elizabeth_jane Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 On my list: --Gather Us In --Though The Mountains May Fall --Sing a New Song --Lift Up Your Hearts Part of this may stem from the fact that I did K-8 in Catholic school, and therefore you sing a lot of the same songs to death. But seriously, I could go through life very, very happy if I never sang these songs again.
The Bus Station Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 We Are Called Lord, When You Came to the Seashore (!) We Are the Light of the World (Whose idea was it to put such joyful lyrics to such depressing music?)
Deus te Amat Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 In the Garden Heavenly Sunlight Pass Me Not Jesus Loves Me There are more... I do music at a local nursing home... its not that these songs are bad.. its that we do them over and over and over and over and over and over
Lena Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 I'm not really fond of "Our God is an Awesome God" mainly because I've heard it too much. While I do like this song, I can never sing "Jerusalem, My Destiny" without putting an extra emphasis on destiny, just as we all did during Mass in grade school. Funny the things we remember! "Jerusalem, my [i]DES-TINY[/i]!!"
MissScripture Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 [quote name='Lena' post='1427938' date='Dec 1 2007, 09:38 PM']I'm not really fond of "Our God is an Awesome God" mainly because I've heard it too much. While I do like this song, I can never sing "Jerusalem, My Destiny" without putting an extra emphasis on destiny, just as we all did during Mass in grade school. Funny the things we remember! "Jerusalem, my [i]DES-TINY[/i]!!"[/quote] WE SANG IT JUST LIKE THAT, TOO!
BG45 Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 Amazing Grace. I loved it at one point...then for about three straight years in Sunday School we sung it twice a day there, and on occasion, a third time in the Service. I cringe at it now.
elizabeth_jane Posted December 2, 2007 Author Posted December 2, 2007 [quote name='The Bus Station' post='1427933' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:32 PM']We Are the Light of the World (Whose idea was it to put such joyful lyrics to such depressing music?)[/quote] I totally, totally concur.
Birgitta Noel Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 Try singing it with a base who thinks it should have the tempo of a funeral dirge! Complete with organ accompaniment!
elizabeth_jane Posted December 2, 2007 Author Posted December 2, 2007 [quote name='The Little Way' post='1427961' date='Dec 1 2007, 11:18 PM']Try singing it with a base who thinks it should have the tempo of a funeral dirge! Complete with organ accompaniment![/quote] I think I would Hurt that person. badly. There is NOTHING worse than a bad hymn with a bad tempo.
elizabeth_jane Posted December 2, 2007 Author Posted December 2, 2007 [quote name='Lena' post='1427938' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:38 PM']I'm not really fond of "Our God is an Awesome God" mainly because I've heard it too much. While I do like this song, I can never sing "Jerusalem, My Destiny" without putting an extra emphasis on destiny, just as we all did during Mass in grade school. Funny the things we remember! "Jerusalem, my [i]DES-TINY[/i]!!"[/quote] When I was in grade school, we sang "City of God" a lot, and in the second verse ("we are sons of the morning/ we are daughters of day"), we always broke that up by gender. Even today I feel very odd singing the verse straight through.
BLAZEr Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 I hate that song that has the same tune as Wild Mountain Thyme . . . "And holy is your name through all generations" blech
inDEED Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 I just GOTTA fix the title of this post... It's hym[b]n[/b]s.
Starets Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 I can only stomache "Amazing Grace" it it is sung to a different tune, such as "The House of the Rising Sun" or the "Gilligan's Island" theme Also, i dont want to hear "Abba Father" again, along with "And the Father will dance"
hoosieranna Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 I haven't heard most of these. I get tired of "Shout to the Lord" myself.
st-annes Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 "Follow Me." I think it was originally by John Denver or somebody like that. They used to sing it at my parish. No, seriously. It's the one that goes, "Follow me, where I go, who I am and who I know / take a part of me to be a part of you..." They used to sing it as one of the two exit hymns. Not only is it super-depressing, but it is a pop song and completely ruined my concentration. I guess some ambitious mind thought it sounded analogous to Christ asking us to follow Him and even though He left us, He'd always be with us. Sorry, to me it just reminded me of how much I didn't like the song.
Resurrexi Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 (edited) I hate, loathe, despise, abominate and abhor almost every song by Marty Haugen or David Hass, God have mercy on their souls, and I hope to never hear their songs again. Edited December 2, 2007 by StThomasMore
Resurrexi Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 (edited) double post Edited December 2, 2007 by StThomasMore
EAnn246 Posted December 2, 2007 Posted December 2, 2007 [quote name='Lena' post='1427938' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:38 PM']I'm not really fond of "Our God is an Awesome God" mainly because I've heard it too much. While I do like this song, I can never sing "Jerusalem, My Destiny" without putting an extra emphasis on destiny, just as we all did during Mass in grade school. Funny the things we remember! "Jerusalem, my [i]DES-TINY[/i]!!"[/quote] We did too!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now