An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is America A Great Country?

XIX

MissScripture

As a second generation in America, I hear a lot from my grandparents about the "old country." Their "old country" being Yugoslavia (different parts, they met here). Both, before coming to America, moved to Austria. My grandpa was very poor in Yugoslavia and still poor in Austria. (They had to leave Yugoslavia because of WWII)

My grandma was from a wealthy family, before the war. Then the war came and her brother was stuck in Germany, her father was taken by the Russians and she and her mother were put in concentration camps by the Russians. When they escaped, after the war ended, they went to Austria, where they found her brother. She started school there, and her brother (who was a good deal older than she) worked and started a family, and her mother worked as well. My grandma had to go out and beg for food, because they didn't have enough money to buy enough food. Then, one day, they heard about opportunities to come to America, and they decided to come here.

When they got here, they had nothing. I think my grandpa had a $1.17, and a pack of cigarettes (which he sold to a sailor, becuase he couldn't stand them). I don't know what my grandma had, but it wasn't much. But they came here and they got jobs and they worked and worked and made a life for them and their families.

Now, they own a beautiful house on a lake. They have been in this country for more than fifty years, and love America dearly. That is what I grew up hearing about, how without this country they could never have nearly all they have, today. They never would've had the opportunities. I realize a lot has changed since then, but a lot is still the same. Do I think America is great? Definitely. Do I think America is perfect? Not by a long shot. Do I think for the most part America is well-intentioned? Yes. Do I think we've made mistakes? Of course. But overall, I don't know anywhere I'd rather live.

The real question is: is America a great country, or the greatest country?

[img]http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/stephen-colbert-loves-the-wii-11-28-2006-ii.jpg[/img]

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1426932' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:08 AM']I think my grandpa had a $1.17, and a pack of cigarettes (which he sold to a sailor, becuase he couldn't stand them).[/quote]
How stereotypical of the Navy...*shakes head* :P

Well, it had a lot of room for improvement, but I cant imagine where else I'd want to live. I risk my life for my country, so it must be something special.

MissScripture

[quote name='Justin86' post='1428517' date='Dec 3 2007, 04:26 AM']How stereotypical of the Navy...*shakes head* :P[/quote]
:hehehe:

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='XIX' post='1425832' date='Nov 27 2007, 05:52 PM']Discuss.[/quote]

Ill answer with as short a response as your question: Yes

[quote name='dUSt' post='1426397' date='Nov 28 2007, 02:45 PM']It was great pre-hippies.[/quote]

Right. The hippies ruined nearly all that was still good in this country. The really sad thing is that some hippie religious, priests, and even bishops are beginning to ruin all that is good, true, and beautiful in Christ's Church by misinterpreting Vatican II documents. God help us!