Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Most Annoying Hymns


Recommended Posts

Ash Wednesday
Posted

Anything from the Spirit and Song book and the kind of crizzap sung at Lifeteen masses.
Gather Us In... oh boy! Let's worship like it's 1968!
Here I am -- sappy much?
Gift of Finest Wheat -- this hymn sounds like an insurance commercial jingle. In fact a lot of contemporary hymns sound like insurance commercial jingles.

Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1428087' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:07 AM']Gift of Finest Wheat -- this hymn sounds like an insurance commercial jingle. In fact a lot of contemporary hymns sound like insurance commercial jingles.[/quote]


Aaaagh! Now I've got it stuck in my head! Thanks for bringing back [i]that[/i] memory... :lol_roll:

Ash Wednesday
Posted

Exactly. I have memories of going to mass early in the morning on Sunday and coming home to watch football on TV, with insurance commercials aplenty. I don't recall "the brehhhhhhhd of life to eeeeeat" sounding all that different from "and like a good neighhhhhhbor, state farm is theeeeeere!"

elizabeth_jane
Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1428093' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:40 AM']Exactly. I have memories of going to mass early in the morning on Sunday and coming home to watch football on TV, with insurance commercials aplenty. I don't recall "the brehhhhhhhd of life to eeeeeat" sounding all that different from "and like a good neighhhhhhbor, state farm is theeeeeere!"[/quote]


:lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:
Thank God we aren't singing that this morning or I'd never make it through...

Posted

JMJ
12/2 - First Sunday of Advent

Happy New Year!

1.) Amazing Grace - its theology is so Calvinistic it makes me ill. I'm a baptized son of God, not a WRETCH. And even then, when I was unbaptized, I was still NOT a wretch; creation is GOOD, however screwed up sin makes it.

2.) City of God - Benedikt seems to come out against a theology of "build[ing] the City of God" in [i]Spe Salvi[/i]. The song is also aesthetically displeasing.

3.) Anything patriotic in church. I feel like a Nazi when I sing the praises, not of God, but of my homeland.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

Just because you are tired of singing a particular song doesn 't mean ita a bad song, just that you are tired of it. Those are seperate issues. Overuse by unimaginative organists is a big part of the problem.

Posted

I feel really bad about this one... Taste and See. At my Confirmation Mass they were singing this one, and it struck me and I whispered to my sister, "Taste, and see, taste, and see, the goodness of Kraft cheeeeeese..." The real words (taste and see the goodness of the Lord) are scriptural but the melody sounds like a jingle for a commercial, and I couldn't resist. Sorry Jesus, I didn't mean to be disrespectful at my Confirmation Mass :(

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1427930' date='Dec 1 2007, 09:27 PM']here we go again

:popcorn:[/quote]
Yep!

[quote name='Staretz' post='1428021' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:26 AM']I can only stomache "Amazing Grace" it it is sung to a different tune, such as "The House of the Rising Sun" or the "Gilligan's Island" theme

Also, i dont want to hear "Abba Father" again, along with "And the Father will dance"[/quote]
I can't stand [i]Amazing Grace[/i] at the tune of [i]House of the Rising Sun[/i]... gah... Animals all over again... lawl... I say keep [i]House of the Rising Sun[/i] as [i]House of the Rising Sun[/i]

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1428026' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:35 AM']I haven't heard most of these. I get tired of "Shout to the Lord" myself.[/quote]


[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1428031' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:39 AM']I hate, loathe, despise, abominate and abhor almost every song by Marty Haugen or David Hass, God have mercy on their souls, and I hope to never hear their songs again.[/quote]
:lol_roll: God bless you child.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1428087' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:07 AM']Anything from the Spirit and Song book and the kind of crizzap sung at Lifeteen masses.
Gather Us In... oh boy! Let's worship like it's 1968!
Here I am -- sappy much?
Gift of Finest Wheat -- this hymn sounds like an insurance commercial jingle. In fact a lot of contemporary hymns sound like insurance commercial jingles.[/quote]
Two remarks. One, I think when it comes to Canada and the US, there are totally different hippy hymnals out there... even one of our best common ones, "Catholic Book of Worship" has pop-like hymns from the 70s... the only good ones in there are the one or two Welsh ones, and the few ancient hymns that are dumbed down (though there are some acceptable contemporaries. Gift of Finest wheat is not one of them... or taiste and see). Oh, and there is some mass settings derriving from plainsong (in standard notation). Gah, can't win it all...

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1428097' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:45 AM']JMJ
12/2 - First Sunday of Advent

Happy New Year!

1.) Amazing Grace - its theology is so Calvinistic it makes me ill. I'm a baptized son of God, not a WRETCH. And even then, when I was unbaptized, I was still NOT a wretch; creation is GOOD, however screwed up sin makes it.

2.) City of God - Benedikt seems to come out against a theology of "build[ing] the City of God" in [i]Spe Salvi[/i]. The song is also aesthetically displeasing.

