Jesus_lol Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 hey i never claimed that i give [i]good[/i] advice!
Jesus_lol Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 just scratching the tip of the bad advice iceberg here. you could also always keep a bouqet of roses on hand and give it to her when she says stuff like that. inconvenient, yes. awesome, you better believe it! or best yet, point and say "DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!" then bolt in the opposite direction
Christie_M Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 (edited) i like the second one. Edited November 19, 2008 by Christie_M
Justin86 Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 I'm standing by my original post, and maintaining that it is [i]dyslexia[/i] and not anorexia. You guys are screwing up the two words, which means everyone is anorexic except for me!
Justin86 Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1703829' date='Nov 18 2008, 03:25 PM']When I was younger, whenever I heard the tune "Oklahoma" I alway thought an anvil would fall on my head... And I thought the musical was about anvils falling on people's heads because they always fell in the Loony Tunes whenever Oklahoma was sung... [/quote] [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aW1CQslDk"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aW1CQslDk[/url] Poor Billy Gillman
Justin86 Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMF3A2r-8&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMF3A2r-8&...feature=related[/url] Still not getting anvils...
icelandic_iceskater Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1704590' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:40 AM']or best yet, point and say "DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!" then bolt in the opposite direction[/quote] rofl my bro's always pointing and saying "Hey look its the Jonas Brothers!" then grabbing plates out from under girls. I feel bad for my sister. She's nine years old and a little overweight. My freakishly skinny younger bros are always calling her fat and they don't understand why that is a horrible thing to do! In their mind- its true so why not?
Justin86 Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 So anyone care to tell me how the song Oklahoma has to do with anvils? I honestly have no idea what people are talking about. Really.
Jesus_lol Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 cause they use it in looney tunes just before an anvil gets dropped on someone apparently
Justin86 Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1704706' date='Nov 20 2008, 01:26 AM']cause they use it in looney tunes just before an anvil gets dropped on someone apparently[/quote] Which one though? I watched Looney Tunes growing up, and I don't remember either of those songs. Long live Bugs, by the way.
jeffpugh Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 Meh. This thread is interesting... so have we come to a consensus what the right thing to say to that question is?
Paddington Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1704717' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:14 PM']Meh. This thread is interesting... so have we come to a consensus what the right thing to say to that question is?[/quote] That Homer one was good.
icelandic_iceskater Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1704717' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:44 PM']Meh. This thread is interesting... so have we come to a consensus what the right thing to say to that question is?[/quote] I think it depends on the situation.
picchick Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 Alright, I agree with Cross Cut on this one and I know that it was quite a few pages back. I was overweight pretty much my whole life growing up. It was hurtful because I knew. I felt disgusting, I was isolated at school. People told me that I was fat. I felt pretty low. I lost quite a bit of weight since then. I admit, I still could stand to lose a few more lbs. The thing that I noticed about bigger people is that when they lose the weight they still consider themselves to be bigger. They look at clothing that WOULD fit them and still see themselves as bigger and pass them up. In their minds they are always fat. This is not for everyone but it is for a great deal of people. There is nothing saying that you have to lie when someone asks, "Am I fat?" But if you tell them they are, you are doing a great diservice to them. Fat=disgusting, ugly, unwanted to a great deal of people. It hurts. It really honestly deep down to the core hurts. I will never EVER forget the faces or the words of those people who said that I was fat. It hurt so much. You can tell me that I need to stop living in the past, that I need to move on, but you don't forget too easily the words that hurt. How much different would it be if you were to list a quality that you do like? What would happen if you showed the person how beautiful they truly are? Beautiful eyes, gorgeous smile, perfect hair? I am not blaming anyone. I just saying, that even if it is the truth and you think that it will help the person, it hurts. for a long time. and you will actually be doing them a great wrong than a right.
Lilllabettt Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 If someone asks me "am i fat?" I generally say something along the lines of: "yes. Oh my gosh. how did you get down the stairs today. I'm surprised the Montel Williams Show didn't need to come break down a wall and take you out on a forklift." Where healthy weight people are concerned, I've found that a good natured mocking does more to convince people that they are being ridiculous. Where pleasingly plump folks are concerned, it can diffuse a tense, anxiety producing situation. (And then at a later date, I will tell them [u]my[/u] doc says I need to get healthy, will they support me diet/exercise wise. ) Of course, if you use the mocking method, you have to make it clear you're kidding. I also do not recommend that guys use this. When I was fat, I never asked anyone if I was fat. I would ask, sometimes, "do these pants make me look fat?" and by that I meant "especially fat." I knew I was fat, and I knew everyone else knew I was fat. I did not like admitting it to myself and I certainly did not want anyone to tell me. It did not matter if whomever said it was being malicious or just trying to be helpful. It hurt the same.
Christie_M Posted November 19, 2008 Posted November 19, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1704819' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:24 PM']If someone asks me "am i fat?" I generally say something along the lines of: "yes. Oh my gosh. how did you get down the stairs today. I'm surprised the Montel Williams Show didn't need to come break down a wall and take you out on a forklift." Where healthy weight people are concerned, I've found that a good natured mocking does more to convince people that they are being ridiculous. Where pleasingly plump folks are concerned, it can diffuse a tense, anxiety producing situation. (And then at a later date, I will tell them [u]my[/u] doc says I need to get healthy, will they support me diet/exercise wise. ) Of course, if you use the mocking method, you have to make it clear you're kidding. I also do not recommend that guys use this. When I was fat, I never asked anyone if I was fat. I would ask, sometimes, "do these pants make me look fat?" and by that I meant "especially fat." I knew I was fat, and I knew everyone else knew I was fat. I did not like admitting it to myself and I certainly did not want anyone to tell me. It did not matter if whomever said it was being malicious or just trying to be helpful. It hurt the same.[/quote] Sarcasm is great, too, acctually. especially if the other person laughs. I know when i shop for clothes i NEVER ask "does this make me look fat?" couse i know i am pretty phat : I usually ask "does this make me look like i have WAY too many bad curves?" lol and i usually get a sarcastic remarc from my sisters which puts me in a better mood. But for the most part i think that people need to stop worrying about other people's thoughts on issues like that and just go whith whatever makes you feels comfy. IMHO Edited November 19, 2008 by Christie_M
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now