PapaHilarious Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Anybody see the ABC segment about this group or the HBO documentary? [url="http://www.abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaithMatters/story?id=4013475&page=1"]www.abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaithMatters/story?id=4013475&page=1[/url] Yelling at kids who have attempted suicide or calling people out because they're fat? My wife and I were laughing and rolling our eyes until the lead "minister" mentioned being Catholic. Suddenly it was much more embarrassing than funny. *sigh*
Noel's angel Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 'Unordained priest'??? What??? The man seems about as Catholic as my washing machine.
Adrestia Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 He sounds manic. but then again, so does John Kitna sometimes...
XIX Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 [quote name='Noel's angel' post='1435560' date='Dec 18 2007, 07:31 AM']'Unordained priest'??? What??? The man seems about as Catholic as my washing machine.[/quote] Is your washing machine Catholic?
prose Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I dunno... He probably doesn't call himself a unordained priest. That was probably an uneducated journalist. It seems like some of what he does could be effective. He doesn't call people Fat just to do it (from what I understand), it is in the context of: People call some people fat, some people tall, some people Catholic... etc. I think the article may have skewed him the wrong way.
prose Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 (edited) [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ChdbXbOw_M4"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ChdbXbOw_M4[/url] [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=3R4k302AYpk&feature=related"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=3R4k302AYpk&feature=related[/url] [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=R7gjaBeIipo&feature=related"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=R7gjaBeIipo&feature=related[/url] Edited December 18, 2007 by prose
Lil Red Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 [quote name='prose' post='1435735' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:02 PM']I dunno... He probably doesn't call himself a unordained priest. That was probably an uneducated journalist. It seems like some of what he does could be effective. He doesn't call people Fat just to do it (from what I understand), it is in the context of: People call some people fat, some people tall, some people Catholic... etc. I think the article may have skewed him the wrong way.[/quote] agreed to all the points you made. let's not jump on the judging too fast bandwagon, people.
jeffpugh Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 This is a pet peeve... someone drops a whole buncha youtubes and doesn't even comment.
Lil Red Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 prose commented before she dropped the youtube videos or do you mean commented on the videos themselves?
Mateo el Feo Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Ahhh, nothing like an HBO documentary to teach people about Catholicism. Hold on...I think I'm going to be sick. LOL
Noel's angel Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Watched the videos. He's still as Catholic as my washing machine. I've never seen my washing machine at Mass...
jeffpugh Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I was talking about commentary about the videos. Noel's Angel filled in for Prose this time...
God Conquers Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Having browsed their website I'm convinced that they're awesome. A bit hardcore, but genuine and awesome.
dUSt Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Check out their ministers: [url="http://www.hanm.org/ministers.html"]http://www.hanm.org/ministers.html[/url] One is Dan, from "God or the Girl" and another is Catholic rapper Oscar 210, who phatmass has worked with before. It's not a 100% "Catholic" thing. Weird. Not sure what to make of it...
Norseman82 Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 (edited) [quote name='God Conquers' post='1435791' date='Dec 18 2007, 03:45 PM']Having browsed their website I'm convinced that they're awesome. A bit hardcore, but genuine and awesome.[/quote] I checked the website, too, and looked under "ministers": one of them is the long-haired guy who carried the cross 20+ miles on "God or the Girl". [url="http://www.hanm.org"]http://www.hanm.org[/url] edit: dUSt beat me to it. Edited December 18, 2007 by Norseman82
prose Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1435747' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:20 PM']This is a pet peeve... someone drops a whole buncha youtubes and doesn't even comment. [/quote] I posted them so people could see another side other than the article posted and make their own decision.
Autumn Dusk Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I can do better than you all. I've actually met the guy, more than once. I have friends in syracuse and onadaga. 1) He's all Catholic. He believes in the doctrines and lives them (rather obnoxiously, but atleast he does live them) 2) He yells loud to make a point. Its his personalty. Wiether he called a kid fat or not or how he approches abuse, sucide and eating disorders depends on the person. He can read people well. Some kids DO get stuck in traps of suicide/self-harm/eating disorders LOOKING to be rescued. I did not like him, personally. I found him to be annoying. However, I also don't like TML so go figure.
Norseman82 Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Well, I read the original link, and watched the You Tube videos, and although I saw nothing in the videos where he yelled at fat or suicidal people, what the ABC news link reports about him believing he has been "chosen" to do this is, to me, a "red flag" of a religious cult, so I just hope that the church authorities keep him under close watch, otherwise we are looking at a potential cross between Dr. Steve-O and Professor Turgeson turned religious nut.
prose Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I feel chosen to do youth ministry. Doesnt everyone feel called to their vocation?
dUSt Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I have no problem with his style and approach. Judging with very limited information, I'm skeptical (and yet hopeful) on the orthodoxy to the church.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now