled in the 80s.

The funny part about the Jesus movement and my parents, is that they were the squarest people on the planet. My dad still complains about how "you couldn't buy a normal pair of pants for almost 10 years!" They drank alcohol once. They never did any drugs. How they ever got connected with a group of ex-hippies, I have no idea.

[quote name='theophane' post='1406116' date='Oct 20 2007, 12:48 PM']Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: my parents also came into the Church, during my third year in the seminary. God is GOOD![/quote]
Bonus! Very cool!

Welcome to the phamily, theophane.

God Bless!

:dance:

• 3 weeks later...

seriously man...i am so glad you joined on here. i think you will enjoy your stay :) i used to post on here kinda-sorta-a lot like 2 years ago. then i stopped. and i just recently rediscovered the joy of being around other good Catholics. i forgot...i was totally suppossed to check out mycatholicvillage. you know who asked me to give it a try. :)

[quote name='corban711' post='1416507' date='Nov 9 2007, 01:42 AM']seriously man...i am so glad you joined on here. i think you will enjoy your stay :) i used to post on here kinda-sorta-a lot like 2 years ago. then i stopped. and i just recently rediscovered the joy of being around other good Catholics. i forgot...i was totally suppossed to check out mycatholicvillage. you know who asked me to give it a try. :)[/quote]

Yes dude. I have been starved for the company of good Catholics too. We NEED to chill sometime. :smokey:

[quote name='theophane' post='1416509' date='Nov 9 2007, 04:11 AM']Yes dude. I have been starved for the company of good Catholics too. We NEED to chill sometime. :smokey:[/quote]

yeah. i would like that VERY much! still have the same cell #? i'll call you in a few days so we can try to plan something.