3.) Anything patriotic in church. I feel like a Nazi when I sing the praises, not of God, but of my homeland.[/quote]
1. Wow, never thought of that. Thumbs up.
2. I heart Il Papa!
3. Interesting point of view. I sort of agree, cause I find it odd to sing O Canada at the end when it comes to Remembrance Day (Nov. 11) or Canada day. hmm...

[quote name='Maggie' post='1428150' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:18 PM']I feel really bad about this one... Taste and See. At my Confirmation Mass they were singing this one, and it struck me and I whispered to my sister, "Taste, and see, taste, and see, the goodness of Kraft cheeeeeese..." The real words (taste and see the goodness of the Lord) are scriptural but the melody sounds like a jingle for a commercial, and I couldn't resist. Sorry Jesus, I didn't mean to be disrespectful at my Confirmation Mass :([/quote]
It's okay. I think it's a good chunk of evidence that (young) people are given a non-nonsensical, commercialistic kind of music in mass, and it's changing the atmosphere and understanding of the event that is occuring.

Okay, my pet peeves. Singers crooning on verse after verse when we should be getting on with the mass... and lack of practicing the harmonies of the music when the choir has shown capability before.

Posted

er...I was just reading Imitation of Christ and I saw this quotation, "May it please Thee O Lord, to deliver me; for poor wretch that I am, what can I do and whither shall I go without Thee?"

Anyhoo...
I'd rather not hear Sing to the Mountains or God's Spirit Is In My Heart ever again.

Posted

Oh, just an iota... [i]Amazing Grace[/i] played to [i]House of the Rising Sun[/i] no longer is a hymn, but a pop song with lyrics from a hymn. 'Nuff said.

Posted (edited)

"Sing a New Church", as well as any song where the lyrics have been changed to appease the feminazi lobby.

"Receive It in your Heart" has a very "crying child" sound to it.

I could probably try to find a therapist to see if I could conjure up any other repressed memories of cheesy songs played at Mass back in the 70s.

Other than that, any hymn that is used inappropriately. For example, at All Saints Day mass this year, the Litany of Saints was played at communion. Personally, I feel that it would have been more appropriate as a processional hymn and that for communion there should be Eucharistic hymn.

Also, for a while at one parish, every week the Offertory hymn was "Take our Bread" (it was sung while the collection was taken!).

Another time, when I was in college at UIC, there was a Mass for Polish Constitution Day, and the priest started looking through the missalette at one point in Mass and said "lets sing this song - the author is Polish".

Edited by Norseman82
Posted

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1428097' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:45 AM']JMJ
1.) Amazing Grace - its theology is so Calvinistic it makes me ill. I'm a baptized son of God, not a WRETCH. And even then, when I was unbaptized, I was still NOT a wretch; creation is GOOD, however screwed up sin makes it.[/quote]

Not only that, it is biased against infant baptism ("how precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed").

Ave Maria Totus Tuus
Posted

City of God - "let our tears be turned into DANCING!!"
Gather Us In - meh.
Go Make a Difference - eek!

Posted

[quote name='Pio Nono' post='1428097' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:45 AM']3.) Anything patriotic in church. I feel like a Nazi when I sing the praises, not of God, but of my homeland.[/quote]
Patriotism is a virtue :)

Posted (edited)

Gather Us In
Here I Am, Lord
Be Not Afraid
One Bread, One Body
Table Of Plenty
City Of God
Sing A New Song Unto The Lord
I Am The Bread Of Life
Everyone Moved By The Spirit
We Are The Light Of The World
The King Of Glory Comes

And I'm sure there are others that I'd hate if I ever had to sing them.

Edited by Dave
MissScripture
Posted

Any song at a Polka Mass.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Gather Us In
All Are Welcome
Table O' Plenty
That "[i]we have come to share our story, we have come to break the bread[/i]" song.

The list could go on and on but most of the real clinchers have already been mentioned. I'll give you all an amen to that.

Posted

I am a "Young People" and i HATE the songs that sound as if they are coming off of a children's cd... or a commercial. ugh. <_<

elizabeth_jane
Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1428164' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:57 PM']"Sing a New Church", as well as any song where the lyrics have been changed to appease the feminazi lobby.[/quote]

AMEN.
I could write a whole book about this stuff. Is it really subversive if I sing the real lyrics instead of the cheesy new ones? :)
I really hate this with Christmas songs. Why can't we sing "O Christian Men, Rejoice"? And of course we never sing "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen."
My favorite--when I was in college we were singing "Hark! The Herald..." for a concert. The choir director changed all the lyrics so that they read things like "born to raise each child of earth/ born to give us second birth." Nevermind that the congregation (who was singing with us) sang the real lyrics, as well as half the choir. I forget what she did with "pleased as man with man to dwell", but it must have been something awful.

Posted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1428251' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:44 PM']I am a "Young People" and i HATE the songs that sound as if they are coming off of a children's cd... or a commercial. ugh. <_<[/quote]

When I was in high school, I volunteered with my church's children choir and that's all they sang. Plus, they used the CD's in the background--I'd rather just hear the kids voices than a CD that overpowers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...